P1000 The Honda buying experience

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well, I ordered my P1000-5 last June 2021. I was advised then that delivery would be about September, maybe October. Then in November, yes, it should be here in January. In late January, they said Honda advised them - before the end of February. One week ago, sorry you will not see it before June 2022, maybe.
So I said, I'm sorry too, and I cancelled my order.
Who is to blame for the unreliable communication?
I wish there was a transparent system of order logging, allocation, distribution, and above all, reliable communication throughout at all levels.
Is it the squeaky axle that get the oil? Is it just a lottery, chance, luck? Is it based on the buying power and business size of the dealer? Is it the lack of containers and transportation delays? Is it the big global shortage of computer chips? Or is it just the unorganised releases and ad hoc distribution from the factories?
So I miss out on my Honda SxS. C'est la vie!!
You can never tell if it is the dealer screwing you or Honda screwing the dealer.

Either way, there are other brands making a better SXS anyway.

B

Banner

Sep 21, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can never tell if it is the dealer screwing you or Honda screwing the dealer.

Either way, there are other brands making a better SXS anyway.
I hear you. Trying to find a Defender to get some seat time in just to see if the foot room is better.

Reactions: Lady01 and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I hear you. Trying to find a Defender to get some seat time in just to see if the foot room is better.
See if you can check out the Yamaha Viking too.

Reactions: Lady01
R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear of your extended delay. Mine was ordered in May, 2021, I put down a deposit in early August, and was told it would be delivered in October. after delays, I finally picked it up in late December. I know, its frustrating.

Reactions: Lady01
R

RodRocket

Maybe is was fate that made me decide to cancel my order for a P1000-5.
Looking back, it was the no-belt transmission that lead me to a Honda SxS in the first instance. Having a SxS with a CVT is a real pain in the a** when starting on a steep slope - revving like billyo just to get going. Maybe other later models are a lot better now, like some with a 10 year belt warranty!
However, I was also looking at ways to limit the max. speed, due to the risks associated with over-speeding on our rough, winding and steep country. Some Hondasas members asked why limit the speed - as most people want to increase the max. speed!
Lo and behold! I came across another SxS that really ticked all boxes for me. More of a workhorse than a racy off-road buggy. Has a variable hydrostatic transmission-no belt drive, a diesel engine, a max. speed 25mph, a real hand brake, and a 2 or 4 seater converter. Sure, not a lot of horses, but good low-down torque and steady hill-climbing ability is what I need.
I know with all hydrostatic transmissions, as used on most modern HD work vehicles, ultra-clean transmission oil is number one to a long and reliable working life.
So how does this type of transmission compare with Honda's DCT and CVT's on other SxS, in performance, reliability, cost of maintenance, whole-of-life costs, cost of repairs or maybe replacement, etc, is the very big question.
No doubt with lots of answers - facts, educated opinions, or just gut feelings.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe is was fate that made me decide to cancel my order for a P1000-5.
Looking back, it was the no-belt transmission that lead me to a Honda SxS in the first instance. Having a SxS with a CVT is a real pain in the a** when starting on a steep slope - revving like billyo just to get going. Maybe other later models are a lot better now, like some with a 10 year belt warranty!
However, I was also looking at ways to limit the max. speed, due to the risks associated with over-speeding on our rough, winding and steep country. Some Hondasas members asked why limit the speed - as most people want to increase the max. speed!
Lo and behold! I came across another SxS that really ticked all boxes for me. More of a workhorse than a racy off-road buggy. Has a variable hydrostatic transmission-no belt drive, a diesel engine, a max. speed 25mph, a real hand brake, and a 2 or 4 seater converter. Sure, not a lot of horses, but good low-down torque and steady hill-climbing ability is what I need.
I know with all hydrostatic transmissions, as used on most modern HD work vehicles, ultra-clean transmission oil is number one to a long and reliable working life.
So how does this type of transmission compare with Honda's DCT and CVT's on other SxS, in performance, reliability, cost of maintenance, whole-of-life costs, cost of repairs or maybe replacement, etc, is the very big question.
No doubt with lots of answers - facts, educated opinions, or just gut feelings.

Got a Kubota huh?

R

Red21

Aug 9, 2021
sioux falls, sd
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you don't go off-road with friends. They will be constantly leaving you behind if you can only top out at 25 mph. And make sure you have a winch, because they won't be anywhere around if you need help.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda is a Japanese corporation. Japan has a culture quite different than ours. I don't think Honda has ever done a lot of communication with their dealer network but this is a unique time for manufacturers.

The worldwide shortage of semi-conductors is the root problem. Apparently semi-conductors are manufactured in China which is a communist dictatorship and essentially an enemy of the free world. Every manufacturer with the exception of toilet paper uses semi-conductors in their products and it seems no one knows when semi-conductors will be fully available again.
Thats Exactly why I boycott china every chance i get. The free world countries need to do the same, soon, Or its game over for our economy.

Reactions: toddvdh
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thats Exactly why I boycott china every chance i get. The free world countries need to do the same, soon, Or its game over for our economy.
That sounds good but the reality is Americans can no longer afford to buy American-made goods. Our quality of life is improved by buying products manufactured where labor is cheap.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That sounds good but the reality is Americans can no longer afford to buy American-made goods. Our quality of life is improved by buying products manufactured where labor is cheap.
True, but another reality is they make Alot of junk that is headed for the landfill.
It's truly heartbreaking to see people on the road with shiny new jeeps and pickups bought with hard earned money with a poorly made chinese accessory also bought with hard earned money that is rusting within months of purchase. Sorry for the rant, Just an old American sick of constantly repairing chinese junk.

Reactions: toddvdh and Jerryg
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If you're old as you said, both of us have been very fortunate to have lived through the best times of American history. We've passed our prime now. Millennials and GenX members believe they're entitled to a good life without working.

I'm afraid it's going to be decline now.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
LoL. I hear ya. I had the opportunity to "learn" from a few millenials before I retired, some of it hilarious, some of it sad as hell just thinking that they are the future.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Taken to the extreme . . . and that looks to be exactly where we're taking it, as more and more stuff is imported, more and more jobs vanish here, and more people sit home on welfare or in a homeless camp. Those few who are productive, get hammered with more taxes to support those who don't particularly care to work (or can't).

We've gotten so addicted to inexpensive goods from China, we can't quit cold turkey without incredible turmoil. For much of the stuff, there are no factories or workers to produce it here. Yet to survive long term as a country, we need to somehow turn this around.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Taken to the extreme . . . and that looks to be exactly where we're taking it, as more and more stuff is imported, more and more jobs vanish here, and more people sit home on welfare or in a homeless camp. Those few who are productive, get hammered with more taxes to support those who don't particularly care to work (or can't).

We've gotten so addicted to inexpensive goods from China, we can't quit cold turkey without incredible turmoil. For much of the stuff, there are no factories or workers to produce it here. Yet to survive long term as a country, we need to somehow turn this around.
I was at a big box lumberyard the other day and they had isles of "PATRIOTIC" and USA themed products, All made in china. WTF is wrong with us?
Shame on the sellers, AND Shame on the buyers.
I told the people i saw looking thru the garbage that they won't feel very PATRIOTIC wearing made in china Americana. A few walked, but not all.. I don't think people even look to see where stuff is made.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Shame on the buyers.
In many cases, you have no choice. Tell me where to purchase a US made television? Need a new mobile phone? Want some new Christmas lights for the tree? How about a nice dress shirt? Wife wants a new set of forks & spoons?

Unless and until we start producing products here -- and people who demand higher wages are willing to pay more for the products being produced -- you can't buy ANY of those (and countless other things) that were 'Made in America'.

Reactions: toddvdh and bumperm
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In many cases, you have no choice. Tell me where to purchase a US made television? Need a new mobile phone? Want some new Christmas lights for the tree? How about a nice dress shirt? Wife wants a new set of forks & spoons?

Unless and until we start producing products here -- and people who demand higher wages are willing to pay more for the products being produced -- you can't buy ANY of those (and countless other things) that were 'Made in America'.
Oneida was made in Buffalo. They may still be.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!