SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have to replace my center driveshaft U-Joints and a LF axle seal before the next race. I think I'm going to order an @RB3offroad /J-Sport SxS billet rack this week to replace the stock unit while I'm in there. It looks like a really nice unit and sounds like it will be a bullet proof upgrade for my car.

2021 jsportsxs rb3 talon rack web 14 min min

H

HondaTech

A steering rack would be consideredy first major upgrade if I had a Talon. The stock unit has proven to be sloppy under heavy use. We went RaceCo but that was the only option at the time.

We're still hoping to have our upgrades done before the next race, but it isn't looking hopeful atm.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Ordered the @RB3offroad rack this morning from J-Sport. I should have the seals, joints and rack by the end of the week so I can get the car back in shape for the next race April 17th. I also ordered a new Honda Racing OEM aluminum front bumper. It got torn up pretty good the first race of the season, but I can't bring myself to replace it with anything heavier, so OEM aluminum it is. Hopefully I don't have to buy one of these every couple races. 🤣

Pulled the headlights and buckets last night in an attempt to make the car even lighter. I'm running out of things to cut off or replace with lighter stuff. Going to need to do motor mods sooner than later.

20210314 192511

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ordered the @RB3offroad rack this morning from J-Sport. I should have the seals, joints and rack by the end of the week so I can get the car back in shape for the next race April 17th. I also ordered a new Honda Racing OEM aluminum front bumper. It got torn up pretty good the first race of the season, but I can't bring myself to replace it with anything heavier, so OEM aluminum it is. Hopefully I don't have to buy one of these every couple races.

Pulled the headlights and buckets last night in an attempt to make the car even lighter. I'm running out of things to cut off or replace with lighter stuff. Going to need to do motor mods sooner than later.

View attachment 261910

I have some buddies that race, and they all have a saying of ounces make pounds and pounds makes seconds

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Cool deal slowpoke! I’ll be following you! I already hear from family memebers what the PPEI guys do, which is usually breaking the can-ams! They are transitioning to talons!

I saw the PPEI N/A Talon at the track. Badass car! I really want to talk to Kory about tuning my car. You got any hookups over there? :cool: 😁

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Kory is a pretty nice guy. I haven't talked to him in years but watched him grow up. He played guitar with me at church when he was younger. He is my wife's cousin. If you call PPEI just tell them you would like Kory to tune your talon and if needed tell Kory Brian Young refered you to him. The guy is unbelievably sharp on tuning anything!!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Stripped it down this weekend, gave it a really good bath and got it ready for the next round of mods/maintenance before the next race.
20210321 192830
20210321 192813

There are a couple of people I'd like to thank for making this UTV racing thing happen for me........

*My wife! She saw the look I got when I went to the first 2020 race at Texplex as a spectator with a brand new Talon R sitting in the garage and told me to go for it.....All in. Now when she complains about the money I'm spending I say to her "still going for it, not all in yet". 🤣🤣

*10-80 Dirt Sports @highpocket74 made me a custom low delete shifter plate for the car. Works flawless and looks killer. His shifter plates are the real deal and every Talon owner should have one. Thanks bud! :cool:

*@Hondasxs for hooking me up with a custom I4wd delete wiring harness for the car. Not having the computer do the thinking for me when I'm racing definitely gives me an advantage on track. :cool:

*Jamie @RaceCoUSA for helping me out with replacement parts after I bent up the LR suspension in a mishap at the first race. :cool:

*American Star Mfg for hooking me up with a complete spare set of their braided brake lines after I damaged one last week. The American Star Mfg LF line took a hard hit at the caliper that would have killed a factory rubber line and ended my race and day. The ASM braided steel line took a lickin' and kept on ticking helping me finish the race. :cool:

20210313 172535

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have some buddies that race, and they all have a saying of ounces make pounds and pounds makes seconds
When I was building the car I literally weighed every stock part, heat shield, nut, bolt ect that I took off the car and made sure I replaced it with lighter stuff or just left it off all together. There isn't a single extra bracket, tab nut or bolt left on the car that isn't necessary for it to move and stop. Wheels are 18.5lbs each, tires were 24lbs each before I grooved the s*** out of them. Aluminum doors (both) and roof weigh the same as one factory Honda Racing aluminum door.

I grew up around circle track racing and spent 1/2 my life working at my uncles chassis shop helping him build race cars that won races and championships all over New England. Weight and rotating mass reduction were a big part of this build and why I think this car goes so good for having a mostly stock motor.

The car with no body on it.....

20200909 211414 resized
20200909 211354 resized

It's a lot lighter than you think it is. 😁

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another person I have to thank profusely is George White of Double E Racing. This man is a freakin wizard of epic proportions when it comes to tuning SxS shocks. He took my stock shocks and made them amazing. They are 1000X better than I could have even imagined and are definitely one of the key parts that helps me run up front. They also switched to racing Honda Talons this year so they know these cars well. :cool:
20210227 154628

20210227 151522

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Thanks for the recognition Slowpoke. Hope the shifter plate gets you out of any sticky situation quickly!

You are so lucky to have that kind of wife. I love mine to death but she is NOT supportive of anyone racing in my family. I'd like to run the local GNCC woods racing but even that's out. My father-in-law at 71 years old would be a great racer!! My younger daughter would be awesome at racing. She can drive!! One day I'm going out west to run some kind of desert race!!

You have an amazing background with car fabrication. I'd love to know stuff like that. As of now I can draw what I'm thinking then send it to someone with experience to fab! I'm pretty good with duct tape and foam board too!!!

As a country kid growing up with a gazillion Lego parts at my disposal I designed a LOT of things that weren't included with the package instructions. That plus liking to draw led me into drafting. My day job is 90% unchallenging, regurgitated refinery problem solving... nothing new here. My first ever design attempt was the set of plastic a-arm guards currently on the front of my talon. That was the only spark I needed to get the creative flow started. So far I have enjoyed designing talon accessories. My immediate goals are to get caught up on Autodesk Fusion 360 for cad/cam design, purchase a CNC plasma table and purchase a TIG welder to build my own designs in house. My dad is an awesome welder. If I get him a nice setup he won't mind welding what I cut out with the plasma. I have so many ideas to try but waiting on the fab shop is killing me!!

After all the fab equipment I want a 3D scanner to scan machines, bring into cad and get the designs made on a virtual machine. We do this at work in refineries and it's a huge decrease in field time while capturing EVERYTHING in an area.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the recognition Slowpoke. Hope the shifter plate gets you out of any sticky situation quickly!

You are so lucky to have that kind of wife. I love mine to death but she is NOT supportive of anyone racing in my family. I'd like to run the local GNCC woods racing but even that's out. My father-in-law at 71 years old would be a great racer!! My younger daughter would be awesome at racing. She can drive!! One day I'm going out west to run some kind of desert race!!

You have an amazing background with car fabrication. I'd love to know stuff like that. As of now I can draw what I'm thinking then send it to someone with experience to fab! I'm pretty good with duct tape and foam board too!!!

As a country kid growing up with a gazillion Lego parts at my disposal I designed a LOT of things that weren't included with the package instructions. That plus liking to draw led me into drafting. My day job is 90% unchallenging, regurgitated refinery problem solving... nothing new here. My first ever design attempt was the set of plastic a-arm guards currently on the front of my talon. That was the only spark I needed to get the creative flow started. So far I have enjoyed designing talon accessories. My immediate goals are to get caught up on Autodesk Fusion 360 for cad/cam design, purchase a CNC plasma table and purchase a TIG welder to build my own designs in house. My dad is an awesome welder. If I get him a nice setup he won't mind welding what I cut out with the plasma. I have so many ideas to try but waiting on the fab shop is killing me!!

After all the fab equipment I want a 3D scanner to scan machines, bring into cad and get the designs made on a virtual machine. We do this at work in refineries and it's a huge decrease in field time while capturing EVERYTHING in an area.
I LOVED Fusion 360 (and I HATE computers, go figure). I visited a Bonneville Salt Flats motorcycle racer and he showed it to me. I went home, downloaded it and drew these rocker covers for our dual sport bikes. Sadly I don't have enough use for it to pay their fee and the trial software expired. It came along too late in my life to follow up on. :confused: That I could draw something like this up, send the file to a manufacturer and have parts sent back to me is fookin' amazing.

SLOWPOKE, I'll delete this if you want.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!