BOX1

Stealth Snorkel Examples - Honda Pioneer 1000

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There have been lots of snorkel examples lately. Figured I would add another.
You will also find this same option and a few other in the DIY Snorkel thread here - DIY Snorkel

This style I am calling a stealth snorkel because it requires no modification to the the unit and can be easily reverted in a few seconds. The only issue I personally have is a prefilter but several users have found a solution. I will post those also.

Supple list :
Insulation is easy.
  • Remove the black cover.
  • Install the silicone reducer
  • Insert the hose
  • Run the line. I ran mine center between a metal bar up under the dash.
It was a tight fit so I did not see a need for a clamp. But if you don't check your rig often you should consider a hose clamp or something. I also found no need to seal the hose. It too was a tight fit and I see very little probability of water getting past it.

I never have plans to go this deep. But I have found myself fairly deep by mistake. I also like to run through creeks fast on a hot summer day and after hearing about all the water entry trouble I figured this might save me a hefty bill.

Hey @Hondasxs .....I'm thinking I'll do something like this. Thanks for posting. I noticed the link for the 3" to 2.75" reducer brings me to a 3" to 2.5" reducer. I can find a 3x2.75" on Amazon as well....can you confirm which one you used? The measurements on the Amazon listing are confusing.

Reactions: Big_Daddy
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
do you guys see any issue with the intake pulling in much hotter air up in behind the dash? I've heard people complain about how hot it is behind the dash and hot air coming in around the shifter and stuff. Just curious if that's an issue and if it's major.

Reactions: swampsnake
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
do you guys see any issue with the intake pulling in much hotter air up in behind the dash? I've heard people complain about how hot it is behind the dash and hot air coming in around the shifter and stuff. Just curious if that's an issue and if it's major.
I never noticed it and it did well for dodging splash water but I had a close one this past weekend and I'm going higher, not to go looking for trouble but as the sand started sinking on me my beer started tasting like puke in my mouth, I got lucky

Stevo

Stevo

Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Uni Filter 2-stage Angle Pod Filter 58mm I.d. X 102mm Length Up4229ast Amazon.com: Uni Filter 2-stage Angle Pod Filter 58mm I.d. X 102mm Length Up4229ast: Automotive

Heres the filter

2"x 3" fernco coupling
2" pvc street elbow and a short piece of 2" pipe

I turned down the 2" pvc (2.375 OD) to 2.25" OD help the filter go on and off better for maint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
I really like your idea of a snorkel. Did you leave the uni filter dry or oil it. I just wonder if oiled would it restrict too much air. If oiled did use uni filter oil.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey @Hondasxs .....I'm thinking I'll do something like this. Thanks for posting. I noticed the link for the 3" to 2.75" reducer brings me to a 3" to 2.5" reducer. I can find a 3x2.75" on Amazon as well....can you confirm which one you used? The measurements on the Amazon listing are confusing.
Your right. I fixed it to this one - http://amzn.to/2qWgHhU
Just went to measure to make sure. 2.75 ID is what you need.

@Big_Daddy, I haven't noticed any issue. But I do see your logic.

FROGSKIN...
Sorry. Sold out!
Do we have several buyers? I could order more and split it up?

Reactions: JTW
B

Badsob982

Aug 3, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like your idea of a snorkel. Did you leave the uni filter dry or oil it. I just wonder if oiled would it restrict too much air. If oiled did use uni filter oil.
Oiled it. I used air filter oil I have been having for years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
it would be sweet for someone in the aftermarket to make a replacement hood with a raised cowl that could be ducted to the intake. wouldn't need to be extreme like a drag car or anything. doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult if someone had the resources.

Last edited:
Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
trying to envision one of those tiny fake hood scoops that look so cheesy on these ghetto fast and furious dodge neons turned around backwards and mounted to a p1 hood essentially making it a cowl. seems like you could run the same flex hose to a 3" flange in the hood covered by the "scoop". Maybe connect the hose the the flange with a quick release hose clamp to make getting the hood off easier.

might have to try it. found a scoop on amazon for $10 Amazon.com: Aumo-mate New Universal Car Air Flow Intake Scoop Turbo Bonnet SUV Vent Cover (Black): Automotive , so worst case scenario i pissed away $10. wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last for that. The scoop is 10 inches long and 7 wide. ~1.5" tall

Other idea is to try it forward facing and cover the flange with frogzskin to prevent water from coming in and have a sort of ram air intake. Not sure if that would hurt things or not performance wise though (i.e. make it run lean from more air and no programming to increase fuel to make up for it)

Last edited:
ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your right. I fixed it to this one - http://amzn.to/2qWgHhU
Just went to measure to make sure. 2.75 ID is what you need.

@Big_Daddy, I haven't noticed any issue. But I do see your logic.

FROGSKIN...
Sorry. Sold out!
Do we have several buyers? I could order more and split it up?

Thanks @Hondasxs . Based on your info, I ordered an elbow in the same dimensions. I was thinking I would just turn it and use rigid PVC to go back, but now that I have it I'm thinking it might not clear if I decide to put a second battery in. I'll mess around with it and try to come up with something.

ripHST

ripHST

Feb 27, 2017
Van Etten, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
trying to envision one of those tiny fake hood scoops that look so cheesy on these ghetto fast and furious dodge neons turned around backwards and mounted to a p1 hood essentially making it a cowl. seems like you could run the same flex hose to a 3" flange in the hood covered by the "scoop". Maybe connect the hose the the flange with a quick release hose clamp to make getting the hood off easier.

might have to try it. found a scoop on amazon for $10 Amazon.com: Aumo-mate New Universal Car Air Flow Intake Scoop Turbo Bonnet SUV Vent Cover (Black): Automotive , so worst case scenario i pissed away $10. wouldn't be the first time and certainly won't be the last for that. The scoop is 10 inches long and 7 wide. ~1.5" tall

Other idea is to try it forward facing and cover the flange with frogzskin to prevent water from coming in and have a sort of ram air intake. Not sure if that would hurt things or not performance wise though (i.e. make it run lean from more air and no programming to increase fuel to make up for it)

I'd like to see this....and hear it. I bet it would sound pretty good.

Big_Daddy

Big_Daddy

Apr 17, 2017
Clayton, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd like to see this....and hear it. I bet it would sound pretty good.

Me too, but I just can't make myself believe that it's really a good idea. For now I think I'm just going under the dash. Looks like in and towards the passenger door you can get a little higher behind the glove box

Redmist

Redmist

Jun 9, 2016
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMG 1011
I used Badsob982 design for a snorkal. Dumb question is there enough air under the hood to not restrict air flow?

I did find a Fernco 2" x 2 1/2" fitting that fit perfect. The 3" bulged out trying to get tighten down.

Great information on the site, thanks

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 44065 I used Badsob982 design for a snorkal. Dumb question is there enough air under the hood to not restrict air flow?

I did find a Fernco 2" x 2 1/2" fitting that fit perfect. The 3" bulged out trying to get tighten down.

Great information on the site, thanks
Yes there is plenty of air.

Reactions: swampsnake
truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very inexpensive and easy peace of mind.
Sewer pipe, filter material and a rubber fitting.
I like the flex hoses and pre-filter above - but i used what I had.
View attachment 25006 View attachment 25003 View attachment 25004View attachment 25007
Ghost does the hood go down all the way with that 3" 90* ABS? I'm getting my parts list together and I'm thinking Ill do your setup with a frogzskin on the end vs the filter material. Unless someone has experience with the frogzskin getting a dust film and clogging the air flow to much?

Last edited:
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Ghost does the hood go down all the way with that 3" 90* ABS? I'm getting my parts list together and I'm thinking Ill do your setup with a frogzskin on the end vs the filter material. Unless someone has experience with the frogzskin getting a dust film and clogging the air flow to much?
Yup - it fits.
That first elbow contacts the hood and one side of the hood needs to be pushed down about 1/8 inch to close it. I could probably get it fit 100% but havent bothered. Not that fussy - lol.

truc577

truc577

Lifetime Member
May 17, 2017
NEMO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup - it fits.
That first elbow contacts the hood and one side of the hood needs to be pushed down about 1/8 inch to close it. I could probably get it fit 100% but havent bothered. Not that fussy - lol.
Cool I switched to 3" sch 35 its has a 1/4" smaller diameter. I think Ill add an inside pipe drain vent to help support the frogskin fabric. Waiting on a 2.75 to 2.75 coupling and the frogzskin. Oh and yeah I need my pioneer as well!! Ill post when all parts come in.

Reactions: ghost
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Cool I switched to 3" sch 35 its has a 1/4" smaller diameter. I think Ill add an inside pipe drain vent to help support the frogskin fabric. Waiting on a 2.75 to 2.75 coupling and the frogzskin. Oh and yeah I need my pioneer as well!! Ill post when all parts come in.
Good ideas. I would be tempted to put the frogskin over the pipe and put a coupling over it to hold it in place.
Might need to sand out the coupling so it fits good and drill a small hole in the coupling for a pin to hold it over the pipe.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!