Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Anyone in the market should understand that there are "Power" dealers and regular dealers. The difference (as I understand it) is that a Power dealer is a Honda shop. A regular dealer is a Honda / Yamaha / Kawasaki / blah blah dealer. That may not be the exact definition (someone else can chime in) but to know that a difference exists is important for a shopper.
Powerhouse dealers only sell/service Honda products (at least from that specific location).
The Power dealers are getting machines in to put on the showroom floor while your local second-rate dealer has people on waitlists, and has no idea when he'll be able to fulfill the "orders."
Perhaps it was just luck of the draw and all the COVID/supply chain issues, but every one of the 6 or 7 I was able to locate in stock/just arrived last fall were NOT at Powerhouse dealers. Perhaps the Powerhouse dealers had waiting lists for the P1K longer than the non-Powerhouse dealers, hard to say.

If you're willing to drive a few hundred miles - maybe even a day - find these mega dealers, get on the horn and ask around. You may be headed out to pick up your Pioneer this weekend.
When I was looking for a P1K-5 last fall:

During the week, I got to work around 7:30AM. I would open up ATVTRADER.COM, perform a search for the Pioneer 1000-5, then sort the results from "newest listing to oldest listing".

Then I started calling dealerships, top down, asking if the newly listed machine was already spoken for. Most said yes. But surprisingly, I was able to locate 6 or 7 within a month's time, eventually purchasing a Deluxe Camo from a non-Powerhouse dealer only an hour away from my house.

I almost made the round-trip between MI and VT, but changed my mind at the last minute (I refused to pay the extra ~$1,600 for delivery/transportation, dealer prep/assembly, documentation fees, etc.).

At least half of the bikes I found had literally just arrived that day or a day or two before. The salespersons were like "How the heck did you know we have this? We just unloaded it off the truck 5 hours ago?" LOL.

It pays to be persistent.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
ROFL! Why don't you tell us how you really feel? This has been my experience in many dealerships. Never been to this one, but I can feel your pain.
If I only base it on powersports dealerships that I have personally dealt with, I can only agree.

Michigan powersports dealers are notorious for squeezing every single nickel out of every single sale. They don't want to build a relationship where you come back again and again ... they want to maximize today's profit at the sake of future profits. That's not good for them, especially with guys like me. Ask my salesman @ the local Ford dealership. Since 2006, I've purchased or leased 13 new Ford and Lincoln vehicles, from Focuses to Powerstroke F350 Super Dutys.

For years, I bought powersports from Honda East Toledo (Ohio). No delivery fee, no prep fee and only $95 doc fee. Never an issue, but a bit of a drive. I bought here because I couldn't find a single dealer in Michigan who didn't want to bone you.

When I finally found my SXS this past fall, the passing at those other machines across the country paid off handsomely. I found the ONLY dealership in Michigan that charges absolutely ZERO for transportation, dealer prep/assembly, documentation, etc. MSRP plus state sales tax plus $11 for title. That's it.

Oh, and my buddy was interested in buying a P1K5 as well. So I called up that dealership about ~3 weeks ago and my salesman said he had a red one coming in that was due in mid-February. They just got the call today - it's in.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I was a HONDA Dealer or Dealer employee for 20+ years. What we buy here in the USA is mostly controlled by "American Honda Motor Co." (AHM), not the parent "HONDA Motor Company, Ltd." (HMC). Yes, some of that Japanese culture trickles down, but AHM is very much "American" in culture. Communication with the dealers is only as good as the dealers themselves. If the dealer does not push for answers from their DSM (District Sales Manager) or DCSM (District Customer Service Manager), they will not get any information. The HONDA Dealership Communication computer system was very good, when I last used it almost 20 years ago. One thing that most people do not see is the fact that HONDA has morphed from a Motorcycle Company to a Car Company that just happens to have a Powersports Division. HONDA's Main focus is no longer on that Division. The BIG $$$ are in the Automobile Industry.
I can easily believe that, as you stated, owners/dealer principals do a poor job of asking Honda the right questions and sharing the answers with sales managers and sales staff but that doesn't explain why Honda releases next to nothing in in advertising and sales literature.

Reactions: Lady01 and Farmer
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I sometimes wonder what could have happened if Toyota had entered the power sports arena? Whatever they build or have built in the automotive line seems to last forever. I am now driving a 2002 Toyota van with 273,000 miles thats shows no signs of failure.

M

Apr 18, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hello to everyone on this forum. I look forward to picking everyone’s brain on this site whenever my rig comes in. I haven’t bought a new Honda in decades from the dealer so my question is….Has Honda always been this sketchy with new releases? The lack of communication with the dealer just surprises me with such a big company.
Looking forward to my new P1000 which I put a deposit down on in mid September……whatever that really means. Thanks
My big issue with dealers is that somehow they feel they need to be in the title and registration filing business with the state. In my case it took Nash powersports in phoenix over a week to deliver my registration info making my 1000x useless for that week. This is something I could have done online in minutes if they didn't have it locked up. This is something you may want to look into in advance.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Honda is no slouch in building products that can endure extremely high miles.

I personally put 93,000 miles on a 2010 Goldwing. I sold it because I wanted a new one.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I read an article from a few years ago..... Honda had gotten distracted with creating a whole bunch of different car models and really let powersports take a back seat aka act 1..... They admit that the result was not only a lack of car quality, everything else got weaker. They claimed then that they were working to reduce the amount of car models to focus on quality again. That would be tough for any company to do and then, enter covid, aka act 2....... Now, add to all of that, rumor has it motorsports is not only short on materials, there was this political thing that allowed good employees to make the same money by staying home on unemployment. Act 3...... temp workers. If you can't find one yourself then yeah, you'll be waiting. Just life these days.

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I read an article from a few years ago..... Honda had gotten distracted with creating a whole bunch of different car models and really let powersports take a back seat aka act 1..... They admit that the result was not only a lack of car quality, everything else got weaker. They claimed then that they were working to reduce the amount of car models to focus on quality again. That would be tough for any company to do and then, enter covid, aka act 2....... Now, add to all of that, rumor has it motorsports is not only short on materials, there was this political thing that allowed good employees to make the same money by staying home on unemployment. Act 3...... temp workers. If you can't find one yourself then yeah, you'll be waiting. Just life these days.
Honda is one of those companies that have become a huge bureaucracy. Every American Honda employee (Hondroid as I call them) is more concerned with CYA (cover your ass) than telling it like it is and doing the right thing. Dare I say that they have become Americanized?

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I was on the waiting list for 5 months. I finally found a guy selling one local. I picked it up. Honda said they are so back logged they couldn't promise me even a month I would get one.
Good call, not much has changed in the last year or two.

Reactions: Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
2002 Toyota van with 273,000 miles thats shows no signs of failure.
I was on the waiting list for 5 months. I finally found a guy selling one local. I picked it up. Honda said they are so back logged they couldn't promise me even a month I would get one.
You have to put some sweat equity into it. Found one for my buddy ... he had to wait a grueling 19 days between deposit and arrival of bike @ dealership. Going to pick it up on SAT.

woodgrinder

woodgrinder

Jul 31, 2021
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are 2 700s in stock, (per their website), at R&D Honda in Raton. They are great people to deal with.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
FJB and FCCP. That place is to be avoided at all costs. Haven't dealt with them in the last 4-5 years, but I can tell you this much: Based on past experiences, I'll never set foot in that shathole again.
Yup! Cant agree more! Deleted member PH’s brother runs it!
thats a fact

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I keep hearing “you’re #1 on the list
I just noticed my dealer received a 21 P1000-5
Well…..did you go in there and hold there feet to the fire from them telling you that? so that one on the floor is now yours? or did u let them blow smoke up your ass?

Reactions: Farmer and Jerryg
Bombardier Convert

Bombardier Convert

Oct 3, 2021
Minnesota USA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My dealer is now blinging my new ride up with a few accessories. They now have a 700 and another 1000-3 Deluxe in-stock also. A couple 2022 Can Ams are showing as in-stock on their website too. I have nothing but good things to say about my local dealer.. Ray's in Grand Rapids MiN.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
R

RodRocket

Well, I ordered my P1000-5 last June 2021. I was advised then that delivery would be about September, maybe October. Then in November, yes, it should be here in January. In late January, they said Honda advised them - before the end of February. One week ago, sorry you will not see it before June 2022, maybe.
So I said, I'm sorry too, and I cancelled my order.
Who is to blame for the unreliable communication?
I wish there was a transparent system of order logging, allocation, distribution, and above all, reliable communication throughout at all levels.
Is it the squeaky axle that get the oil? Is it just a lottery, chance, luck? Is it based on the buying power and business size of the dealer? Is it the lack of containers and transportation delays? Is it the big global shortage of computer chips? Or is it just the unorganised releases and ad hoc distribution from the factories?
So I miss out on my Honda SxS. C'est la vie!!

• Sad
Reactions: Jerryg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!