P500 Soft top

P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
On my Pioneer 520 l have the Honda hard coat tip out full windshield, and the Honda hard top. I am thinking about switching to the Honda Bimini top for noise reduction however l have heard the Honda full windshield will not work with the Honda Bimini top. Do any of you know if thats correct and if the soft top will make much difference in in cab noise? As far as a top, l really just need a shade from the sun in warmer months

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Do not think a soft top will be any quieter. I wear noise cancelling ear buds when riding for extended time. A trigger shield helps with noise and heat. I would also think a boom mat, Kilmat, or Dynomat type material added to underside of roof would help. Added it to a jeep wrangler hard top and it helped.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If u want it quieter, get analian shade in warmer months. That Bimini top is a giant parachute

Reactions: Pwright29
Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
While not totally sure, I agree with KYhillbilly that a soft top would not reduce noise that much. I have a homemade trigger shield type heat/sound shield that I extended up to the roll cage frame behind the rear seat. The noise is now low enough that my wife and I can carry on a conversation while riding without yelling. I would not give up my hard top because it extends over the front of the windshield and down the back of the cage which has kept my wife and I pretty dry when riding in rain.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda Bimini top on my P500 but do not know 100% positive if it would interfere with a full windshield or not. The top attaches with nylon straps that go around the ROPS bars at the front and at the head rest bracket. There are then large plastic "clips" that snap onto the ROPS bars that you put the fiberglass bows into. There are 4 clips that go on the 2 cross-bars at the top of the ROPS for 2 front-to-back bows and 2 clips that go on the front down-tubes just ahead of the front cross-bar for the 1 side-to-side bow. So if the full windsheild does not use those areas the clips need to go, I'd say it will work.

However, it does nothing for noise reduction. Plus, if you tow your machine on an open trailer or in the back of your truck, you will have to remove the Bimini because it will not withstand highway speeds.

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I know I'm a bit late to the party, so I will give my two cents on the subject.

I added my hard top and windshield at the same time. And I can tell you for sure the noise was way more pronounced than having neither on. I suspect that the noise from the engine, exhaust and driveline all bounce around those hard surfaces and focus the noise back at the passengers.

I can only assume that the soft top would scramble and absorb some of the noise. I have toyed with the idea of adding sound insulation under the top to absorb some of the sound. I am a bit worried about it falling down or becoming waterlogged. I also wonder if it will be a source of odors once it becomes wet and dirty.

I purchased a Tusk rear panel and will give that a try as another barrier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pwright29
P

Pwright29

Nov 15, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know I'm a bit late to the party, so I will give my two cents on the subject.

I added my hard top and windshield at the same time. And I can tell you for sure the noise was way more pronounced than having neither on. I suspect that the noise from the engine, exhaust and driveline all bounce around those hard surfaces and focus the noise back at the passengers.

I can only assume that the soft top would scramble and absorb some of the noise. I have toyed with the idea of adding sound insulation under the top to absorb some of the sound. I am a bit worried about it falling down or becoming waterlogged. I also wonder if it will be a source of odors once it becomes wet and dirty.

I purchased a Tusk rear panel and will
I have ordered some sound insulation from Amazon to put under the hard roof. I will post on here the results

D

Dj2833

Jul 31, 2020
Suffolk County, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have the Honda Bimini top on my P500 but do not know 100% positive if it would interfere with a full windshield or not. The top attaches with nylon straps that go around the ROPS bars at the front and at the head rest bracket. There are then large plastic "clips" that snap onto the ROPS bars that you put the fiberglass bows into. There are 4 clips that go on the 2 cross-bars at the top of the ROPS for 2 front-to-back bows and 2 clips that go on the front down-tubes just ahead of the front cross-bar for the 1 side-to-side bow. So if the full windsheild does not use those areas the clips need to go, I'd say it will work.

However, it does nothing for noise reduction. Plus, if you tow your machine on an open trailer or in the ack of your truck, you will have to remove the Bimini because it will not withstand highway speeds.
On my Pioneer 520 l have the Honda hard coat tip out full windshield, and the Honda hard top. I am thinking about switching to the Honda Bimini top for noise reduction however l have heard the Honda full windshield will not work with the Honda Bimini top. Do any of you know if thats correct and if the soft top will make much difference in in cab noise? As far as a top, l really just need a shade from the sun in warmer months

D

Dj2833

Jul 31, 2020
Suffolk County, NY
Ownership

1. 500
I have the P500 Bimini but no windshield. As someone mentioned there are two arched rods that connect to front & back crossbars -ROPS (see attached photos with top off). A Bimini 1 inch poly strap basically loops around 4 pillars and stap runs up to buckle on soft top. I can’t see that causing an issue but also can’t say 100% at this time unfortunately.
What I do like about Bimini is that I can quickly take top off when I feel like it. I just leave rear straps attached and roll top up like a sleeping bag, then use front straps to basically secure it low, between toolbox and ROPS. As far as noise, it’s prob not going to be that big of a factor. Hope this helps.

99966E33 BB06 49CB 982B 4D5E0185453F 9C2166ED 7D9B 4692 BADA 19F4C246C1EB B179950C DB2A 414F 8602 E28394FD603E 5368A33B 05F1 439D 8FAB 898C421E95B8 535FFF84 E4A6 4DF7 9E92 4B74926F130D

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!