Talon Snorkel and Vent lines

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
I recommend checking your airbox drain everytime you wash or ride your machine.. I pressure wash the SYA riser and then pull the plug on the bottom to make sure no water is in the lower airbox. Its big enough that I don't think I'll ever get spray into the carbs unless its under water and sucks it in.

Reactions: IDIOT
IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I recommend checking your airbox drain everytime you wash or ride your machine.. I pressure wash the SYA riser and then pull the plug on the bottom to make sure no water is in the lower airbox. Its big enough that I don't think I'll ever get spray into the carbs unless its under water and sucks it in.
Great idea, I usually place a plastic bag over the filter and secure it with a zip tie before i wash the machine, but I still pull both plugs and check for water just in case.

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
A lot of water has to get in the box before you will see any come out of the drain,

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
A lot of water has to get in the box before you will see any come out of the drain,

Not really.. I pulled my filter and washed out the bottom part with spray nine and water let it run out and there wasn't any water staying in the bottom of the filter bowl it all ran out.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
what is the brand & part number for the air filter you used to replace the warrior riser? Did they offer an outware for it?

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
And how noisy is it with the factory silencer removed?

That is why I left my silencer intack. Don't want a bunch of noise right behind passengers head. I used Honda Bobs method using the Kawasaki tube. Have a RZR that makes a bunch of intake noise without the intake noise it would be much quieter than the Talon. I am going to buy a Talon intake and put it on my RZR, they are less than $30.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Huck has a rear window and he just finished doing this snorkel. Here is a picture of the Harbor Freight Push Pin Pliers.

IMG 2099

IDIOT

IDIOT

Nov 30, 2018
Kingman, Az.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
That is why I left my silencer intack. Don't want a bunch of noise right behind passengers head. I used Honda Bobs method using the Kawasaki tube. Have a RZR that makes a bunch of intake noise without the intake noise it would be much quieter than the Talon. I am going to buy a Talon intake and put it on my RZR, they are less than $30.
It is not noisy at all!!!

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine is no noisier then it was with the factory air tubes..

H

HondaTalonX

Aug 5, 2019
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
Hi All,

Here's a great DIY project. I wanted a pre-filter on my intake (might upgrade to a particle separator at a later date) because I've ruined 2 air filters in less than 800 miles. I found my air filter was also getting wet with the stock intake setup, creating a nice mud caked mess of a filter. I haven't found a snorkel kit yet that suited my needs, so I used some idea's I saw here on Hondasxs and came up with this project.

Total cost: <$40 and a few hours of time

Materials:
2.5" Thinwall PVC (Also known as SDR 26 and was $1.99 ft)
Spectre Air Filter (any Auto Parts store $30)

Tools:
Drill
3" Hole Saw
Heat Gun
Tape

The challenge was finding the correct PVC for the job, as your standard Schedule 40 will restrict airflow too much. 2 1/2" SDR 26 PVC is the same O.D. and I.D. as the stock pipe, so if you get your bends right, you won't restrict air flow at all. I've included the caliper readings in the pictures. Home Depot / Lowe's / Menard's doesn't carry SDR 26 PVC, but I did find it locally at my ACE Hardware. They stocked 20ft sections and sold it by the foot for $1.99 a foot. I bought two 3 foot sections in case I messed up bending the first one. 3 foot sections are too long, all you need is a 2 footer and you'll just trim a little off the end when done.

I chose to drill my hole in the painted plastic, I've seen other guys on the forum drill through the black plastic. I just found that it was going to be easier to go through the painted area. I drilled a pilot hole from the bottom, then drilled the 3" hole from the top as to not damage the painted area.

As I've never heat bent PVC this large before, you can see I have aluminum tape on the on the end of the PVC I'm bending. This is because I found it's almost impossible to bend without kinking, so I was filling the tubes up with sand. It seemed to work alright. The pictures below are not my final product, they are my first test run that I was doing solo. I'll need a second pair of hands to try and make the bends with the least amount of kinks in it for the final product, but I've got enough info here for anyone that wants to try the project themselves. The final picture below is through the side vent, showing the fender well clearance after the new intake was mocked up, as you can see, no issue with putting the inner fenders back on. I was using a $9.00 Harbor Freight heat gun to heat the PVC.

The air filter is a little loose fitting on the PVC, but just tighten it down really good and it seals up just fine. This is due to the pipe only being 2.875" O.D. and the Air filter is designed for 3" O.D. pipe. I don't have any concern over this, it sealed up nice and tight. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do to cover the air filter for rain / water yet, but plan on making some type of permanent fixture over it.

I'd recommend buying at least 2 (2ft) sections of PVC, mock up with the first one, work out any mistakes, and make your final product with the 2nd piece.

Measure

Project

tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have only driven one ride with mine, not sure on the factory filter as of yet. I have the metal roof and it does not stick above it..(I have a toy hauler so I was concerned as well). The small screen works great so far. Easy to clean.
Christepher could you give an update on the your thoughts on the SYA Snorkel? How is the main air filter holding up and would you install again? I'm planning to do a snorkel and like the looks of the SYA kit and now with some miles hopefully your experience/knowledge of the kit will help in my decision what direction to go.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was a little hesitant in cutting holes in those EXPENSIVE painted panels so I decided to try something else for now to prolong the service life of the stock filters. I decided to put some UNI material in front of the stock filter inside the stock air box.

I used a piece of plastic mesh (you can use just about anything) and cut it so it fits just above the Air Temp Sensor and inlet tube. Then I got some course (black) and then some 2 stage medium/fine (red/yellow) UNI pads and cut them out to fit and lightly oil...

20190921 134058

Install mesh...

20190921 134121

Then Course Filter...

20190921 134157

Then Medium/Fine Filter (red side towards the incoming air)...

20190921 134219

Then the OEM Filter (it compresses a little and pushes it all together against the OEM filter)...

20190921 134311

It seals pretty good and keeps 98% of the dirt away from the OEM filter. Not as good as HondaBob's setup but I am very happy with it so far. A little harder to maintain but well worth the effort until I decide just how I am going to do a proper fresh intake/pre filter.

So far, I have 800+ miles on a filter and it looks pretty good (considering what the first one looked like after 150 miles). I have cleaned the black filter a few times (it really collects the majority of the dust) and the red/yellow one once...

20190921 134254

C

Christepher

Oct 10, 2018
PE Canada
Ownership

1. Talon X
Christepher could you give an update on the your thoughts on the SYA Snorkel? How is the main air filter holding up and would you install again? I'm planning to do a snorkel and like the looks of the SYA kit and now with some miles hopefully your experience/knowledge of the kit will help in my decision what direction to go.
So far so good.. Filter is holding up better then it was before the snorkel. I pressure wash my rig everytime I ride. I don't cover the mouth of the filter, therefore some water does hit it.. I just remember to pull the water plug in the air box everytime I clean. it has yet to have any water in it. The little prescreen works great on the inlet. I haven't noticed any extra noise when driving, nothing bothering anyway. I do have the mouth of the snorkel pointed to the rear and not to the side like some others, this could be the reason for less noise. I would highly recommend this system, for the looks and the 6' safety net lol..

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
Looking at the condition of the pleats on the stock filter.
I am wondering if this is a result of the engine trying to over come the restriction of the incoming air from all the added filter media ?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looking at the condition of the pleats on the stock filter.
I am wondering if this is a result of the engine trying to over come the restriction of the incoming air from all the added filter media ?
If you are referring to my pics, that would be a negative. The filter pleats have always looked like that and the machine runs perfect without any power or mileage loss.

Reactions: Mikehallad
Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
I was a little hesitant in cutting holes in those EXPENSIVE painted panels so I decided to try something else for now to prolong the service life of the stock filters. I decided to put some UNI material in front of the stock filter inside the stock air box.

I used a piece of plastic mesh (you can use just about anything) and cut it so it fits just above the Air Temp Sensor and inlet tube. Then I got some course (black) and then some 2 stage medium/fine (red/yellow) UNI pads and cut them out to fit and lightly oil...

View attachment 156905

Install mesh...

View attachment 156906

Then Course Filter...

View attachment 156910

Then Medium/Fine Filter (red side towards the incoming air)...

View attachment 156909

Then the OEM Filter (it compresses a little and pushes it all together against the OEM filter)...

View attachment 156908

It seals pretty good and keeps 98% of the dirt away from the OEM filter. Not as good as HondaBob's setup but I am very happy with it so far. A little harder to maintain but well worth the effort until I decide just how I am going to do a proper fresh intake/pre filter.

So far, I have 800+ miles on a filter and it looks pretty good (considering what the first one looked like after 150 miles). I have cleaned the black filter a few times (it really collects the majority of the dust) and the red/yellow one once...

View attachment 156904

Paul, I have been trying similar custom filter material like you but haven't found the plastic mesh. Where are you sourcing the mesh or grid from?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Paul, I have been trying similar custom filter material like you but haven't found the plastic mesh. Where are you sourcing the mesh or grid from?
It was repurposed from an old furnace filter that was left over. Something like this...
Web 20 in. x 20 in. x 1 in. Eco Plus Washable FPR 4 Air Filter-WP2020FPR - The Home Depot

It is only there to hold the foam in place, you can use just about anything.

We are close to each other so if you want to meet up, I can just give you everything I have already made up. I don't use them anymore, got me an S&B.

1-Mesh
1-Med/Fine pad
2-Course pads.

Mikehallad

Mikehallad

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2019
Highland, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X
Are happy with the S&B? That's the one I've been thinking of putting on!
And thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it if I don't get the S&B.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!