BOX1

P1000 Snatch Block and Front Bumper

H

Hachez

Aug 17, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was just wondering on how tough is the OEM bumper if pulling on it using a snatch block?

Ultimately I want to know if I put a snatch block on a tree and tie my winch back to the OEM bumper will it bend? I do not want to buy another bumper to replace the OEM.

Thanks

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I assume you mean OEM (stock) and not a brand I'm unfamiliar with in EOM. I'd add a couple recovery points with some extra material on the backside. There's not really a good place to winch from on the bumper stock; it will bend. This is what I did and I've winched off them 2-3 times now with no issue and no sign of wear or deformation. There's a 1/8" square steel plate behind the bumper that they are bolted through. Other members have welded recovery points in as well. The key is to beef it up on the backside.

4NDSm9CwbZDsq2VO chdewDS2mL1G plR7vkjUjk 3Nh3XVL4pA 0lpAlXiLTuwYsTW51W LjCnV1NuP 8w1250 h937 no

H

Hachez

Aug 17, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I assume you mean OEM (stock) and not a brand I'm unfamiliar with in EOM. I'd add a couple recovery points with some extra material on the backside. There's not really a good place to winch from on the bumper stock; it will bend. This is what I did and I've winched off them 2-3 times now with no issue and no sign of wear or deformation. There's a 1/8" square steel plate behind the bumper that they are bolted through. Other members have welded recovery points in as well. The key is to beef it up on the backside.

View attachment 156566

Where did you get the anchor points from?

You think it will bend if I pull from the center of the bumper?

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I assume you mean OEM (stock) and not a brand I'm unfamiliar with in EOM. I'd add a couple recovery points with some extra material on the backside. Other members have welded recovery points in as well. The key is to beef it up on the backside.

View attachment 156566

Just what I did, I added some stock to the front as well as the back.

Bumper

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I agree with Adam. The front bump isn’t really designed to be pulled on. In an emergency you could pull on the center bar a bit but it can bend.
I also made recovery points. Mine I cut holes in the face and used a longer piece of stock through and welded to the back bumper mount and the face. Had some big pressure on that. Really need to reinforce the backside if bolting to the face, as large an area as possible.
A2735557 D745 48ED BDA8 A033A09C5B34

Reactions: TripleB
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Where did you get the anchor points from?

You think it will bend if I pull from the center of the bumper?
Depends on how much of a bind you are in. Pulling just the weight of the machine up a hill, it would probably be okay but I still wouldn't do it. If you're stuck and in a real bind it will bend for sure, that tubing is paper thin. I got the brackets from Home Depot and the grade 8 carriage bolts/hardware from Tractor Supply. I had a 2-3' 1/8' steel flat bar left over from something else that I used on the backside. The load rating on the rings is 5k and the brackets are 10k, so if it's really stuck it'll just break the rings off before anything else I imagine.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep an eye on the 4 top bolts that hold the bumper in place. They are pretty soft and I know one member broke is off which made it very hard to remove the bumper to replace them. Heck mine was actually missing a bolt from the factory. Like @Adam490 said alot of guys are adding the front d rings but they are backing them up with a plate.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where did you get this hook? I like the idea of not adding anything to the front bumper.

I didn't like welding on the bumper either, eventhough that's my thing..so i went with 2 Curt hooks from Amazon. Like 9 bucks each. I also replaced all 4 bolts with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut.
You gotta drill a half inch hole each side through the hook hole into the bumper, but no big deal. Back them up with a flat washer and or lock washer and the hooks are solid.
The OEM and second bolts need to be 2.25 inches in length. Grade 5 or better galvanized.
2- M10 x 1.25 thread x 2.25"- 60 mm
2 - 1/2" bolts x 2.25"

Jim

Last edited:
H

Hachez

Aug 17, 2019
Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't like welding on the bumper either, eventhough that's my thing..so i went with 2 Reese hooks from Amazon. Like 9 bucks each. I also replaced all 4 bolts with a grade 8 bolt and lock nut.
You gotta drill a half inch hole each side through the hook hole into the bumper, but no big deal. Back them up with a flat washer and or lock washer and the hooks are solid.
The OEM and second bolts need to be 2.25 inches in length. Grade 5 or better galvanized.
2- M10 x 1.25 thread x 2.25"- 60 mm
2 - 1/2" bolts x 2.25"

Jim

Could you tell me what size is your tow hook? I am trying to find the same one. Or if you want you can give me the link to amazon.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!