P1000 The Honda buying experience

B

Banner

Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello to everyone on this forum. I look forward to picking everyone’s brain on this site whenever my rig comes in. I haven’t bought a new Honda in decades from the dealer so my question is….Has Honda always been this sketchy with new releases? The lack of communication with the dealer just surprises me with such a big company.
Looking forward to my new P1000 which I put a deposit down on in mid September……whatever that really means. Thanks

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was lucky and found one in stock, 4 hrs away. The salesman and sales manager were very responsive, both phone and email.
It took their service department a few days to unbox and assemble the machine. I was kept up to date on their progress throughout.
All in all it was a good experience.
The salesman told me he got a call 10 minutes after I put a deposit on it from a buyer in PA. That guy put a backup deposit on it in case my deal fell through. I almost feel bad for him. Almost.

M

MikeGW

Sep 11, 2021
CA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m wondering if putting downs deposit mean’s anything. I keep hearing “you’re #1 on the list…a list of pioneers he can’t even order yet.
I doubt it. I’ve paid a $500 deposit and they keep telling me delivery is pushed back a month each time I call. Going on 3 months so far.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Honda is a Japanese corporation. Japan has a culture quite different than ours. I don't think Honda has ever done a lot of communication with their dealer network but this is a unique time for manufacturers.

The worldwide shortage of semi-conductors is the root problem. Apparently semi-conductors are manufactured in China which is a communist dictatorship and essentially an enemy of the free world. Every manufacturer with the exception of toilet paper uses semi-conductors in their products and it seems no one knows when semi-conductors will be fully available again.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Hello to everyone on this forum. I look forward to picking everyone’s brain on this site whenever my rig comes in. I haven’t bought a new Honda in decades from the dealer so my question is….Has Honda always been this sketchy with new releases? The lack of communication with the dealer just surprises me with such a big company.

" The lack of communication with the dealer just surprises me with such a big company".

Honda is the manufacturer. Powersports dealerships are independently owned and operated.

Looking forward to my new P1000 which I put a deposit down on in mid September……whatever that really means. Thanks

When you "order" a piece of powersports equipment like a SXS, you're not having a specific order placed with the manufacturer for a specific unit with your name, VIN, etc. attached to it like when you order a car or truck and then you wait for it to be built and get delivered. You're simply "getting in line" (on a list) at a dealership that has likely already ordered everything they want for the year and are just waiting for units as the are delivered. Your "order" and "deposit" does little more than put you on an internal list @ the dealership for a specific model and trim level. When one arrives, they call the guy @ the top of the list. If he doesn't want it, they move to the next. If someone has a deposit and cancels, they simply remove his name from the list, refund his money and move everybody up on the list. It's a totally different process than ordering a car or truck.

"Sketchy"? I wouldn't call it sketchy. We're in the middle of the global pandemic that has significantly affected supply and demand of just about everything. Manufacturers are having just as hard a time getting components raw materials as we have/are getting just about anything else.

Last edited:
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’m wondering if putting downs deposit mean’s anything. I keep hearing “you’re #1 on the list…a list of pioneers he can’t even order yet.
I am in the same situation as you I think. I put a down payment of $500 with my local dealer back last mid September on a P1000-3 that showed on his computer as being in stage 3 of 3 for being built or nearly built. He said he had no idea when it would show up at the dealership. Haven't heard a word since. I am not in a big rush to get it right now because I have no place to ride it now that it is mid winter. Good luck!

H

HondaTech

Unlike car dealers, we cant just order a unit.
We have to wait until the order period opens and order units and hope they give you what you selected. Our dealer has been continuously denied everything we ordered, even before Covid. Even when we've sold a certain number of units the prior year, they wouldn't give us the same number.

They also have open order periods with units they have in inventory when they have surplus.

We sold more Talons all 3 model years then anyone in the district and still cant get the units we requested. Most of our 2019 sales were left overs we took.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone in the market should understand that there are "Power" dealers and regular dealers. The difference (as I understand it) is that a Power dealer is a Honda shop. A regular dealer is a Honda / Yamaha / Kawasaki / blah blah dealer. That may not be the exact definition (someone else can chime in) but to know that a difference exists is important for a shopper.

The Power dealers are getting machines in to put on the showroom floor while your local second-rate dealer has people on waitlists, and has no idea when he'll be able to fulfill the "orders."

If you're willing to drive a few hundred miles - maybe even a day - find these mega dealers, get on the horn and ask around. You may be headed out to pick up your Pioneer this weekend.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Anyone in the market should understand that there are "Power" dealers and regular dealers. The difference (as I understand it) is that a Power dealer is a Honda shop. A regular dealer is a Honda / Yamaha / Kawasaki / blah blah dealer. That may not be the exact definition (someone else can chime in) but to know that a difference exists and is huge for a shopper.

The Power dealers are getting machines in to put on the showroom floor while your local second-rate dealer has people on waitlists, and has no idea when he'll be able to fulfill the "orders."

If you're willing to drive a few hundred miles - maybe even a day - find these mega dealers, get on the horn and ask around. You may be headed out to pick up your Pioneer this weekend.
Doesn't appear to be working that way anymore. We're a level 4 Powerhouse and sometimes get units after or not at all compared to multi-line dealers.

LIke 250 race bikes, there are multi line dealers with dozens, meanwhile we won't be getting our final 2022 unit until March. 1 of only 3 that we're getting.

Last edited:
B

Banner

Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am in the same situation as you I think. I put a down payment of $500 with my local dealer back last mid September on a P1000-3 that showed on his computer as being in stage 3 of 3 for being built or nearly built. He said he had no idea when it would show up at the dealership. Haven't heard a word since. I am not in a big rush to get it right now because I have no place to ride it now that it is mid winter. Good luck!
Good luck to you also! I won’t be moving snow with it this season so I’m in no rush either. I just noticed my dealer received a 21 P1000-5…..and I asked is Honda just sending you random inventory? He said -
“LOL Yup”.

Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good luck to you also! I won’t be moving snow with it this season so I’m in no rush either. I just noticed my dealer received a 21 P1000-5…..and I asked is Honda just sending you random inventory? He said -
“LOL Yup”.
My dealer has gotten in a couple Talons and a P700 awhile back. The Talons were in-stock for several weeks before they sold. My dealer also carries CanAm and Yamaha and still have a few of them in-stock. Far as I know there have not been any P1000's come in for months.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

There's a yellow one sitting on the floor at C&C Powersports in Brighton. Just saw it a couple days ago.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doesn't appear to be working that way anymore. We're a level 4 Powerhouse and sometimes get units after or not at all compared to multi-line dealers.

LIke 250 race bikes, there are multi line dealers with dozens, meanwhile we won't be getting our final 2022 unit until March. 1 of only 3 that we're getting.
Understood. It's still a good variable to play, calling around to the big dealers. We've seen guys with success here.

Out of curiosity, is a level 4 higher or lower than a level 2, and what's the scale?

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
R

Rickfsb

Jan 16, 2022
Odessa FL
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just got my Honda 700 4 Deluxe a couple weeks ago. I’ve been looking at them for 6 months plus. All the dealers wanted a deposit with no guarantee when they would get one. I opted to just wait and see when the inventory would improve. Me and the wife went to look at calves for the farm and on the way back (2 hour drive) I saw a Honda dealer, I told my wife just for kicks let’s swing in there and see if they had one. To my surprise they had just unloaded one off the truck still wrapped. I told them we would pay cash on the spot and done deal. (Apparently no waiting list) I should have played the lottery on my way home. Love it so far and will be adding upgrades soon.

Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
There's a yellow one sitting on the floor at C&C Powersports in Brighton. Just saw it a couple days ago.
That one is a used 2018 for $21K. Has a plow and winch.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda is a Japanese corporation. Japan has a culture quite different than ours. I don't think Honda has ever done a lot of communication with their dealer network but this is a unique time for manufacturers.
I was a HONDA Dealer or Dealer employee for 20+ years. What we buy here in the USA is mostly controlled by "American Honda Motor Co." (AHM), not the parent "HONDA Motor Company, Ltd." (HMC). Yes, some of that Japanese culture trickles down, but AHM is very much "American" in culture. Communication with the dealers is only as good as the dealers themselves. If the dealer does not push for answers from their DSM (District Sales Manager) or DCSM (District Customer Service Manager), they will not get any information. The HONDA Dealership Communication computer system was very good, when I last used it almost 20 years ago. One thing that most people do not see is the fact that HONDA has morphed from a Motorcycle Company to a Car Company that just happens to have a Powersports Division. HONDA's Main focus is no longer on that Division. The BIG $$$ are in the Automobile Industry.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
FJB and FCCP. That place is to be avoided at all costs. Haven't dealt with them in the last 4-5 years, but I can tell you this much: Based on past experiences, I'll never set foot in that shathole again.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
FJB and FCCP. That place is to be avoided at all costs. Haven't dealt with them in the last 4-5 years, but I can tell you this much: Based on past experiences, I'll never set foot in that shathole again.
ROFL! Why don't you tell us how you really feel? This has been my experience in many dealerships. Never been to this one, but I can feel your pain.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!