Intermittent Loss of Power Steering

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2021 Talon R model running 30" Terrabites and was having intermittent loss of power steering. Over time it got really bad to the point of a major safety concern. It would loose power mid way when steering. Read a bunch of posts here and other places and decided to get the Super ATV power steering kit. Initially I was very impressed with the ease of steering. In fact it may be too easy as it is a bit vague on center. The other weekend we were at Hatfield McCoy running hard for long periods of time and I noticed that this new unit was also looing power sometimes, although at a much less degree than the stock unit. When we would stop for a while, I also noticed that it would be fine for a while then act up again.

This got me to thinking about how I've heard that guys racing these machines often put fans on the power steering unit to cool them. Then I thought about the rubber splash guard kit I bought with the full width curtain for under the hood. The Honda stock curtain only covers the drivers side and leaves the passenger side open. This stock curtain will allow much more air flow to the electric motor on the power steering unit. So, I took the full width curtain off for the last day at Hatfield McCoy and guess what, no more issues with power steering loss.

So, I will but putting the stock half curtain back on and see how that works out.

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a 2021 Talon R model running 30" Terrabites and was having intermittent loss of power steering. Over time it got really bad to the point of a major safety concern. It would loose power mid way when steering. Read a bunch of posts here and other places and decided to get the Super ATV power steering kit. Initially I was very impressed with the ease of steering. In fact it may be too easy as it is a bit vague on center. The other weekend we were at Hatfield McCoy running hard to long periods of time and I noticed that this new unit was also looing power sometimes, although at a much less degree than the stock unit. When we would stop of a while, I also noticed that it would be fine for a while then act up again.

This got me to thinking about how I've heard that guys racing these machines often put fans on the power steering unit to cool them. Then I thought about the rubber splash guard kit I bought with the full width curtain for under the hood. The Honda stock curtain only covers the drivers side and leaves the passenger side open. This stock curtain will allow much more air flow to the electric motor on the power steering unit. So, I took the full width curtain off for the last day at Hatfield McCoy and guess what, no more issues with power steering loss.

So, I will but putting the stock half curtain back on and see how that works out.

Just though I'd share.
Interesting observation (and I'm not arguing with it). And disappointing to hear. The potential problem is what that open firewall is exposing, the wiring behind the dash. Although more complicated, I think a fan is a better long-term solution (says the guy with no PS problems ... yet).

I don't want this area full of 'everything'. :oops:
I xm7w6rt X2

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 2021 Talon R model running 30" Terrabites and was having intermittent loss of power steering. Over time it got really bad to the point of a major safety concern. It would loose power mid way when steering. Read a bunch of posts here and other places and decided to get the Super ATV power steering kit. Initially I was very impressed with the ease of steering. In fact it may be too easy as it is a bit vague on center. The other weekend we were at Hatfield McCoy running hard to long periods of time and I noticed that this new unit was also looing power sometimes, although at a much less degree than the stock unit. When we would stop of a while, I also noticed that it would be fine for a while then act up again.

Just though I'd share.
Not heard this before with the new SATV PS upgrade. I have it and have it pretty will covered up as well and have run the piss out of it and been tried and true.
I wonder if u have something internally in the motor that is bad causing it to go to internal overload? Working with electric motors, Ive seen them in very warm environments work great. Only take a $hit and go to a thermal overload scenario when there is something compromised internally. Cool them down, they run better bit eventually fail. I wonder if @SuperATV can help you out? Might get a replacement possibly.
Or have some insight to this.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Not heard this before with the new SATV PS upgrade. I have it and have it pretty will covered up as well and have run the piss out of it and been tried and true.
I wonder if u have something internally in the motor that is bad causing it to go to internal overload? Working with electric motors, Ive seen them in very warm environments work great. Only take a $hit and go to a thermal overload scenario when there is something compromised internally. Cool them down, they run better bit eventually fail. I wonder if @SuperATV can help you out? Might get a replacement possibly.
Or have some insight to this.
Good points.

The only other thing I can add is that it was almost 80 degrees at Hatfield McCoy every day and thinking back with the stock unit, during winter I didn't notice much of an issue. Summer came and it was terrible. The rides before Hatfield McCoy with the SATV unit were short and slow, so the issue didn't show up then.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good points.

The only other thing I can add is that it was almost 80 degrees at Hatfield McCoy every day and thinking back with the stock unit, during winter I didn't notice much of an issue. Summer came and it was terrible. The rides before Hatfield McCoy with the SATV unit were short and slow, so the issue didn't show up then.
Yup Sounds like an internal thermal overload issue to me.
Most motors like compressors have a thermal temp switch when it gets to temp it trips and cuts voltage in the circuit cutting power

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also to add. When I say intermittent, it is only for a second or two. Then power returns. I have experienced electrical motor overheating before, but they loose power completely until they cool. I do believe this is heat related, but wanted to provide more details of how it is loosing power.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
30's make it worse especially on pavement. Try running the tires at 20 psi. I run my tires at 15 psi with my stock power steering. Both of my Talons will lose power steering around halfway in a turn for a moment then it returns. My steering rack was replaced at around 25,000 miles on my 2019 Talon.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
30's make it worse especially on pavement. Try running the tires at 20 psi. I run my tires at 15 psi with my stock power steering. Both of my Talons will lose power steering around halfway in a turn for a moment then it returns. My steering rack was replaced at around 25,000 miles on my 2019 Talon.
Not sure I would have any fillings left in my teeth if I ran my tires that full. 😁 Normally run about 9 psi. However, what you describe is exactly how my stock unit felt. The SATV looses power just off center for a slight bit, then comes back for the rest of the turn. Hopefully the half curtain will be the fix. I won't be able to ride for a while as hunting season is back in. So I will likely not know the result until spring.

Reactions: Remington
H

HondaTech

Interesting observation (and I'm not arguing with it). And disappointing to hear. The potential problem is what that open firewall is exposing, the wiring behind the dash. Although more complicated, I think a fan is a better long-term solution (says the guy with no PS problems ... yet).

I don't want this area full of 'everything'. :oops:
View attachment 405619

Our race car has been through worse hell than 99% of the members cars on here ever will be and we don't run anything there.
20200302 131432
Screenshot 20210425 214231 Chrome

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I say intermittent, it is only for a second or two. Then power returns.
Sounds like internal contractor like mechanism thats loosing connection. Either from itself’s magnetic field or the potted control module. Elect motors get power directly from a source and will not intermittently cut out unless the control/source of power itself cuts out. Some DC motors i work with have an attached power module that has circuitry that can fail to cause these symptoms. If the cutting in and out (NoMo) occurs enough times the motor will over heat and cause a thermal lock out condition.
I think something is compromised in the the SATV PS system like the Potted control module IMO

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
I think you may have a weak battery. Either that or a bad connection in the wiring. Most likely a weak battery. That's the most common issue when I do see someone having PS issues. The motor requires a minimum of 12.8 volts, and if it ever drops below that 12.8v it will shut down. Its kind of a built in safety mechanism designed to shut of and stop sucking amps so you can make it back out of the woods just in case your battery is dying. Better to get out with no power steering than to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Check all the connections first just in case, but 99% of the time its the battery.

Cobweb

Cobweb

Mar 2, 2019
Hexi Hollow
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think you may have a weak battery. Either that or a bad connection in the wiring. Most likely a weak battery. That's the most common issue when I do see someone having PS issues. The motor requires a minimum of 12.8 volts, and if it ever drops below that 12.8v it will shut down. Its kind of a built in safety mechanism designed to shut of and stop sucking amps so you can make it back out of the woods just in case your battery is dying. Better to get out with no power steering than to be stuck in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery. Check all the connections first just in case, but 99% of the time its the battery.
Thanks for the suggestions. Battery is good. 14.4 v running, 12.5 motor off. I will check connections for sure.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!