SiriusXM - coverage via satellite in remote no cell/internet areas that you’re riding in?

GregOverstreet

GregOverstreet

Dec 6, 2020
Sequim, Washington
Ownership

1. 500
I’ll be in remote areas with my P520 where there’s no cell or internet. Music streaming via cell or internet (like Spotify) won’t work. I had SiriusXM in my car about 15 years ago and remember I could get a satellite signal even in the middle of mountain passes.

Anyone using SiriusXM now in remote areas and if so are there any gaps in coverage?

If you can report that it works or doesn’t in remote areas, please let us know where it worked or didn’t so we can see if that’s more or less remote than where we will be in.

BTW if SiriusXM works in remote areas I’d get it on the phone app and then Bluetooth the signal from the phone app to some speakers in my rig.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I don't have any sound system in my Talon, but I do have satellite radio in my Jeep Wrangler, as well as other vehicles. I admit that I enjoy tooling around in the desert or the mountains, listening to my favorite classic rock channels. :) I don't believe you will find any coverage gaps in the lower 48 states. I am sure that SiriusXM will have a coverage map on their web site. Tree cover or mountains may cause signal loss. That is with an actual satellite radio and antenna. I don't use the app, but I am pretty sure the app gets its signal over the internet. So, no cell signal, no SiriusXM.

Reactions: ChadD
WTXoffroader

WTXoffroader

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2019
Kermit, TX
Ownership

1. Talon R

2. Talon X4
As long as you have a clear view of the sky it will work. You have to have a satellite receiver though.

The app and online only work with internet.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’ll be in remote areas with my P520 where there’s no cell or internet. Music streaming via cell or internet (like Spotify) won’t work. I had SiriusXM in my car about 15 years ago and remember I could get a satellite signal even in the middle of mountain passes.

Anyone using SiriusXM now in remote areas and if so are there any gaps in coverage?

If you can report that it works or doesn’t in remote areas, please let us know where it worked or didn’t so we can see if that’s more or less remote than where we will be in.

BTW if SiriusXM works in remote areas I’d get it on the phone app and then Bluetooth the signal from the phone app to some speakers in my rig.
I’ve got SiriusXM in my 7hundo. I installed an antenna and hardwired a dock for the onyx receiver. It works but sometimes I lose signal. My antenna is under the roof so it doesn’t get snagged. I have an six port so if my signal is shot I can use iPod or something. 😎

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I have Sirius on my Mule. It works great unless you get under a bunch of trees.

Reactions: ChadD and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!