steering rack bushings.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I have play in my steering rack. 19 R, what all do I need to order? just the 4$ bushings? or the whole inner knuckle.?
How hard of a job is it to replace these?

Reactions: Plumber32
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have play in my steering rack. 19 R, what all do I need to order? just the 4$ bushings? or the whole inner knuckle.?
How hard of a job is it to replace these?
Bushings are a piece of cake

H

HondaTech

If you have to pull the rack the diff has to come out. Which means the stupid driveshaft clip has to come out. Then you have to take the front shaft loop.

We've gotten around removing the floor to get the shaft loop out. But the clip in the diff is a pain. We either, rip it out with a pair of vice grips on a slide hammer or if the rack is bad we just grind the lower edge of the rack adjusting nut off to clear the diff.

Grinding the rack let's you keep the driveshaft clip in the diff and just slide it foward enough.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
If you have to pull the rack the diff has to come out. Which means the stupid driveshaft clip has to come out. Then you have to take the front shaft loop.

We've gotten around removing the floor to get the shaft loop out. But the clip in the diff is a pain. We either, rip it out with a pair of vice grips on a slide hammer or if the rack is bad we just grind the lower edge of the rack adjusting nut off to clear the diff.

Grinding the rack let's you keep the driveshaft clip in the diff and just slide it foward enough.

does the rack have to come out to replace the bushings?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
does the rack have to come out to replace the bushings?
If past experience (and by the looks of the exploded view from the service manual) are any indication, I think you will find that the bushings are split/collapsible and held in my a outer "lip" of some sort. That means the rack needs to come out of the housing and that will require a complete steering gear breakdown. So yes, I would say an entire steering gear box removal is necessary...

[1] End Bushing...

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wish Honda would have put a grease fitting or two on the rack when they designed it. That lubed for life upon assembly crap doesn't work in the environments we ride in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!