Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I made mine from a piece of aluminum the local scrap guy/crack head had for 40 bucks. Its somewhere between 3/8" and 1/2" thick. I just used the factory skid as a template. Once i covered the main section i used 3/16" diamond plate to cover the floor and other areas. It definitely doesn't slide as well as plastic but its so over built that i have 0 fears of puncture.

20190428 202353

Heinecke2

Heinecke2

Nov 15, 2020
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@bumperm
Agree UHMW is much stronger. Don't agree if your argument is HDPE isn't strong enough.

I am not in a rocky country but we do have some rocks on the trail. I've been hung up on rocks/logs and taken a few decent hits from below. I pulled the skid recently to change oil it didn't have noticeable gouges or other damage. Probably a thread on this material selection discussion somewhere I assume..?

I'm sure there are cases where UHMW is needed but how/where I ride it seems HDPE is going to be good enough and much less expensive.

The first part of your response reminded me of GM's attack ads when Ford released the aluminum body on F150. 😅

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"Strong enough" is a relative term and depends on "for what?". If comparing the relative strength of 6061 aluminum to HDPE, the plastic would need to be 2-1/2 times thicker than the aluminum to offer the same strength. This is from a site discussing boat hull strength:

Hull material

That said, I don't ever plan to slide over rocks, or head out to sea in my sxs, so either material would be fine (my SE came with an aluminum skid plate that I don't think I'll be changing). However, if starting from the get-go on a DIY project to make a skid plate, at least in terms of strength (impact, penetration, resistance to abrasion etc.), and if money wasn't too much of an object for the materials being considered, it would be UHMW, aluminum plate, and HDPE in that order. The differences in the relative strength between those materials is a whole bunch!

6061 vs. HDPE

The stock aluminum Honda skid plate is fine, offering reasonable protection, though not for sliding over rocks regular like. UHMW is a whole lot better, stronger in every respect, and much more slippery. Of the materials known to man, UHMW is by far the best suited for this purpose.

aleaddict

aleaddict

Lifetime Member
Jan 17, 2021
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed a SSSoffroad 3/8” UHMW skid on my 1000. It comes in 5 overlapping pieces and you’ll need to drill and tap another 14 holes. I don’t see the 700 listed on their website but it’s worth a call.