P500 Stock rims?

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
So after some thought, I'm thinking keeping the stock wheels and just adding bigger tires. My kid made a good point. Why invest in wheels that we are going to beat on?
Don't know who's kid he is but it makes sense.
So what to buy?
Anyone who has done the same with great results give me your opinion.
Thanks

Reactions: Geoff
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
And I'm also concerned that bigger, as in height , may make it more unstable.
Any thought?

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
As low geared as the P500 is, I'm not sure that it matters so much. I went bigger, with 14" aluminum rims, & cannot see a noticeable power loss. Larger tires also improved steering, as well as giving more ground clearance. I, too, was worried about stability, and ordered wheel spacers to widen my stance if it felt "tippy". I have since put over 200 miles of steep, twisty, loose gravel trails on it, and have sent the unused spacers back to the seller. As for accelerated brake wear, it's a small price to pay for the added benefits gained by installing larger, more durable, and more aggressive tires. Everything has a price.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Im running 26's and have right at 12"s of ground clearance so the larger tires really works well for me. As for power I can't say I really notice any difference with the bigger tires, I do like the fact I can clear things I used to drag on.

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Oh, as for brakes, I really don't think there will be much difference. With the gearing as it is I rarely use my brakes even here in the hills of WV.

Reactions: p500fan
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I can relate, Code54. I hardly use the brakes when riding. The compression/engine braking is one of the major selling points of these machines. The parking brake is used much more than the brake pedal. Ha!

G

Geoff

Apr 25, 2015
Falling Rock,W.V.
So after some thought, I'm thinking keeping the stock wheels and just adding bigger tires. My kid made a good point. Why invest in wheels that we are going to beat on?
Don't know who's kid he is but it makes sense.
So what to buy?
Anyone who has done the same with great results give me your opinion.
Thanks
I just installed ITP Terracross tires on my stock rims to try and keep it as close to 50" wide. The front are 26x9x12 and the rears are 26x11x12. Took them on a short 23 mile ride today...had to drop to air pressure to 10 lbs in all tires to make the ride a little smoother....so far so good......

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I just installed ITP Terracross tires on my stock rims to try and keep it as close to 50" wide. The front are 26x9x12 and the rears are 26x11x12. Took them on a short 23 mile ride today...had to drop to air pressure to 10 lbs in all tires to make the ride a little smoother....so far so good......
How much wider are you now?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm looking at 26" x 9" 12" Roctane XD's on all four corners of my P500 mounted on stock rims.

Reactions: p500fan
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!