Multi Shots from the trail.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was the one above the smelter in line of sight of the one you were at? I've seen something like this at a different mining location. I was led to believe that this was some antiquated communication or microwave repeater. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on communications will weigh in.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Was the one above the smelter in line of sight of the one you were at? I've seen something like this at a different mining location. I was led to believe that this was some antiquated communication or microwave repeater. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on communications will weigh in.
Yes it was. I was standing at the base of the 1st one when I snapped the pic. Kinda figured it was something like that.

Here is the second with no zoom...

IMG 20211023 141701214 HDR

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there a fault line through there? Wonder if it's measuring equipment of some sort?
All of Arizonas open pit mines have faults running though them to one degree or another. The closest active mine is Ray mine about 20mi away. Haven't been up that way for a few years, and things change but they used feed the concentrator and smelter by rail from the pit.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yesterday was time for another campsite oil change, one of the downsides of being retired :p and on the road most of the summer. It's getting down to freezing at night so there's time in the mornings to do this while it's warming up.

As usual, the camera doesn't do this justice but you go up it or backtrack an hour.

The reward -

Yesterday's GAIA track, there's tons of riding in Utah -

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great shots CID. Always reminds me of great times riding motorcycles in western New Mexico in the early 70’s. Juniper and Piñon trees, clear blue sky and great vistas. No UTV requirements to deal with. Those were the really good times.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Up at Florence box canyon for the first time in months. I've been told the monsoon rains completely rearranged the canyon itself, so I wanted to check it out. This is a beautiful place but it's crowded as hell, so I generally avoid it.

But I have ridden the place pretty extensively, so it's rare to find a trail but I have never been on before, but that was the case today after looking at satellite images last night. I saw a faint to track off the main road, where erosion and continuous traffic at sort of obscured the entrance. This one headed east in the general direction of North Butte, and access to that area is pretty limited as far as mechanical travel. The trail ended short of going anywhere spectacular which is pretty much what I expected. Still, a new trail to me and a beautiful day in the desert...

IMG 20211030 111530406 HDR
IMG 20211030 111135268 HDR

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it is.
I did a road job on old highway route 666 through there, seems like a hundred years ago.
Blew up a rock outcrop along the road I think locals called dog head. Boy, people were pissed about the new road taking out the rock out crop.
I spendt a good bit of my free time wandering around that country. Did I mention flour gold. And Hot in the summer..
Nice pics, thanks.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
IMG 20211030 141824566

Something happened to me for the 1st time. On the way back from the Coke ovens area, I came across a guy walking and talking on his phone, so I knew something was up. I stopped, and he ask if I had any tools. Turns out he was in a General with 3 other guys, and they had broken a tie rod end In a narrow rock wedge, blocking the trail completely (not that I wouldn't have stopped anyway). They had a spare, but weren't able to get the jam nut loose with what they had, so I lent them my pipe wrench.
10 minutes and they were moving again, and one of the guys insisted on giving me a $20, even though I told him not to worry about it and pay it forward.
I've seen 1 or 2 being towed or worked on, but this was the 1st I've came across broken and stranded.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I've seen 1 or 2 being towed or worked on, but this was the 1st I've came across broken and stranded.
To be fair I've seen a number of p1k's with bent tie rods on the trail.
Just the group's I ride with carry tools and tie rods.
If you say "I think I hear a Popo comming" the Honda fan boys can really get a move on.
"Nothin to see here" (tools scattered in the mud and a honda fan boy with grease up to his elbows)
😁

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
To be fair I've seen a number of p1k's with bent tie rods on the trail.
Just the group's I ride with carry tools and tie rods.
If you say "I think I hear a Popo comming" the Honda fan boys can really get a move on.
"Nothin to see here" (tools scattered in the mud and a honda fan boy with grease up to his elbows)
😁
I actually ended up breaking the jam nut loose (reverse threads...wtf?). I didn't see the tapered shaft that goes into the knuckle, but the rest of the rod end was actually beefier than a 700's.

Not sure how they did it. I ask and he laughed and said "because it is a f***ing Polaris!". They said they had a spare because they knew it was "loose". Now I'm wondering if I should carry one.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!