ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This spring, we moved to a new home. I'm not used to the luxury of having a paved driveway, but I guess we are moving on up!
I have always had gravel driveways and when I plowed snow I just have the skids maybe 3/4" down from the blade and that's how it's currently set up. Couple years ago I went the cheap route and bought the 72" Tusk plow setup from Rocky Mountain for my 1000 and it has done fine. I had a better plow when I had my 500, but I don't really enjoy plowing all that much and this time just decided to cheap out.

Anyhow, my driveway is really nice and I have no experience plowing on asphalt. Are the metal skids going to damage it? Obviously, I know about the plastic cutting edges and read a bunch of threads on here but didn't really see anything about using the steel edge and skids on asphalt. I don't care to scrape every millimeter of snow off. I plan to use my little broadcast spreader on the back of the Recon to spread sand after I plow. I think that will work great for traction and to help melt the last bit of snow.

Does anyone here have experience using steel edge on sealed asphalt ? Any tips? I don't want to buy a plastic edge or really do much work on the blade. Hoping I can get by with the current setup without causing damage

Reactions: ChadD
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You’ll definitely want to have the blade up a bit, especially if you hit some seams or cracks.

personally I’d leave the skids so you gave a 1/2 to 3/4 clearance and let the sun do the rest. If you’re plowing when there’s snow then there should be minimal wear on a set of steel skids or shoes.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I made ski type skids, as @Dirtstiffs-1000 suggests, out of 3/4" thick UHMW-PE. The skids are mounted to a steel plate with countersunk bolts, so some of the UHMW thickness is "wasted", but still they last a good long while on my tractor mounted
blower. I made the cutting edge of the same material, cut on my table saw. I found the Peachtree Woodworking has about he best prices I could find: Peachtree

Also note the 1/8" UHMW lining the blower chute (since this was taken, I've also lined the impeller blades with and main housing with 1/8" thick UHMW . . . does an amazing job of preventing clogs when dealing with wet sticky snow. Here's a video clearing a neighbors driveway - throw is a about 75 feet.

O9wr6zW

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
You want the second solution posted here. Been using the same piece of conveyor belt for 8-9 seasons now.

Get it here: 72inch

I suggest you get the one with NO holes and just drill them for your blade.

Not only will it not damage your driveway, but you can literally push snow across your lawn without damaging it.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You want the second solution posted here. Been using the same piece of conveyor belt for 8-9 seasons now.

Get it here: 72inch

I suggest you get the one with NO holes and just drill them for your blade.

Not only will it not damage your driveway, but you can literally push snow across your lawn without damaging it.

With the UHMW-PE, you won't want to cross your lawn, that's for sure. But I think it'll do a better job scraping up ice and such than would the rubber conveyor belt material. If going with the rubber, check pricing at Home Depot . . . looks to cost less.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
With the UHMW-PE, you won't want to cross your lawn, that's for sure. But I think it'll do a better job scraping up ice and such than would the rubber conveyor belt material. If going with the rubber, check pricing at Home Depot . . . looks to cost less.
The rubbery conveyor belt removes damn near everything from a sealed asphalt driveway (thin sheet of pack) and is lawn safe.

The stuff at Home Depot isn't even half as thick as this stuff. It would fold like a cheap lawn chair.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
UTVs are too light to expect them to scrape all ice away, it’s best to not even try. The rubber is very forgiving.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I just ordered one. Been putting a beating on my concrete, mainly at the control joints. All the 5" are sold out so 4"x 66" it is. $85
You won't even notice the joints anymore. No more plow slamming forward/down and bringing the bike to a halt, and no more having to replace stretched out plow springs every few years. The rubber is thick and heavy enough to move most all the snow, yet forgiving enough to glide over the top of the changes in surface heights. Your nerves will thank you. :)

And no more buying replacement steel wear bars every year or two.

When I ordered mine, I intended to order the 4", as that was going to be sufficient. However, he was out of the 4" and he said he would ship me the 5" at no additional cost because he already had some 5" cut, but no 4". So you should be perfectly fine with the 4".

This stuff seems to last forever, but ... when you mount it: If you are able to drill the holes exactly centered between the top and bottom (of the two long edges), you'll be able to flip it over and use the other edge if/when the edge you initially have on the ground wears down or gets damaged.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!