Sport mode wont engage

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Just getting ready to hit 5,000 miles on my Talon. Riding last week in WV, and it was wet, I accidently hit the MT button. (I always keep it in auto.) I tried to put it back to auto, and it wouldn't go into auto. I turned the key off and then restarted it and it was fine. But when I tried to put it in sport mode, or in MT mode, it wont go. Maybe wet? Bad switch, fuse? Any idea if the sport mode switch is fused and where the fuse would be?

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Maybe wet? Bad switch, fuse?
All the above is a great place to start.
You obviously shorted something.
Start with taking the switch out and check voltage supplied to the switch. (You will have to figure what wire) if no power mover to that power source as your issue. If u have power, and nothing comes out of the switch, then its your switch. Process of elimination.
As for a fuse, the fuses are located under the hood and i believe indicate what is what.
If u become a life/supporting member you can get access to the manual with wiring diagrams and info as well to help you

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
All the above is a great place to start.
You obviously shorted something.
Start with taking the switch out and check voltage supplied to the switch. (You will have to figure what wire) if no power mover to that power source as your issue. If u have power, and nothing comes out of the switch, then its your switch. Process of elimination.
As for a fuse, the fuses are located under the hood and i believe indicate what is what.
If u become a life/supporting member you can get access to the manual with wiring diagrams and info as well to help you
Thanks, I checked youtube, nothing on there about removing the stock switches. Anyone done this and can share?

Reactions: ChadD
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
So I looked up in the manual, the blade fuses are in between the driver/passenger seats. You have to pull of that plastic cover. The EPS, Brake traction and radiator fan fuses are above the battery. They are square fuses, not the blade kind.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks, I checked LubeTube, nothing on there about removing the stock switches. Anyone done this and can share?
You can either remove the hood and cowling near the window and reach down inside and squeeze the clips to remove them. Or start taking the dash/bezel in the front where they are apart like when u added switches for your aftermarket lights radio and the like.

Reactions: ChadD
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks. I have it on the lift right now to replace a wheel bearing. I'll bring it down and check fuses, then the switch.

Reactions: Udaman and ChadD
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got the switch out. You have to go behind the cluster to get it out. It takes a little work but I got it. The switch wires are sealed into the back of the switch. The plug for the switch is so far up in there its close to impossible to get a meter on the prongs. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and talk to the mechanic I know there and see what he suggest. I'm thinking the switch is bad. I'll find out and post.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got the switch out. You have to go behind the cluster to get it out. It takes a little work but I got it. The switch wires are sealed into the back of the switch. The plug for the switch is so far up in there its close to impossible to get a meter on the prongs. I am going to call the dealership tomorrow and talk to the mechanic I know there and see what he suggest. I'm thinking the switch is bad. I'll find out and post.
can u follow the switch to a connector need to be able to get a meter on it OR drive a pin thru the wire and grab a reading (not recommended but had to do this with nails in some old electrical cables over the years - yes I was puckered).

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!