Spark plugs?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What kind of spark plugs are you running, how often do you change them?

I'm looking to change mine out and can't seem to find what is recommended or where to even order. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: TxDoc
Stilly1155

Stilly1155

Supporting Member
Dec 1, 2020
Peoria AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X4

I'm looking to change mine out and can't seem to find what is recommended or where to even order. Thanks in advance!

Honda OEM Spark Plug SILMAR8A9S It's a NGK​

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe TMI....

IIRC...... The 2001 Rubicon with the HondaMatic transmission, was the first one to cone with Iridium plugs as OEM.

They are "self-cleaning'. When they get somewhere over 800 degrees F, carbon deposits generated are burned off, preventing any misfires.

Iridium is the second densest naturally occurring metal in nature.

Iridium is six times harder than platinum and eight times stronger than platinum. Iridium hads a 700° higher melting point. Iridium spark plugs have extremely fine electrodes while retaining excellent wear characteristics. Thanks to its strength, iridium spark plugs can last up to 25% longer than comparable platinum spark plugs. Many cars and trucks don't require changing until 100,00 miles.

I remember twenty years ago that I was surprised at a plug that cost $15 each. But, apparently they're worth it .

Good luck on your project.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

Plugs in a Talon will probably last 25,000 miles.
The gap is set on a new plug at .8-.9mm, you should never re-gap the plug after initial install.
Replace the plug if the gap is 1mm (.040") or more.
Replace the plug if the center electrode is rounded off.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all, thanks for the replies!

I rolled the talon last season and just curious if this is something I should replace for the coming riding season.

I may just order them and replace them for peace of mind.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey all, thanks for the replies!

I rolled the talon last season and just curious if this is something I should replace for the coming riding season.

I may just order them and replace them for peace of mind.

How many miles? TxDoc's post implies that they'll last a very long time, well over 10k miles at least.

Reactions: Squeegee
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
How many miles? TxDoc's post implies that they'll last a very long time, well over 10k miles at least.
Roughly 500 miles, however only looking to replace since I've had the rollover.

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Roughly 500 miles, however only looking to replace since I've had the rollover.

FWIW, I had mine on the passenger side for a few minutes and it burned some oil when I restarted. Never changed the plugs (because they are expensive as hell) and that was 3,000 miles ago and she still runs fine.

I think @hondabob still has factory plugs at 30,000 miles.

Reactions: Squeegee and CID
Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
FWIW, I had mine on the passenger side for a few minutes and it burned some oil when I restarted. Never changed the plugs (because they are expensive as hell) and that was 3,000 miles ago and she still runs fine.

I think @hondabob still has factory plugs at 30,000 miles.
You know I did roll mine on the driver side, and the plugs are passenger side. Maybe this isn't as big of an issue as I thought since the plugs are on the other side.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You know I did roll mine on the driver side, and the plugs are passenger side. Maybe this isn't as big of an issue as I thought since the plugs are on the other side.

Well, mine sat on the driver side over night for over 8 hours once too (this happened after the time I set it on the right ) and it fired right up. Still never replaced the plugs...

20200601 203431

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well, mine sat on the driver side over night for over 8 hours once too (this happened after the time I set it on the right ) and it fired right up. Still never replaced the plugs...

View attachment 321596
Man, hope you didn't get hurt! Mine rolled over then stopped on the driver's side. Thankfully another rider pulled me back over. Those 1700lbs roll hard!

I feel like ever since that day it has a strange note to the exhaust.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Man, hope you didn't get hurt! Mine rolled over then stopped on the driver's side. Thankfully another rider pulled me back over. Those 1700lbs roll hard!

I feel like ever since that day it has a strange note to the exhaust.

It barely tipped, was almost stopped when it happened. It latterly teetered and I just couldn't save it. Let go of the wheel and tucked my arms in and grabbed my head as soon as I realized it was a goner and it landed pretty softly in the sand. Did almost ZERO damage, just bent one tab that holds some plastics. I fixed that back at camp in 10 minutes.

Was a weekday and basically no one around so I had to walk back a mile to camp and it was dark by the time I found someone to help so I just waited till morning to go get it. I know it would be fine on the drivers side (not so good on the passenger side, it will fill the cylinders with oil in no time). A real nice stranger helped me winch it back over, waited a few minutes for the oil to settle and fired it up and drove back to camp for further inspection.

Hardest part of the whole thing was getting out of the machine with the windshield :)

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
It barely tipped, was almost stopped when it happened. It latterly teetered and I just couldn't save it. Let go of the wheel and tucked my arms in and grabbed my head as soon as I realized it was a goner and it landed pretty softly in the sand. Did almost ZERO damage, just bent one tab that holds some plastics. I fixed that back at camp in 10 minutes.

Was a weekday and basically no one around so I had to walk back a mile to camp and it was dark by the time I found someone to help so I just waited till morning to go get it. I know it would be fine on the drivers side (not so good on the passenger side, it will fill the cylinders with oil in no time). A real nice stranger helped me winch it back over, waited a few minutes for the oil to settle and fired it up and drove back to camp for further inspection.

Hardest part of the whole thing was getting out of the machine with the windshield :)
Didn't you have a hub break on your machine when it was new that caused another roll?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Didn't you have a hub break on your machine when it was new that caused another roll?
Kind of. Front knuckle broke at the lower ball joint and flipped me over 1.5 times and landed on the top. Machine had 14 miles and I was in so much shock, I didn't even take any pics.

So, if "pics or or didn't happen" is true then it never happened ;)

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Kind of. Front knuckle broke at the lower ball joint and flipped me over 1.5 times and landed on the top. Machine had 14 miles and I was in so much shock, I didn't even take any pics.

So, if "pics or or didn't happen" is true then it never happened ;)
Guess it never happened. 🤣

Safe to say you didn't just flip it back over and drive it back to camp?

• Haha
Reactions: TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Guess it never happened. 🤣

Safe to say you didn't just flip it back over and drive it back to camp?
Nope. Removed the shock, strapped up the RF, hung it from the back of an old RZR 800 trail to keep the front end off the ground.

It was at the dunes in the bottom of a bowl so it took him in 4WD and me in 2WD and a lot of fancy driving/maneuvering but we got it to a spot where we could load it up on the trailer.

Kinda ruined the whole day :)

Only broken front knuckle I have ever seen on a Talon so it must have been a casting flaw. An engineer also told me the dark parts indicate a cold (and weak) casting...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!