Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There have been lots of snorkel examples lately. Figured I would add another.
You will also find this same option and a few other in the DIY Snorkel thread here - DIY Snorkel

This style I am calling a stealth snorkel because it requires no modification to the the unit and can be easily reverted in a few seconds. The only issue I personally have is a prefilter but several users have found a solution. I will post those also.

Supple list :
Insulation is easy.
  • Remove the black cover.
  • Install the silicone reducer
  • Insert the hose
  • Run the line. I ran mine center between a metal bar up under the dash.
It was a tight fit so I did not see a need for a clamp. But if you don't check your rig often you should consider a hose clamp or something. I also found no need to seal the hose. It too was a tight fit and I see very little probability of water getting past it.

I never have plans to go this deep. But I have found myself fairly deep by mistake. I also like to run through creeks fast on a hot summer day and after hearing about all the water entry trouble I figured this might save me a hefty bill.

A1225eb3129df88a1cd1e94c4f51700a
3c3ca55f79ecb5aa973886a97033076f
F5b93afca747e2203a589871727e6025

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Here is another example by @Kenjones21 using a prefilter.
Looks to use a Uni Filter 76mm id - http://amzn.to/2cRddWO

Can't really tell from picture but it just goes in and points up , dont ever plan on going real deep but now have the option to go to top of the dash , noticed it was dusty up in there so I put a air filter , can't tell of any power loss so far but just took it for spin in yard
Image Image 1

Last edited:
chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There have been lots of snorkel examples lately. Figured I would add another.
You will also find this same option and a few other in the DIY Snorkel thread here - DIY Snorkel

This style I am calling a stealth snorkel because it requires no modification to the the unit and can be easily reverted in a few seconds. The only issue I personally have is a prefilter but several users have found a solution. I will post those also.

Supple list :
Insulation is easy.
  • Remove the black cover.
  • Install the silicone reducer
  • Insert the hose
  • Run the line. I ran mine center between a metal bar up under the dash.
It was a tight fit so I did not see a need for a clamp. But if you don't check your rig often you should consider a hose clamp or something. I also found no need to seal the hose. It too was a tight fit and I see very little probability of water getting past it.

I never have plans to go this deep. But I have found myself fairly deep by mistake. I also like to run through creeks fast on a hot summer day and after hearing about all the water entry trouble I figured this might save me a hefty bill.

View attachment 22448
View attachment 22455
View attachment 22456
Kinda like this, mostly because I haven't done anything and this looks to be a good safety measure.... Need more free time!!!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Nice write-up @Hondasxs ! thisll really help those who want to be safer without looking at a snorkel.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Very inexpensive and easy peace of mind.
Sewer pipe, filter material and a rubber fitting.
I like the flex hoses and pre-filter above - but i used what I had.
IMG 3109 IMG 3112 IMG 3120IMG 3121

Last edited:
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very inexpensive and easy peace of mind.
Sewer pipe, filter material and a rubber fitting.
I like the flex hoses and pre-filter above - but i used what I had.
View attachment 25006 View attachment 25003 View attachment 25004View attachment 25007

What is this a 90* fitting, (approx) 6" piece of pipe, and 45* fitting? Simplest looking snorkel yet. I don't even plan on going up to the hood in water so this looks like something I might want to try. I haven't even extended my vents yet so I got plenty to do. It's hunting season now so I wont see any deep water at all for a few months.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@nbomar really consider doing something it's not just the deep water taking these out. Even the setups under the hood are much safer I believe. The time and money involved is nothing to possibly save your machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
What is this a 90* fitting, (approx) 6" piece of pipe, and 45* fitting? Simplest looking snorkel yet. I don't even plan on going up to the hood in water so this looks like something I might want to try. I haven't even extended my vents yet so I got plenty to do. It's hunting season now so I wont see any deep water at all for a few months.

Here is my parts list

3 inch rubber coupling for plastic to copper
3 inch ABS street elbow (male / female)
7" x 3 inch abs pipe
3 inch ABS 45 degree elbow
heavy wire to hold filter material
course pond filter media to stop large debris

The rubber on the coupling is thicker on one end (the copper side) that accommodate the 2 3/4 intake. Home Depot might not have the coupling - I got mine from a plumbing wholesaler.

B

Badsob982

Aug 3, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Uni Filter 2-stage Angle Pod Filter 58mm I.d. X 102mm Length Up4229ast https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5XSVA/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Heres the filter

2"x 3" fernco coupling
2" pvc street elbow and a short piece of 2" pipe

I turned down the 2" pvc (2.375 OD) to 2.25" OD help the filter go on and off better for maint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here is my parts list

3 inch rubber coupling for plastic to copper
3 inch ABS street elbow (male / female)
7" x 3 inch abs pipe
3 inch ABS 45 degree elbow
heavy wire to hold filter material
course pond filter media to stop large debris

The rubber on the coupling is thicker on one end (the copper side) that accommodate the 2 3/4 intake. Home Depot might not have the coupling - I got mine from a plumbing wholesaler.
It's called a Fernco coupling, very flexible and a good coupling

Reactions: ghost
UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I see where some have chosen to keep snorkel under the "hood" rather than running up the ROPS or through the hood. Is there a real gain in safety if only raising the intake a few inches "under the hood" worth the effort or is it more for relocating the air intake to the centre of the vehicle in case vehicle is tipped over in water on the passenger side...

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I see where some have chosen to keep snorkel under the "hood" rather than running up the ROPS or through the hood. Is there a real gain in safety if only raising the intake a few inches "under the hood" worth the effort or is it more for relocating the air intake to the centre of the vehicle in case vehicle is tipped over in water on the passenger side...
Yes - risk of water intake is much lower with the underhood snorkel.
The stock location can take water when splashing thru puddles. Under the hood - behind the dash is much drier - and probably requires submersion for water intake.

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes - risk of water intake is much lower with the underhood snorkel.
The stock location can take water when splashing thru puddles. Under the hood - behind the dash is much drier - and probably requires submersion for water intake.
This is good to know. I was under assumption that snorkeling was more for those who do "immerse" their machine from time to time. Didn't think that "splashing" was something to consider.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I wouldnt have either.
It's not common but there have been some reports of that happening.
If you hit a deep puddle water can splash over the hood (and into your face lol). The stock intake is at the front of the vehicle next to the rad... Definitely friday afternoon when the engineer put it there.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!