DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I was in Florence yesterday. Headed home around 1:00pm and the temp was 75. Ran through some pretty good rains, but by the time we got to Oracle Jct., the temp was back up to 97. Really nice rain later in the afternoon.
I was out on Florence Kelvin highway. That's kinda my go-to for a just-to-get-out ride. I missed the 1st one that rolled through about 9:00ish by minutes. But It looked like it had dumped pretty good on Florence. Couldn't even see north and south buttes until I was almost even with them.

If you haven't been out there lately, they are finally doing a bridge/culvert over the big wash just past Cochran road that always runs under heavy rains. I was worried the fresh dozing dirt might be impassable after the rain, but I was surprised to see the bridge completed and the run up paved. By the time I unloaded at Tecote ranch road, it was sunny and in the 90's again. I did my usual meandering around.

My intentions were to do the loop around Ripsey mine, over to hackberry wash and back up to Tecote ranch road. By the time I goof around a lot, that's usually a pretty good few hours, time wise, but by the time I was into the head of Ripsey wash, another cell was over me with lots of thunder and lightning strikes within probably 5-10 miles, so I hauled down into Ripsey wash to get low.

For those of you reading this who "know", you're probably thinking aren't you supposed to avoid low places like a wash during rain? And you're right, BUT...Ripsey is a wide "wash", really more like a small canyon at it's lowest points. It'll take a biblical downpour to make it flow with a dangerous amount of water up that far, and I was parked right next to the turn up out of the wash under a small tree (where I broke my tailight). The lightning was of far more concern than water at that point.

It passed, but my view of the direction the weather was approaching is blocked by about 3/4 of the loop I was planning and another shower hit before I could even get over to Ripsey mine. I backtracked up to the wide valley with Tecote ranch road and thought about just going that way for a bit, but at that point I could see that rains were going to be continuing for some time, so I called it and headed back to the Tahoe. It just started raining as I was loading...and it was good timing because it POURED all the way back into Florence. The 700 is clean as a whistle.

I only have a rain poncho. I guess if a had a full rain suit on a warmer day like that, it wouldn't be all that just to keep going...but that area up out of the washes is fairly flat with lots of exposure, and the lightning was flashing in the distance. Just had to do the smart thing and live to ride another day.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was out on Florence Kelvin highway. That's kinda my go-to for a just-to-get-out ride. I missed the 1st one that rolled through about 9:00ish by minutes. But It looked like it had dumped pretty good on Florence. Couldn't even see north and south buttes until I was almost even with them.

If you haven't been out there lately, they are finally doing a bridge/culvert over the big wash just past Cochran road that always runs under heavy rains. I was worried the fresh dozing dirt might be impassable after the rain, but I was surprised to see the bridge completed and the run up paved. By the time I unloaded at Tecote ranch road, it was sunny and in the 90's again. I did my usual meandering around.

My intentions were to do the loop around Ripsey mine, over to hackberry wash and back up to Tecote ranch road. By the time I goof around a lot, that's usually a pretty good few hours, time wise, but by the time I was into the head of Ripsey wash, another cell was over me with lots of thunder and lightning strikes within probably 5-10 miles, so I hauled down into Ripsey wash to get low.

For those of you reading this who "know", you're probably thinking aren't you supposed to avoid low places like a wash during rain? And you're right, BUT...Ripsey is a wide "wash", really more like a small canyon at it's lowest points. It'll take a biblical downpour to make it flow with a dangerous amount of water up that far, and I was parked right next to the turn up out of the wash under a small tree (where I broke my tailight). The lightning was of far more concern than water at that point.

It passed, but my view of the direction the weather was approaching is blocked by about 3/4 of the loop I was planning and another shower hit before I could even get over to Ripsey mine. I backtracked up to the wide valley with Tecote ranch road and thought about just going that way for a bit, but at that point I could see that rains were going to be continuing for some time, so I called it and headed back to the Tahoe. It just started raining as I was loading...and it was good timing because it POURED all the way back into Florence. The 700 is clean as a whistle.

I only have a rain poncho. I guess if a had a full rain suit on a warmer day like that, it wouldn't be all that just to keep going...but that area up out of the washes is fairly flat with lots of exposure, and the lightning was flashing in the distance. Just had to do the smart thing and live to ride another day.
Good decision.

Soaz1000

Soaz1000

Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2018
Soaz
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was in Florence yesterday. Headed home around 1:00pm and the temp was 75. Ran through some pretty good rains, but by the time we got to Oracle Jct., the temp was back up to 97. Really nice rain later in the afternoon.
Glad it's raining somewhere in the state. South of Tucson it clouds up with high winds and dust all we get is enough sprinkles to mud up your vehicles.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Out the damn way, Talon commin’ through. :cool:

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sitting here listening to the occasional thunder boom in the distance, I'm reminded of the song "And The thunder rolls". The Girth Brookes version. Not that newer one by Skrillex or whatever with that crazy b**** singing through her nose...

IMG 20220625 133743656 HDR

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sitting here listening to the occasional thunder boom in the distance, I'm reminded of the song "And The thunder rolls". The Girth Brookes version. Not that newer one by Skrillex or whatever with that crazy b**** singing through her nose...

View attachment 340764
Garth's the best version!

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 340764
Looks like the early monsoon season is upon us.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know, all we ever see see are palmetto bushes and water holes.
Before moving to Arizona, I lived in Florida for 14 yrs. Here, I can be in the desert in about 5 minutes from my house or a 10 minute drive on state roads to get to the mountains. Unfortunately, 100 degree temps are not a lot of fun anywhere.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!