Spreader mount/install suggestions needed

G

GPS

Apr 10, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 520
I had a UTV/SXS for several years prior to upgrading to a 520 last October (about 6 months later than planned!). My primary criteria in selecting a new UTV was to fit in my Tundra bed for hauling rather than towing. And my primary use is work, to serve as my tractor on hunting property - clearing, plowing, planting, etc. Couldn't be happier with anything than I've been with the 520.
With the prior UTV I used an ATV style spreader. These are typically designed to be attached to ATVs with U-bolts. I simply drilled holes in my UTV's bed and connected with U-bolts. Very secure and worked fine. Couple years ago that spreader died and I replaced it with a Swisher 19920, also an ATV style. But now with the 520 I'd prefer not to drill holes in the bed. I'm trying to identify how to install the spreader on a 520.
I'm still new on this forum but it took no time to realize the wealth of experience and information and know-how of so many members. I'm not entirely clueless, generally, but do realize and admit that sometimes I just don't envision the best way to handle some things, especially projects of a mechanical or handy-man type. You all know Honda UTVs and the 520, I presume. Below is the spreader. So I sure would tremendously appreciate any observations and recommendations on the best method, the simplest and most secure, to mount this spreader to my 520 without drilling the bed. It weighs about 40 lbs, itself, and has a capacity of about 150 lbs.

Thanks - Greg

Reactions: Rayger143
OlYeller15

OlYeller15

Jan 30, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
I had a UTV/SXS for several years prior to upgrading to a 520 last October (about 6 months later than planned!). My primary criteria in selecting a new UTV was to fit in my Tundra bed for hauling rather than towing. And my primary use is work, to serve as my tractor on hunting property - clearing, plowing, planting, etc. Couldn't be happier with anything than I've been with the 520.
With the prior UTV I used an ATV style spreader. These are typically designed to be attached to ATVs with U-bolts. I simply drilled holes in my UTV's bed and connected with U-bolts. Very secure and worked fine. Couple years ago that spreader died and I replaced it with a Swisher 19920, also an ATV style. But now with the 520 I'd prefer not to drill holes in the bed. I'm trying to identify how to install the spreader on a 520.
I'm still new on this forum but it took no time to realize the wealth of experience and information and know-how of so many members. I'm not entirely clueless, generally, but do realize and admit that sometimes I just don't envision the best way to handle some things, especially projects of a mechanical or handy-man type. You all know Honda UTVs and the 520, I presume. Below is the spreader. So I sure would tremendously appreciate any observations and recommendations on the best method, the simplest and most secure, to mount this spreader to my 520 without drilling the bed. It weighs about 40 lbs, itself, and has a capacity of about 150 lbs.

Thanks - Greg

View attachment 321092
Not sure how the Swisher works but I had a spreader I mounted on a couple of 4x4 that sat inside the bed. Don’t have any pictures I’ve bought a 300lb pull behind spreader.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Thanks - Greg

View attachment 321092
Weld up a bracket that fits the receiver hitch, pull a pin to remove?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!