P1000 Should I buy water damaged 1000-5

C

Capn1

Apr 28, 2020
SEMO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I found a 2016 1000-5 eps for sale with the "motor knocking." He says it went in a deep water hole about two months ago and its been parked ever since. It runs but he doesn't want to drive it with it like that. He hasn't checked anything else out because he says he wouldn't know what to look for.

My question is: How much could this thing cost to fix? I saw a thread from a few years ago where a guy sucked some water in and bent a rod but there were no prices.

I feel like the most common response is going to be "don't touch it" but at what price would you touch it? $7000 $5000 $2000?

Any and all discussion is welcome and appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, please move if it is.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I found a 2016 1000-5 eps for sale with the "motor knocking." He says it went in a deep water hole about two months ago and its been parked ever since. It runs but he doesn't want to drive it with it like that. He hasn't checked anything else out because he says he wouldn't know what to look for.

My question is: How much could this thing cost to fix? I saw a thread from a few years ago where a guy sucked some water in and bent a rod but there were no prices.

I feel like the most common response is going to be "don't touch it" but at what price would you touch it? $7000 $5000 $2000?

Any and all discussion is welcome and appreciated. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot, please move if it is.
Well its a 5 year old machine. If it was bone stock, no accessories, in good shape, ran good and had low miles, i would say it would only be worth $11k. Thats a good starting point. I wouldn't touch it because I've never rebuilt a motor and don't have alot of free time to learn. Everything I've read looks like it would be expensive also.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It’s got a bent push rod. Hopefully it didn’t scar the block too bad. If you’re mechanical or have a buddy type deal you can probably get out for a couple grand with everything back solid. Dealer will cost up to 10k.
It generally totals the machine out. Happened to mine but I didn’t have the option to repair because at the time parts weren’t available but a friend I ride with just had his go same way and we talked insurance company into repair but it was done by a friend of mine that owns a Yamaha dealer and adjusted price down enough they went for it.
It is expensive and the tolerances are tight with Honda. Can be done and still be dependable. A few other people have rebuilt on here as well. Personally I’d say stay away unless you just get a smoking deal on it.

C

Capn1

Apr 28, 2020
SEMO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It’s got a bent push rod. Hopefully it didn’t scar the block too bad. If you’re mechanical or have a buddy type deal you can probably get out for a couple grand with everything back solid. Dealer will cost up to 10k.
It generally totals the machine out. Happened to mine but I didn’t have the option to repair because at the time parts weren’t available but a friend I ride with just had his go same way and we talked insurance company into repair but it was done by a friend of mine that owns a Yamaha dealer and adjusted price down enough they went for it.
It is expensive and the tolerances are tight with Honda. Can be done and still be dependable. A few other people have rebuilt on here as well. Personally I’d say stay away unless you just get a smoking deal on it.

Two grand for a buddy deal huh. I think I could do most of the work but I'll go ahead and call it $3000 plus new tires. That would put me around ten grand total plus a lot of work that I don't have time for. I think I'll pass.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm still looking for a deal.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
That motor is most likely worthless.
2 months sitting with water inside???
I can't imagine what has rusted inside.
It's worth 3 to 4k for it as a parts machine... if the diffs are not full of water also.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Two grand for a buddy deal huh. I think I could do most of the work but I'll go ahead and call it $3000 plus new tires. That would put me around ten grand total plus a lot of work that I don't have time for. I think I'll pass.

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm still looking for a deal.
I’m just amazed that he didn’t pull the plugs and pump the water out of it immediately, and oil it......🤔

Reactions: TimG
C

Capn1

Apr 28, 2020
SEMO
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m just amazed that he didn’t pull the plugs and pump the water out of it immediately, and oil it......🤔

I was asking him about the transmission and other things and he just didn't know what to look for or where to look. Too bad someone didn't get to it a day or two after it happened.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If it runs after water ingestion but engine is knocking he would’ve had to expel some of the water displacement. It’s not still full of water and runs.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If it runs after water ingestion but engine is knocking he would’ve had to expel some of the water displacement. It’s not still full of water and runs.
Well that was my point, I wouldn’t have started it. I would have taken it home, pulled the plugs, turned it over until the water was out and oiled it. Drain the crank case, trans, sub trans, diffs etc...😊

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it was me I’d toss 1-2 k at the owner.

I’d then try to secure a salvage rig.

Between the 2 of them I’d swap in the motor etc and sell all remaining duplicate parts.

Crashedtoys has a 1000-3 and a 1000-5 both ending today at their Minneapolis location.

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Id toss 2k at him. Then when i got it home i just pull the whole motor out and tear it compeltely down along with subtrans and trans then id flush the front and rear diffs. Take the entire intake and exhaust off and clean it inside. Then rebuidl the motor and trans per what is bad. Definitely all new bearings. You could probably easily be back on the trail around 4k. Total if doing it yourself. Now a shop. Atleast double that unless you can just find a cheap reman motor online.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!