BOX1

P1000 Sold my P1000 - Buying again and have questions...

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, so long story short, changed careers and moved from CO to IL. Sold my P1000 because it was more convenient for the move. Originally I was going to go back to the dealer and be open minded and not brand loyal, was gonna try them all out and just buy whatever truly was the best machine. Well after looking at the commander, defender, profxt mule, Viking, and general, I still liked the pioneer the best.

Close run between the Viking and the pioneer. My brother has a viking VI and I can say for sure that thing is tough and it is cheaper. But still going with a pioneer again :) The other brands weren't even close, which was surprising to me.

So I found two dealers that both have 2017 P1000's and the out the door price is less than I just sold my 16 for! But here is the problem, they also both have new 2016s for $1600 less! Sooo, do I pay more for a 17 or get a 16 for crazy cheap?

I've read about a few changes between the two, even though the dealers swear they are identical. Anybody know the changes between a 2016 base model vs a 2017 base model? I've read stuff about clutch, oil cooler/delivery, seat cushion, seat heat fixes, 15mph max no seat belt, I can see the added bars near the sides of the occupant's shoulders, intake difference under hood, and programming on the manual mode so it stays there after you go in reverse then back to forward. Any of that true?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The only changes I know of are the....

1. Hip bars

2. Seat belt sensors

3. Rubber flap under the seat which people say doesn't help much.

4. Thicker seat

5. ???? I can't remember anything else right now.

The LE has more changes but that's not comparing apples to apples.

J

Jshell3

I've read about a few changes between the two, even though the dealers swear they are identical. Anybody know the changes between a 2016 base model vs a 2017 base model? I've read stuff about clutch, oil cooler/delivery, seat cushion, seat heat fixes, 15mph max no seat belt, I can see the added bars near the sides of the occupant's shoulders, intake difference under hood, and programming on the manual mode so it stays there after you go in reverse then back to forward. Any of that true?

You've nailed it.
It's all true. Is it worth the $1600? To me...YES. (but I have a '17)
If you plan on selling again at some point, you'll get some of your $1600 back just having a 1yr newer model. (and the added fixes Honda has made along the way. You've mentioned)

From a survey standpoint, youll find '16 owners saying buy the 16, and 17 owners saying to buy the 17. That makes sense. We all like to think we spent our $$$ the smart way.

So weigh your pro's and con's. Either way, you'll win. Sounds like.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Straight from hondas website:

Available in three trim levels, updated to be more comfortable for 2017 thanks to improved front seats, and pre-wired to make winch installation easier than ever, when you’re looking for a side-by-side you’ll be driving for years to come, the Honda Pioneer 1000 lineup is what you want.
Read more at 2017 Pioneer - Honda Powersports

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From honda pro Kevin's site:

1. 2017 Pioneer 1000 EPS Changes / Improvements
Key Changes / Improvements for ALL 2017 Pioneer 1000 models (including base):

• Memory function that retains the last transmission mode after engaging reverse
  • Winch harness now pre-wired
  • Thicker seat foam for improved comfort
  • Refined DCT control for even smoother acceleration from a stop

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK, so long story short, changed careers and moved from CO to IL. Sold my P1000 because it was more convenient for the move. Originally I was going to go back to the dealer and be open minded and not brand loyal, was gonna try them all out and just buy whatever truly was the best machine. Well after looking at the commander, defender, profxt mule, Viking, and general, I still liked the pioneer the best.

Close run between the Viking and the pioneer. My brother has a viking VI and I can say for sure that thing is tough and it is cheaper. But still going with a pioneer again :) The other brands weren't even close, which was surprising to me.

So I found two dealers that both have 2017 P1000's and the out the door price is less than I just sold my 16 for! But here is the problem, they also both have new 2016s for $1600 less! Sooo, do I pay more for a 17 or get a 16 for crazy cheap?

It depends on what you want to end up with and if the I-4wd is of interest to you.

Honestly I wanted the I-4WD, I don't measure my manhood by whether I can make it up a slick section in Turf mode, I know I can ;).
I wanted to put it in 4WD for technical trail use and just ride. It's supposed to make tight turns on technical trails MUCH easier to navigate, among other benefits. I also wanted every one of the accessories that came already installed on the LE and I liked the color.

What I didn't like at the time was a $4500 premium between a brand new 17LE and brand new 16Deluxe (when you account for the accessories added)
If I was just looking at the difference between the 17Deluxe and the 17LE there was a small premium I think around $1500 for the I-4WD when you take into account the parts and accessories you get already installed. Plus you get Hill Assist as an added bonus.

Some people will argue adamantly against technology, its here and as long as it works why not use it?
I agree the old school way you KNOW its in 4Lock and you can choose.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I sold a base model and will be buying a base model. Never really considered whether the i4wd deal would be good for me or not since it is out of my price range lol.

For me I think the benefit of the 17 is future resale being a year newer (although I don't plan to sell it, ya never know like my last one haha), and any possible changes in the transmission or clutch situation.

Can anyone confirm if their were in fact any actual changes with the DCT?

Reactions: sharp and swsebek
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan to snorkel and install bilge fans so don't care about seat heat or intake changes. I sat in a 17 LE and didn't notice a difference as far as thicker seat or comfort. Don't care for the seat belt sensors or added bars next to the seats. The programming for staying in Manual mode would be nice, but I had gotten used to it so not a huge deal.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
1600 is a lot of bills just for future resale potential. Drive that 17 off the lot and you'll loose at lest 1600.

For me none of the confirmed changes are worth 1600 - some are actually negative. That leaves the rumours about DCT.

I would probably get the 17

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
17-- hands down

Reactions: sharp
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I sold a base model and will be buying a base model. Never really considered whether the i4wd deal would be good for me or not since it is out of my price range lol.

For me I think the benefit of the 17 is future resale being a year newer (although I don't plan to sell it, ya never know like my last one haha), and any possible changes in the transmission or clutch situation.

Exactly what I thought on resale and No changes....So when you sale It and they ask<Hey is this the ones with clutch issues>you can say No they fixed that in 17 :D Hell even the sales man will have to ask....

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It depends on what you want to end up with and if the I-4wd is of interest to you.

Honestly I wanted the I-4WD, I don't measure my manhood by whether I can make it up a slick section in Turf mode, I know I can ;).
I wanted to put it in 4WD for technical trail use and just ride. It's supposed to make tight turns on technical trails MUCH easier to navigate, among other benefits. I also wanted every one of the accessories that came already installed on the LE and I liked the color.

What I didn't like at the time was a $4500 premium between a brand new 17LE and brand new 16Deluxe (when you account for the accessories added)
If I was just looking at the difference between the 17Deluxe and the 17LE there was a small premium I think around $1500 for the I-4WD when you take into account the parts and accessories you get already installed. Plus you get Hill Assist as an added bonus.

Some people will argue adamantly against technology, its here and as long as it works why not use it?
I agree the old school way you KNOW its in 4Lock and you can choose.
I'd be curious to know if the I-4wd helped to save axles with separate breaking, say the front come off the ground and came down with force

J

Jshell3

I sold a base model and will be buying a base model. Never really considered whether the i4wd deal would be good for meor not since it is out of my price range lol.

• The seat is softer in the 17. I don't know if that's got any effect on heat, but 16 owners have stated my seat was different/nicer than theirs.
  • The transmission computer has memory. So shifting from reverse, you're right back where you wanna be.
  • I have NOT driven a 16 to compare shifting programming
  • Winch prewired is effectively a non-point - only a negative wire was added (not much in the sense of labor saving - at least not for me)
  • The seatbelt limitor is a SUPER EASY FIX $0 and not a gimmick of any kind. Can do in 5 mins and would be the 1st mod to do
  • Clutches are 100% identical to the 16's
See mine here. Big Blue
I hope that helps.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't seen any changes that amount to anything. I would like to have the trans memory option though. But if you're gonna spend that kinda money, I say buy the newer model. That's alot of coin to pay for a leftover lol.

Reactions: sharp and ghost
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a 16 and I would buy the 17. I would at least get the power steering. Didn't think it was that big of a deal till I have it. Now it isn't an option but a necessity!

Reactions: sharp and Rodney960
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If Honda and dealers were honest, I'm betting the transmission memory thing is a flashable item on the BCM.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any chance some of these changes were in affect for late model 2016s, or does it have to be a 17 to have the updates? I'm talking about 5 seaters also in case there was any confusion.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!