DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks like our group is planning on going to the Coke ovens overlook next Friday. Planning on fording the Gila. Hope the flow is low enough.
Sounds like you're going where I was yesterday. Here's a link to river flow. Very low right now.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you're going where I was yesterday. Here's a link to river flow. Very low right now.
That’s the plan for now. Because several of our riders don’t have trailers, we’ll drive Willow Springs Rd, Freeman Rd and Barkersville Rd to get to the area. At least we’ll use a lot less total fuel for this trip.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
advertisement
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You cross the river at Cochran or the railroad bridge?
You cross the river at Cochran or the railroad bridge?
About 1,100 ft due north of bridge, to the east of the bend in the river. Water was only about 6” deep and the bottom was firm. Had lunch at the RR bridge and it looked like a few tried to cross there, but with difficulty. Pretty muddy on the east side.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
About 1,100 ft due north of bridge, to the east of the bend in the river. Water was only about 6” deep and the bottom was firm. Had lunch at the RR bridge and it looked like a few tried to cross there, but with difficulty. Pretty muddy on the east side.
I should have been clear...the ford past the bridge, which is where it sounds like you crossed. Good info.

I ask about Cochran ford (battle-axe road) because the last time I was there, the gate was "tied" shut in a manner that suggested someone was trying to keep people from opening it. In redid the wire to allow it to be opened and closed as normal. I never even knew there was a gate there, as it's always been wide open. I ask on fb, etc, and nobody knew of any reasons it should have been closed.

Could have simply been a ranch hand that didn't know what's what I guess. Thinking about heading up there. I want to explore the area north of the Coke ovens...

Reactions: Biteme and J80
PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should have been clear...the ford past the bridge, which is where it sounds like you crossed. Good info.

I ask about Cochran ford (battle-axe road) because the last time I was there, the gate was "tied" shut in a manner that suggested someone was trying to keep people from opening it. In redid the wire to allow it to be opened and closed as normal. I never even knew there was a gate there, as it's always been wide open. I ask on fb, etc, and nobody knew of any reasons it should have been closed.

Could have simply been a ranch hand that didn't know what's what I guess. Thinking about heading up there. I want to explore the area north of the Coke ovens...
Last time I was in the area we came through Walnut canyon. Pretty area. Staged off of SR 177

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Saw this while sitting above the coke ovens...

One of them continued out if sight. Another went up to higher elevation and sort of hovered around the area, while the last two circled a small ridge just east of south Butte, just above the tree line (if there were trees). This went on for what seemed like 20 minutes until I left.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!