P1000 Should I buy a 1000-5 with all of the issues in these forums?

C

catbad

Jun 4, 2016
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was getting ready to buy one and after reading all of the threads/reviews it's got me scared. Between the clutch issues, catastrophic failures and heat under the seat I am wondering if I should hold off to see if these issues are fixed with the 2017? I can live with the dump bed issue.

Reactions: 0860silverado
DRAGFOOT

DRAGFOOT

Lifetime Member
Mar 16, 2016
MINNESOTA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There is NO heat from the seat if you don't have a windshield. But yes, you should still buy one, I bet you wont regret it.

Reactions: zin01 and sharp
N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ever been on an internet forum before? The issues are always brought up, and talked about more than the positives. It doesn't matter the make, model, or type of vehicle. The clutch issue is a seldom occurring problem that can be avoided in most cases by using the outlined operating guidelines in the manual. The units that have been affected have all been taken care of by Honda under warranty, I believe. The catastrophic failure thread is related to ONE unit! Learn from this, and if you plan on riding in water put a snorkel on your machine! This is my first SXS, but the heat issue seems to be a common problem with lots of different machines. Kind of the nature of the beast, when you are sitting on top of the motor. This can be addressed by sending Bayouwnbeer $25, and he will send you a perfectly cut out heat shield to go under the seat. If you want a SXS with lots of power, 5 person seating, dump bed, and a short wheel base that will get you through dam near any trail you come across, you only have one option.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I was getting ready to buy one and after reading all of the threads/reviews it's got me scared. Between the clutch issues, catastrophic failures and heat under the seat I am wondering if I should hold off to see if these issues are fixed with the 2017? I can live with the dump bed issue.

1st yr models always have some issues, especially a ground up new model. If they are major problems Honda will fix them. If you arent in a bigass hurry I would just wait for a 2017.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just get it. There will be a new crop of issues with the 17,18,19 etc. that seem like a big deal when you read a forum. I believe the clutch issue was limited to some of the first ones off the line. The heat can be blocked. And the catastrophic failure was just bad luck. You got to jump in somewhere!

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ever been on an internet forum before? The issues are always brought up, and talked about more than the positives. It doesn't matter the make, model, or type of vehicle. The clutch issue is a seldom occurring problem that can be avoided in most cases by using the outlined operating guidelines in the manual. The units that have been affected have all been taken care of by Honda under warranty, I believe. The catastrophic failure thread is related to ONE unit! Learn from this, and if you plan on riding in water put a snorkel on your machine! This is my first SXS, but the heat issue seems to be a common problem with lots of different machines. Kind of the nature of the beast, when you are sitting on top of the motor. This can be addressed by sending Bayouwnbeer $25, and he will send you a perfectly cut out heat shield to go under the seat. If you want a SXS with lots of power, 5 person seating, dump bed, and a short wheel base that will get you through dam near any trail you come across, you only have one option.
Also to control the heat under seat you can add a boat engine type bilge fan to blow out the hot air. Very compact and reasonable on Amazon. Bought two and while my 1000 deluxe is in shop for 100 mile service, they are looking where best to mount. Will enjoy the heat in Winter during hunts in November. :)

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes don't wait unless you want a sport SXS. I have almost 800 miles with no problems that can't be fixed easy like the heat problem just insulate under the seat.

Reactions: DPort
C

Carson_Blocks

Jun 9, 2016
Airdrie, Ab
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was in the same boat as you. After reading about the clutch issues, I thought there was no way I wanted one of these, despite liking the features and ergonomics. So, I started reading the forums for the other brands, to see which of those were problem free. Every single UTV or ATV has it's problems, and most of them have a much wider range of problems, more common problems, and/or much more expensive problems than the Honda. I realized that none of these UTVs were going to be as bulletproof as a Toyota Corolla, and that this was likely the best of the bunch, so last night I put a deposit down on a 1000-5.

My advice would be to do some reading on the other brands, and try out a few machines. What really sold me was driving a John Deere Gator 860i, then driving the Pioneer. The Honda is 100x quieter and more refined, and it really cemented my decision that this was the right UTV for me. Thanks to this forum and the other people posting their problems, we have a heads-up on how to be a little easier on the 1-3-5 clutch and what to look for if it's going south, and know there is a potential for water ingestion and how to mitigate that risk.

Last edited:
C

catbad

Jun 4, 2016
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I was in the same boat as you. After reading about the clutch issues, I thought there was no way I wanted one of these, despite liking the features and ergonomics. So, I started reading the forums for the other brands, to see which of those were problem free. Every single UTV otr ATV has it's problems, and most of them have a much wider range of problems, more common problems, and/or much much more expensive problems than the Honda. I realized that none of these UTVs were going to be as bulletproof as a Toyota Corolla, and that this was likely the best of the bunch, so last night I put a deposit down on a 1000-5.

My advice would be to do some reading on the other brands, and try out a few machines. What really sold me was driving a John Deere Gator 860i, then driving the Pioneer. The Honda is 100x quieter and more refined, and it really cemented my decision that this was the right UTV for me. Thanks to this forum and the other people posting their problems, we have a heads-up on how to be a little easier on the 1-3-5 clutch and what to look for if it's going south, and know there is a potential for water ingestion and how to mitigate that risk.

C

catbad

Jun 4, 2016
Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I went a test drove the 1000-5 for 1st time today. Only complaint was the feel of the transmission. I could feel every gear shift more than I would have thought. Does it break in over time?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yes - it breaks in. Mine is much smother after a couple hundred miles.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It takes alittle getting used to all the different sounds it makes. Mine has quieted down especially after I did the first service. It smooths out

Reactions: Upstatefreedom
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

I personally am not going to buy a P1000 but it has nothing to do with anything I read on the forum. I am not getting it because it doesn't meet my needs for the price and my wife liked it the least.

If you test drive it (or ride in someone's) and you like it and it meets your needs and your price, you should get it, don't let things you read on the internet dissuade you.

I do recommend though, doing what I did and use this forum to determine what to look for specifically when I test drove one. If you go in with both eyes open and know what the potential downsides are and they don't bother you, then go for it. There are a lot of really good people on this forum that will help and share their experiences and you can leverage that to make your decision and fix the things that you might not like or might bother you about the P1000.

Reactions: joeymt33
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I was recently in your shoes,my only regret since buying a deluxe 120 miles ago. I should have bought one before I had saved up the money to pay for it! The first day it seemed loud and jerky, then I began to appreciate how quiet and Smooth it was! Everyone says it gets quieter and smoother after break in but I think you just get used to it . Lots of money,but no way I would be happy with a cvt, no matter what make. Once it hits high gear and run smoothly at 40mph all of the other machines I drove became obselete to me. The heat sucks and I will rip honda about it when I get time, but it's not a deal breaker to me.

Reactions: swsebek
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I went a test drove the 1000-5 for 1st time today. Only complaint was the feel of the transmission. I could feel every gear shift more than I would have thought. Does it break in over time?

What part of TN are you in? If you are in West TN buy from Abernathy's, you can't beat their price. But don't test drive there, they don't really have a good place to do it anymore. Go to Outerlimits in Dyersburg, they have a used P1000 EPS model and a small test track out behind their building that will let you see what it feels like on bumps and hills and with a windshield/roof/hard rear windshield. IF you are considering these accessories, you really, really need to try before you buy. It does change things. (Or it did for me)

R

rmk700

Mar 6, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That shifting noise is a beautiful sound.......lets me know I'm not running a CVT belt.

I actually would of preferred a tranny like my 04 Honda Rubicon has, (Hondamatic) you could hardly tell it was shifting.
I'd still like to know why they got rid of that for the DCT.

For the record, I'm very tickled about my P1000-5.

Reactions: joeymt33 and JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Go read the problems on the Polaris forums you may never buy a SXS. LOL It is always the same 5% of the people making 95% of the complaints on the internet. The other 95% are too busy riding their Honda Pioneers to complain.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go read the problems on the Polaris forums you may never buy a SXS. LOL It is always the same 5% of the people making 95% of the complaints on the internet. The other 95% are too busy riding their Honda Pioneers to complain.

+1

Reactions: Chad123
N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or maybe you're really into roasting weenies and marshmallows?
1gnd61

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!