P500 Snowy ride on 50" ATV Trail

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3748

This is my first time using a new camera (review coming soon.) I can't explain the gear grinding noise you can hear. I assure you the P5 sounds fine.

The snow on this trail is pretty deep. The trail isn't packed down like it appears either. There are short dirt cliffs lining the trail. I probably didn't even need to steer.

At 3:10 we found a downed tree that stopped us and bent the right front rim. It's just bent in at the sidewall, but nothing serious. I do think 4 new wheels and 4 new tires is in order though! We got stopped in the snow a few times after that but got out every time.

@jak9922 - Here are some of the branches that hit us in the face!

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is my first time using a new camera (review coming soon.) I can't explain the gear grinding noise you can hear. I assure you the P5 sounds fine.

The snow on this trail is pretty deep. The trail isn't packed down like it appears either. There are short dirt cliffs lining the trail. I probably didn't even need to steer.

At 3:10 we found a downed tree that stopped us and bent the right front rim. It's just bent in at the sidewall, but nothing serious. I do think 4 new wheels and 4 new tires is in order though! We got stopped in the snow a few times after that but got out every time.

@jak9922 - Here are some of the branches that hit us in the face!

I guess you do need nets don't you!!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Haha, yeah, they're not limbs, but they sting!

Those damn banked curves with the trees on the inside, I noticed you just push through them too. Roof and ROPS take a beating on those trails. Yeah, we don't need gates or posts around here.

D

Deleted member 3748

Those damn banked curves with the trees on the inside, I noticed you just push through them too. Roof and ROPS take a beating on those trails. Yeah, we don't need gates or posts around here.
Yep. There's not much else you can do, especially in the snow because you slide back down the bank. My soft top is holding up fine so far.

Reactions: trigger
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Yep. There's not much else you can do, especially in the snow because you slide back down the bank. My soft top is holding up fine so far.

I'm looking for a good cam to use on the P5. Was thinking about just getting a car dash cam. What were you using on this video? Permanently mounted?
Thanx
Al

D

Deleted member 3748

I'm looking for a good cam to use on the P5. Was thinking about just getting a car dash cam. What were you using on this video? Permanently mounted?
Thanx
Al
Camera is mounted to the grab bar with a RAM mount. I could move it in 5 minutes. I posted details about the camera here.

Dang... The link won't paste with my phone. Be right back.

advertisement
D

Deleted member 3748

Yeah, the trail was snug. The trees were nice and spread out though.

D

Deleted member 3748

@trigger Here's a pic of the shots my soft top has taken on the trees.

Shots

D

Deleted member 3748

I have a 3" to 4" scuff on my hard top in that same location. I don't feel so bad now, looks like you've been down a few more of those tighter trails than I have. :eek:
Haha, we've been down a few. The wife and I both love those tight trails.

Reactions: AlR and trigger
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Took the P5 (recently dubbed the 'Dirt Pig') out for a ride on the logging roads around Mt Arrowsmith on Vancouver Island today.

Untitled We did about 46 kms on mixed snow / ice / gravel logging roads and trails.

20170121 121437 resizedHad a lot of fun in the snow. The P5 searched around a lot in the rutted snow / ice but made good headway. Sometimes the auto transmission would search / shift up and down on the hills. Made me crazy so I ran it in manual some of the way. We got onto afew side trails that were super narrow, ie: pushing small trees aside. I am glad I got the P5.

20170121 140317 resizedA lot of the roads turned into hard pack and ice in the higher elevations.

20170121 140258 resizedHere the road was glare ice. I didn't notice until I got out to take the image and I could barely stand up on it. Temps were just above freezing so the P5 with the ITP MudLites had decent traction.

20170121 123418 resized 2Trail lunch was nice on the front hood of the rig.

20170121 191327 resizedOnly picked up one minor abrasion on the right hand side roll bar just ahead of the rear fender. One of the logging gates was closed so I shoveled abit of a trail around the gate, through the rocks... 49.5" wide apparently. It was a solid hit, but survivable. With alot of spinning on ice and pushing through 6"-12" of heavy snow, the P5 went 46 kms and used 5.1L of gas (29 miles / 1.12 gal = 25 MPG).
Al

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3748

Looks like a fun ride! It's best to get used to those marks on the roll bars. Plenty more to come! Thanks for sharing.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Ownership

1. 500

At 3:10 we found a downed tree that stopped us and bent the right front rim. It's just bent in at the sidewall, but nothing serious. I do think 4 new wheels and 4 new tires is in order though! We got stopped in the snow a few times after that

Do you think that the tree that bent your steel rim would have broken a piece off of an aluminum wheel?
Al R

D

Deleted member 3748

Do you think that the tree that bent your steel rim would have broken a piece off of an aluminum wheel?
Al R
Possibly, but I don't know because I don't know where it hit on the wheel. It was buried in snow and I didn't see it until after. If it just clipped the lip of the rim and bent it, it probably would have broken aluminum.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!