P1000 Skid plate research questions

K

Kelldog

Dec 2, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did some research on skid plates here. What is the logic in some people wanting to remove the skid plate for oil changes? No access to the drain or concerned about oil leaking on top of the plate and on the ground? Or what?
Stay away from self tapping screws and superATV skid plate seems to generate alot of common belief.
Is there any concern with lifting the machine front end verticle to install the skid plate as opposed to oil or gas over flow and causing problems?
who is the crowd favorite skid plate manuf.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Don't shy away from a particular skid plate set because of the self-tappers. Just use rivet nuts in place of them (easy on/off).

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the tusk 3/8 UHMD. I like it I for my moderate use. I don’t drop it to change fluids. I go through a few old rags doing it but it’s not running out the sides or back of the skid. I just used 4 ramps to install. If your planning on serious rock crawling I’d go 1/2”. You want full coverage

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I haul one end of my -5 into the air for access, I would try draining fluids that way, as the drain holes are designed to work properly with the machine level. I remove the factory aluminum skid plate. Aluminum is better than nothing . . . but "just". UHMW-PE is the preferred material for slickness and impact strength.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am happy w my 1/2" factory utv skid. been great so far. i did widen the holes a little bit for easier fluid changes, easy to do w a jigsaw and dremel.

i abuse it regularly on rocks and havent had any issues. UHMW is way better than aluminum in my opinion.

i would not worry about the self tappers. mine have held fine since 2020. I will probably change them out to rivet nuts when i take it off, but i havent done that yet.

lifted the front end of mine up with the winch to install. not vertical, maybe on a 45 deg angle. no problems.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
UHMW is the way to go and the thicker the better. I don't remove the skid or lift mine to change the oil, it doesn't need to be an all day event. Slide underneath and remove the bolt through the hole. Most of it drains through the hole but you'll get some on top of the skid. Have a few rags handy for clean up and you're good to go. 👍

H

HondaTech

I cant remember which brand, but one of them has terrible acces to the oil pan drain.

They make a damm mess. even with stock one. Removing the stock one is easy. take every bolt/washer out except the one in the slotted hole. Loosen it and slide the skid plate off the washer. Just slid it back on the washer when installing and it'll hold itself up to get the rest of the bolts started.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!