P1000 Sold my P1000 - Buying again and have questions...

N

nick253

May 14, 2017
Weiser, Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd be curious to know if the I-4wd helped to save axles with separate breaking, say the front come off the ground and came down with force
Bet it does, but my experience with the brake limited slip system on my Tundra is not impressive. I would much prefer a locking diff. Serious brake wear if you get stuck. I will give this technology a couple of years and see if it is as advertised.

Reactions: sharp and ghost
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Bet it does, but my experience with the brake limited slip system on my Tundra is not impressive. I would much prefer a locking diff. Serious brake wear if you get stuck. I will give this technology a couple of years and see if it is as advertised.
Yea, I just don't know about buying a more complicated machine when they didn't have the previous years bull it proof. And haven't taken care of the heat issue.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
The '17 definitely has a smoother clutch engagement. That was the first thing I noticed when I unloaded our first one.
I don't think Honda improved their quality control on the '17 models, which is something they really should do, as they've gotten kind of sloppy with alot of things.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
OK, so long story short, changed careers and moved from CO to IL. Sold my P1000 because it was more convenient for the move. Originally I was going to go back to the dealer and be open minded and not brand loyal, was gonna try them all out and just buy whatever truly was the best machine. Well after looking at the commander, defender, profxt mule, Viking, and general, I still liked the pioneer the best.

Close run between the Viking and the pioneer. My brother has a viking VI and I can say for sure that thing is tough and it is cheaper. But still going with a pioneer again :) The other brands weren't even close, which was surprising to me.

So I found two dealers that both have 2017 P1000's and the out the door price is less than I just sold my 16 for! But here is the problem, they also both have new 2016s for $1600 less! Sooo, do I pay more for a 17 or get a 16 for crazy cheap?

I've read about a few changes between the two, even though the dealers swear they are identical. Anybody know the changes between a 2016 base model vs a 2017 base model? I've read stuff about clutch, oil cooler/delivery, seat cushion, seat heat fixes, 15mph max no seat belt, I can see the added bars near the sides of the occupant's shoulders, intake difference under hood, and programming on the manual mode so it stays there after you go in reverse then back to forward. Any of that true?
If you can wait a few months get a 2018 model, they will have a few more updates not advertised. Best thing you can do though is move out of IL as fast as you can. No where to ride, property taxes double every 5 years, and state is on verge of bankruptcy. Once it goes under should be called Madgadistan after the supermajority congressional leader who spent the last 40 years running it into the ground. Not to mention they just increased state income taxes by 66% this year.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
If you can wait a few months get a 2018 model, they will have a few more updates not advertised. Best thing you can do though is move out of IL as fast as you can. No where to ride, property taxes double every 5 years, and state is on verge of bankruptcy. Once it goes under should be called Madgadistan after the supermajority congressional leader who spent the last 40 years running it into the ground. Not to mention they just increased state income taxes by 66% this year.
Wow, move to Arkansas!

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just don't move to Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, or Idaho...UNLESS...you're ready to leave Illinois in the dust and become a westerner. Too many times I heard from transplants that have difficulty adjusting out here..."WELL THAT'S NOT HOW WE DID IT BACK HOME..." Guess where that gets ya.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Agreed!!

J

JTW

Just don't move to Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, or Idaho...UNLESS...you're ready to leave Illinois in the dust and become a westerner. Too many times I heard from transplants that have difficulty adjusting out here..."WELL THAT'S NOT HOW DID IT BACK HOME..." Guess where that gets ya.
THANK YOU!!!!! I'm on a lake here in Ky and we own a real estate company. I've heard the same thing countless times from New Yorkers, Californians and Communist illinois buyers (Chicago and suburbs)... basically anyone north of the mason dixon line. They b**** because they want to get away from all the rules and regs... but what do they bring with them? "They shouldn't be allowed to do that, back in _______, we had rules for stopping that kind of thing"

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
THANK YOU!!!!! I'm on a lake here in Ky and we own a real estate company. I've heard the same thing countless times from New Yorkers, Californians and Communist illinois buyers (Chicago and suburbs)... basically anyone north of the mason dixon line. They b**** because they want to get away from all the rules and regs... but what do they bring with them? "They shouldn't be allowed to do that, back in _______, we had rules for stopping that kind of thing"
Yea ,years ago we got an influx of California's come in to AR, kept telling me that's how they do it in Cali, finally got sick of hearing it and ask why don't you move back to Calli. They shut up

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The '17 definitely has a smoother clutch engagement. That was the first thing I noticed when I unloaded our first one.
I don't think Honda improved their quality control on the '17 models, which is something they really should do, as they've gotten kind of sloppy with alot of things.

You work at a dealer I take it? Could you really notice it? I'm that was one of the things I hated about my old one, it was very shuttery on take off. Starting on hills or in reverse was brutal.

Reactions: sharp
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All the moving talk is hilarious. The wife an I are born and raised southern IL, but lived in Vail, CO the last 7 years. Got tired of the pot smoking hippies with zero work ethic.

Moved back home to be close to family. We ride southern MO are and love that top half of AK. Probably love all of it if we ever go exploring it. My extended family is from KY ando we like it quiteasy a bit there also.

For now it is IL though. Got a good job, for now, and the cost of living went down substantially for us. People complain about the taxes in IL a lot but I'll tell ya for the most part I think it equals out. Sure my property tax rate was less in Vail but the same house cost 4 times as much so property tax ended up being much higher, add in crazy expensive gas and groceries in the mountains, high sales tax, etc... IL will be a pleasant change lol.

Reactions: Jshell3 and sharp
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody know if there has been any confirmed burnt or slipping clutch issues with a 2017 model yet?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Anybody know if there has been any confirmed burnt or slipping clutch issues with a 2017 model yet?
I haven't heard of any but, if you can wait for the 2018 models, there have been some additional changes with regard to that and the new engines have them already. Should see them in Aug/ September time frame.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
I haven't heard of any but, if you can wait for the 2018 models, there have been some additional changes with regard to that and the new engines have them already. Should see them in Aug/ September time frame.
Kind of crazy how the '17's weren't out until when was it ? Feb. or so ? And the '18's are going to be out already in Aug/Sep. ? o_O

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
You work at a dealer I take it? Could you really notice it? I'm that was one of the things I hated about my old one, it was very shuttery on take off. Starting on hills or in reverse was brutal.
Unfortunately, yes I do :p. The improved engagement caught my attention immediately.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Kind of crazy how the '17's weren't out until when was it ? Feb. or so ? And the '18's are going to be out already in Aug/Sep. ? o_O
Between the clutches, water ingestion, and heat complaints it built a fire under thier ass too, (pun intended) to deal with those issues. The 2018 should address all 3 with the least effective change being the heat, easiest way is add a bilge fan and be done with it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!