BOX1

P1000 New 1000-5?

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I've has a 700-4 since 2020. It's done everything I've ever wanted within reason. But I think it's about time to step up to 1000-5, probably after hunting season though. If I call a dealer and order one what's the wait time/process? Put something down?

Is the Forest worth the extra over a base or deluxe? Will be used 70% for hunting/ club work. 30% riding at atv parks. I like the idea of the bed lights and self leveling shocks but shocks probably ain't needed and the bed lights, winch, etc I can probably do cheaper my self.

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I've has a 700-4 since 2020. It's done everything I've ever wanted within reason. But I think it's about time to step up to 1000-5, probably after hunting season though. If I call a dealer and order one what's the wait time/process? Put something down?

Is the Forest worth the extra over a base or deluxe? Will be used 70% for hunting/ club work. 30% riding at atv parks. I like the idea of the bed lights and self leveling shocks but shocks probably ain't needed and the bed lights, winch, etc I can probably do cheaper my self.
I went from a 21 P700-4 to a trail. Knowing what I know now, I should have skipped the 700 and went straight to the 1000. The 1000 has less than half the cab noise of the 700, Love turf mode, and the smooth shifting transmission. The trail has a lot of little extras over the base or deluxe. I have no regrets! The only negative is with the full hard doors and hard mid panel, the cab gets warm quick. First mod should be a fan under the seat. I did the Dynamat Extreme and Hood liner which reduced the heat, But I think the fan is a must

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Flipking I am in your same situation and having the same questions. l love our 2020 700-4 but I want something more thrilling. The 700 continues to do everything I ask of it it just does it slowly.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The self-leveling shocks are the stock shocks you also get on the base model. The ride is sub-par.

If I were buying a 22, I'd get a base and add the shocks / lights / accessories that I choose.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'll look them up. I guess mainly my questions now are how far out orders are and what kind of down payment most dealers require. If I'm financing some of it, do they run the financing now or later.

Reactions: Smitty335 and ChadD
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The self-leveling shocks are the stock shocks you also get on the base model. The ride is sub-par.

If I were buying a 22, I'd get a base and add the shocks / lights / accessories that I choose.
The same train of thought I used when choosing between the Deluxe and the SE in 2021. I didn't want Honda deciding what accessories (brands, models, etc.) that I got AND having to pay more than what it would cost me to get exactly what I wanted.

Then again, the SE was far more than the Deluxe in 2021, whereas the Forest and Trail aren't that much more than the Deluxe for 2022. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Trail and Forest only appear to be $2K (base) MSRP more than the Deluxe for 2022.

The Forest gets you the i4WD (which I personally did NOT want), the 4500# Warn winch, the Camo color pattern, an oversized bumper, and a few other odds and ends, while the Trail gets you the Fox QS3 shocks, the same Warn winch, i4WD and some odds and ends, but no Camo color and no oversized bumper.

Is it worth $2K more than the Deluxe? Well, between the Fox shocks and the winch, I'd say yea. But without the shocks, I'd say no.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'll look them up. I guess mainly my questions now are how far out orders are and what kind of down payment most dealers require. If I'm financing some of it, do they run the financing now or later.
There are whole threads on THOSE topics as well. SEARCH is your friend.

Orders are WAY out there, but that's largely because ordering an SXS isn't like ordering a car. You don't put your money down, place an order and then wait for YOUR exact order to arrive. No. At any dealership, any "deposit" you give them simply puts you on a list behind others that are waiting for that same machine. When one arrives - whenever that happens - they offer it to the person at the top of the list. If they don't want it anymore, they go to the next. One dealership might have a list with 2 people waiting for a specific machine, while another dealership might have a list with 20 people on it for that same machine.

Here are but a few of my earlier posts explaining the process:

Many dealerships want a deposit (they want skin in the game), others don't. From my experience, the average is $500. Bottom line, make sure your deposit is FULLY refundable and GET IT IN WRITING. There ARE some dealerships who demand non-refundable deposits. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THOSE DEALERSHIPS.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
I appreciate the advice. I read several threads on time frames, however the time frames were outdated, none of the info provided was more relevant. Just trying to time that if I want a new machine in like January, of when I'd need to order one. I'll probably use my 700 through this hunting season and start cleaning it up, doing a few small repairs to sell.

Reactions: ChadD
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I appreciate the advice. I read several threads on time frames, however the time frames were outdated, none of the info provided was more relevant. Just trying to time that if I want a new machine in like January, of when I'd need to order one. I'll probably use my 700 through this hunting season and start cleaning it up, doing a few small repairs to sell.
Nothing has changed relative to how you "order" an ORV nor how "long' it will take. Because nobody knows. If you think someone is going to be able to tell you, "Order your machine from XYZ dealership on 03 NOV 2022 and it will arrive on 15 JAN 2023", you're going to be disappointed. That's not how it works.

The sooner you get on a dealership's list, the sooner you'll have the CHANCE of having one show up and your name being "next on the list". If you just sit around and post about it on Internet forums, the chances of finding one will be next to nil.

Or just do what some of us have done. Peruse ATV Trader on a daily basis, call dealerships every day, and hope you come across one that just arrived that doesn't have a deposit on it already. It took me few weeks to find mine 1 hour away. Another forum member just found one in California and made the round trip from the SE USA to get it (GA? MS?).

Last edited:
P

pvkj454

Jul 21, 2022
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went from a 2017 700-4 Deluxe to a 2022 1000-5 Base. I was looking for a Trail but could not find one. I am glad that ended up with the base and saved some money. The main thing was power steering which the base 1000 has anyways. I bought from the Bowling Green KY dealer and they only had the one that I bought in stock after financing failed for a previous buyer. They gave me $9200 for the 700 so I traded it in instead of selling. When I went back in 2 weeks to pick up my top and windshield they had just received an identical base model. They had already sold the 700 then. For some reason they are not receiving many of the upgraded models.

Last edited:
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One word of advice, given me by @TexasJackKin, is to shop around, call all the dealers within the radius you'd be willing to drive if they had what you want on the floor. They may not have that, but in my case, I called Reno and they had one scheduled for delivery that wasn't spoken for. They put my name on it and refused to take a deposit . . . it still took a couple of months to get it, but better than waiting a year like some.

FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
We don't have to register them in GA so buying out of state will save me over 1000 in taxes unless I buy private party. I bought my 700 in Chattanooga.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
We don't have to register them in GA so buying out of state will save me over 1000 in taxes unless I buy private party. I bought my 700 in Chattanooga.
Aren't you required to declare any out of state purchases when you file your income taxes each year? These are commonly referred to as "use taxes" (tax imposed on non-exempt items brought into Georgia).

I recall reading a number of stories on here where folks bought out of state, and then the state came after them later for the use tax. I'm pretty sure one was from Georgia buying in TN.

Reactions: FlipKing
FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hmm I'll have to look into that. As of 2.5 years I haven't had any issue. Seems they'd have to prove I bought it new, and that I took it and operated it in GA 🤷. Ga does not allow registration or titling of ATVs anymore so no database showing what's in the state. In a few minutes research I do see where a few people had that issue but many others did not.

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Hmm I'll have to look into that. As of 2.5 years I haven't had any issue. Seems they'd have to prove I bought it new, and that I took it and operated it in GA 🤷. Ga does not allow registration or titling of ATVs anymore so no database showing what's in the state. In a few minutes research I do see where a few people had that issue but many others did not.
NP> I'm not telling you what you should or should not do -- I would just hate to see someone get hit with a tax due notice (including interest and penalty) for something they were not aware of.

Reactions: FlipKing
FlipKing

FlipKing

May 17, 2020
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
NP> I'm not telling you what you should or should not do -- I would just hate to see someone get hit with a tax due notice (including interest and penalty) for something they were not aware of.
Nah, glad you mentioned it so at least I'm aware. If I'm gonna get fined, I'd rather get fined knowing about then surprised because they will fine me either way! Lol

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Nah, glad you mentioned it so at least I'm aware. If I'm gonna get fined, I'd rather get fined knowing about then surprised because they will fine me either way! Lol
The penalties and interest can be brutal.

Last week, I received a notice from the IRS. It turned out to be an error on their part, but the numbers were crazy.

Without going into details. they said I had an additional $100K that I had not claimed as income for 2020. The money was actually moved between 401K accounts.

Long story short, they wanted me to pay the income taxes on it ($26.6K), but also wanted an underpayment penalty of $5,337 and interest in the amount of $1,524! Almost $7,000 in penalty and interest had that been legit. Yikes!

Of course, my accountant is getting things squared away (they had to re-send the same forms to the IRS that they sent with my 2020 return), but I'm telling ya: People who DO really try to skirt the revenuers (state or federal) can find themselves in a whole world of hurt, really quick like!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!