P500 Should i buy a p520

G

Gb3

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe wa
Ownership

1. 500
Was debating on p520 or ranger 500,or 570. My dealers won't let me test ride so can only look. Mostly for hunting and play. Does polaris really have that many issues? And un reliable? The p500 did not really do it for me but now the p520 caught my eye. Could be a good all around rig and reliable. Any suggestions would help. Putting 27s on p520 and going hunting sounds great, but would be doing grocery shopping with it to on the road and wondered if they handle on street at 35 mph. Any must do mods to p520?

Raghorn

Raghorn

Aug 26, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Personally, I'll never go back to Polaris. I had a Sportsman 400. It was a great when it ran...but that is the catch. I couldn't rely on it. My family has a cheap, old 97 Recon 250 that has been abused way more than it should have been and it still runs as faithfully as ever.

While the P500/P520 will not be a speed demon, it is great for my style of trail riding and hunting. The lack of a top end can be a bummer on the long, open dirt roads in-between trails, but it is a livable issue. I'll take a slower, reliable machine over the opposite any day.

While it'll go 35, it might be screaming the whole way. Depends how long the drive is to get groceries.

It's all up to you and your style. Best of luck!

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Was debating on p520 or ranger 500,or 570. My dealers won't let me test ride so can only look. Mostly for hunting and play. Does polaris really have that many issues? And un reliable? The p500 did not really do it for me but now the p520 caught my eye. Could be a good all around rig and reliable. Any suggestions would help. Putting 27s on p520 and going hunting sounds great, but would be doing grocery shopping with it to on the road and wondered if they handle on street at 35 mph. Any must do mods to p520?
500-520 About the same except the dump bed . Reports have WOT on 520 @ 38mph . 500 is 40-41 . You can run both all day long WOT and they will be fine . If you're thinking rzr 570 just get the 900 trail . Same size but MUCH faster an fun . I have Pioneer & RZR 900 trail . Honestly no problems with either one but I really like being able to shift so when I ride 50" I chose the Honda 80% .OOPS , forgot to mention , the RZR rides MUCH better then the Pioneer and is comfortable to set in . The Pioneers are sport/utility vehicles and the RZR 900 trail is a sport machine . Makes it hard to compare them .

Last edited:
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Owned both Polaris & Honda. You will spend more time wrenching = $$$$ on Polaris.

Your usage description points toward the need of rear box therefore the P520. ( you pegged it Honda Reliability & good all around )

With Windshield & Roof you will need Rear window to help keep dust & exhaust fumes out ( back draft ) & maybe a tarp to cover the groceries.
( only limited to contents of your wallet )

Do not buy SxS Without a Test Drive Around parking lot at minimum .
Even if you have to travel to Another Dealer get a test drive ( better sure than buyer remorse )

On good gravel road the P500 with 27's does 25 to 32- 33 mph comfortably. ( OEM dash Speedo)

So few P520's out there right now maybe someone that has one will chime in.

wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Purely anecdotal...but at my hunting camp over the many years I've seen guys with both Polaris ATVs and Honda ATVs. I've never seen a Honda have any issues. The two guys with Polaris ATVs both had issues while at the hunting camp. Both of the atvs were relatively new at the time. These were ATVs...not SXSs; but it's enough evidence for me regarding brand reliability.

I've owned nothing but Hondas since 1995 due to reliability and have no regrets. My hunting buddy who is a mechanic told me when I first bought an ATV to go with Honda, which is what he always did. This week I put a deposit on a P520. Looked at Polaris, but decided to stick with the brand that has always worked for me.

Regarding Pioneer vs RZR... IMO that's like deciding between a pickup truck and a sports car. Depends on what you want to use it for.

Aerolite

Aerolite

Jan 10, 2021
Oxford Mills ON
Ownership

1. 500
I've had my P52 for three weeks now and I am very pleased with it so far. We did a 70km ride a couple of Sunday's ago which involved about 20 minutes of riding down a dirt road to get to a large local trail network. This was on the stock wheels and tires. I was still breaking the machine in but cruised between 45 and 55kph. On the way home gave it a quick burst of flat out and speedo showed governor kicking in at 61kph. It cruised along happy as can be at those speeds and felt very stable. We are in no rush to get places these days and just enjoyed the scenery and being outside, so the slower speeds are just fine for us. I just put 27's on it with 4+3 offset rims. With the 27" Kenda Bear Claw HTR's it feels quite different on the road. Not as smooth and stable feeling as the stock set up for sure, but still ok. I only did a few test runs up and down our paved road, so I'm sure it will feel better when I get onto the dirt roads. I did some test runs before and after with a GPS and it showed an average speed increase of 7kph with the 27's and flat out showed 64kph. They definitely feel better on the trails though, the ride is better and machine feels more planted. But both were short rides so I'm looking forward to a longer ride soon to get a better feel for the new setup.
I've never owned a four wheeler of any kind, but have owned many Honda dirt bikes over the years and was always happy with quality and reliability of them. I also have a couple of friends who have owned Honda ATV's for years at their cottages and the things have been bulletproof. I also liked the fact the Honda has a tranny and not a belt. Our dealer let us test drive for as long as we wanted around the shop and in area beside them.
My only complaint, and it was with all three Pioneer models, is that I could use a couple more inches of legroom, I'm 5'10" but legs feel a bit cramped. I also have a rear fabric window coming, (already have front windsreen and roof), as when we were riding down the dirt road and it was a mild day, a fine mist of dirt from the slushy snow and dirt road came up from behind and coated the backs of us and the rear view mirror, and also a fine layer of dirt on the inside of the windscreen. I don't mind getting dirty but this was just kinda annoying. When I was trying out the new wheels in the field of deep snow beside us, there was a good fine mist of snow that came up from behind again and covered us, so this rear window should work well to stop that, and dust in the summer. Other than that, I'm loving it, and as soon as it stops snowing today, I'll be out plowing with it again, woohoo!

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I will concede that Polaris does a fairly decent job at putting together some nicely optioned/looking machines, but I don't think the reliability is there. And piss on the belt drive BS.

If you ever hop on YouTube, check out Matt's Off Road Recovery channel. Granted, there are probably way more RZRs out there than Pioneers, but I have yet to see a Honda needing recovered on his channel. He recovers BOATLOADS of RZRs out in Utah. It also surprises me just how little it takes to break one. Hit a rock a little wrong? Tierod. Got a little air? There's a new A-Arm.

No thanks. I'll stick with the uglier, slower, less frills, but solid as a rock Pioneer.

advertisement
wvupsc

wvupsc

Feb 1, 2021
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I swear I saw a camo one on a trailer yesterday on I-75. I was hauling ass and he was getting off on an exit so i didn't get a good look at it. It was either that or this guy did some fancy stickers on the side of a homemade bed on a P5.
I had the opportunity last week to buy a camo 520 from a dealer about 2 hours from where I live. The quote he gave me was almost $2k more than a quote from a dealer 30 min from my house...although the more local dealer didn't have it in hand yet (I have deposit on first one delivered). The ~$2k difference even a accounted for the $600 Honda upcharge for camo. The dealership with the camo 520 padded the price everywhere possible, especially on the accessories, accessories installation and dealer set up...and refused to budge. He sent me photos of the camo unit. It does look nice but I wouldn't pay an extra $600 for it. Certainly not $2500 more. Plus I would rather have the more local dealer for any future service/maintenance issues.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Had 2 Polaris atvs for 19 yrs, 400 and 250, no issues. Now have a P500 had a bad voltage regulator and a Polaris ACE 570, no issues. Different rides for difference riding fun. P500 is better for hills due to geared engine braking.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I had the opportunity last week to buy a camo 520 from a dealer about 2 hours from where I live. The quote he gave me was almost $2k more than a quote from a dealer 30 min from my house...although the more local dealer didn't have it in hand yet (I have deposit on first one delivered). The ~$2k difference even a accounted for the $600 Honda upcharge for camo. The dealership with the camo 520 padded the price everywhere possible, especially on the accessories, accessories installation and dealer set up...and refused to budge. He sent me photos of the camo unit. It does look nice but I wouldn't pay an extra $600 for it. Certainly not $2500 more. Plus I would rather have the more local dealer for any future service/maintenance issues.

Keep in mind, and I seem to remember it was the standard for many, the day of purchase all accessories were 15% off from the dealer. After that 10%. If they're not giving you a similar deal then they're gouging.

G

Gb3

Nov 19, 2020
Monroe wa
Ownership

1. 500
Man what a hard decision. Never thought of high rpm at 35. Where it's street legal in Washington is 35mph so would be riding that speed quiet often into town. Where ranger 570 could cruise at 35 alot easier than p520. But reliable honda pulls away from a belt operated ranger any day. Sucks the p1,000 to go 65 mph cost ya almost another 10,000. Darn honda love hate relationships

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Man what a hard decision. Never thought of high rpm at 35. Where it's street legal in Washington is 35mph so would be riding that speed quiet often into town. Where ranger 570 could cruise at 35 alot easier than p520. But reliable honda pulls away from a belt operated ranger any day. Sucks the p1,000 to go 65 mph cost ya almost another 10,000. Darn honda love hate relationships

Yeah but if you can handle the noise it'll handle the rpm's. I've had mine matted all day on group rides with P1's. It'll suck the fuel pushing it that hard but I was never worried about breaking down. I usually tell new owners to go ahead and try to break it, good luck with that, it's a Honda.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
IMO the Popo belts fail to hard driving operators, not using the low gear on trails and hills under 25 mph. Never replaced a belt with conservative riding style. But for slow chugging in the boonies, I”ll take the P500 with the locker and power steering. For fast riding, the PoPo 570 will do 60 mph.

HiFive

HiFive

Apr 17, 2019
West Central Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I drove a a Polaris 570 while on a trip in the Turk Caicos Islands. Did 55 mile an hour on the Hard Road. Enjoyed driving it but did not enjoy having to climb in and out of it. I like my P5 so much better it's easy to get in and out of and it has plenty of torque for most everyday driving situations. I find that I don't drive faster than 20 to 25 miles an hour at all and most times it's even less than that. the fastest I've driven it is 40 miles an hour. but speed is not what it's designed for in my opinion.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I can't believe they wouldn't let you test drive. That is ridiculous. I guess it's a seller's market.

A year and a half ago I bought a new 1000 5 seater deluxe for 13994 plus $840 sales tax once I got it home. LOL. I can't believe how much everything is going for now. At this rate I'll never be able to buy anything ever again. But I'll take care of the Honda and I hope it will continue to take care of me for a long time.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I couldn't test drive because dealer said I needed a salesperson to ride along and due to the china virus they would not allow test drives. Never ever buy without a test drive.
Tell the fricken salesperson to wear a full face helmet. Greater chance of getting germs from opening the dealers front door handle.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!