P500 Wider Tires on Stock Rims OK?

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I have another active thread ongoing about trying to smooth the ride of my P500. The price of shocks shocked me! So, I think the suggestion of getting larger tires is where I may head. A few questions for you experts...

From my research around here, looks like BigHorn 2.0 is good for me. I'd go with 26"x9" front and 26"x11" rear. Is it OK to run the wider tires on the stock rims? I'll run lower tire pressure, so I'd hate to break the bead/seal. Very rocky, rough trails.

I understand I'll also need 1" spacers to make it less tippy with the taller tires. Given these are $225 for a set, it makes more sense for me to just buy new steel wheels to mount the new tires on (don't need no fancy bling). Would it make sense to get wider wheels for the wider tires? What offset would I need to match the same effect as the 1" spacers?

12"x7" Rim Front? 4+3? Inch wider than stock, and inch further out offset?
12"x8.5" Rim Back? 4+3? Inch wider than stock, and inch further out offset?
Just guessing here. This stuff is confusing!

Thanks for your great input!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
From my research around here, looks like BigHorn 2.0 is good for me. I'd go with 26"x9" front and 26"x11" rear. Is it OK to run the wider tires on the stock rims? I'll run lower tire pressure, so I'd hate to break the bead/seal. Very rocky, rough trails.
Prob will, pop the beads that is.

That said, with bead locks , tires and spacers you gotta nice down payment for a nice ride with some aftermarket shocks. Bite the bullet and get the shocks and slowly build the tire set up around them. I know it's harsh, but this is about stock shocks, you can only put lipstick on a pig for so long

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, thanks for the link...for real. Everyone only said RB3, but I hadn't looked anywhere else. I'll get those if I go w/spacers. If I were to skip the spacers and go new steelies, got any recommendations?

I know you are saying shocks Rem. but I think tires have some extra benefits. I actually wouldn't mind the taller gearing, and taking preload down to lowest, plus losing 1 PSI at each corner seemed to help a bit. Add in taller tires to soak up some more bumps, and it might get what I need...

Reactions: Smitty335
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
I have another active thread ongoing about trying to smooth the ride of my P500. The price of shocks shocked me! So, I think the suggestion of getting larger tires is where I may head. A few questions for you experts...

I understand I'll also need 1" spacers to make it less tippy with the taller tires. Given these are $225 for a set, it makes more sense for me to just buy new steel wheels to mount the new tires on (don't need no fancy bling). Would it make sense to get wider wheels for the wider tires? What offset would I need to match the same effect as the 1" spacers?

12"x7" Rim Front? 4+3? Inch wider than stock, and inch further out offset?
12"x8.5" Rim Back? 4+3? Inch wider than stock, and inch further out offset?
Just guessing here. This stuff is confusing!

Thanks for your great input!
I have 27 11 12 and 27 9 12 Terabites on stock wheels with 1.5 spacers and they are a great combo BUT tires are not going to change the ride much . Got the spacers from SATV for 120.00 for all 4 .

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I run 27s on mine on steelies (can't think of the brand at the moment) with 4+3 offset. 9" wide on front, 11" on back. Many guys run 5+2 offset.
Looks better and acts better, but it introduced more mud into the equation.
That led to spending money with Mudbusters . . .

S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Price some Stage 1 Elkas. Cheapest of the quality shock choices. It hurts the wallet but the ride quality improvement is worth it and that wallet ain’t savin your rear in the rough stuff. Stock rims can handle 9’s or 10’s up front and 11 or 12’s out back. I run 28x10’s on four front rims to keep beads happy but I can ruin an anvil.......

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, thanks for the link...for real. Everyone only said RB3, but I hadn't looked anywhere else. I'll get those if I go w/spacers. If I were to skip the spacers and go new steelies, got any recommendations?

I know you are saying shocks Rem. but I think tires have some extra benefits. I actually wouldn't mind the taller gearing, and taking preload down to lowest, plus losing 1 PSI at each corner seemed to help a bit. Add in taller tires to soak up some more bumps, and it might get what I need...

Like Huck said, tires alone aren't going to make a huge difference. I've done about everything you can do to make the ride more comfortable. Arched A arms, 28's on 12's and aired way down, WE's on all four corners, removed the sway bar, spread the stance... it's made a huge difference but it's still nowhere near plush.
In the OP you voiced concerns about breaking the bank. My suggestion would be to keep the stock wheels. Go with 26 or 27 tires that have a round profile and softer sidewall, like 2.0's and air them down to about 8 psi. Get some spacers and adjust your preloads to the softest setting without bottoming out constantly. That's about all you're going to get without digging deeper into your wallet. Keep in mind, the high dollar shocks make the biggest difference at higher speeds, not so much for slow rock crawling.

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks again everyone. Really apricate the back and forth; all good suggestions.

I should clarify what I'm looking for. Not such much a plush ride (not that old!), but just something that isn't so jarring. A moderate improvement would be nice. We use the machine mostly for work and slower rides through the woods. Occasional spin down our gravel lane.
Trigger - doing pretty much what you suggest. Softest preload = done. Swaybar = done. Low pressure BH 2.0's = probably doing.

I'd kind of like to go new rims vs spacers. Would be nice to have a spare rim/tire set vs just tires. Plus, would like the wider rim to ensure no bead issues and get a the offset I need that way. What are your thoughts?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
A moderate improvement would be nice.
= Shocks

Wider rims with low pressure? Will help a little. Bead locks are best for lower pressure. What about verification on those bighorn prices? Link would be great. That's like well used prices.

Last edited:
L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
What does socks mean?

Here is link. Seem legit?

Reactions: Remington
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
You'll want 5+2 offsets on the aftermarket wheels. That keeps you about as narrow as possible and still maintain stability going with the taller tires. If you plan to go with the same size tire on all four corners (for rotation and spare possibilities) then you'll need 1" spacers on the rear for an even track width. Going with 11's on all four will give you a little more cushion and grip for the rocks. Makes it a little more floaty when turning though. All of this stuff comes down to personal preference, set it up for your needs.

Reactions: futzin
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What does socks mean?

Here is link. Seem legit?
I suspect it was a typo/autocorrect for “shocks”.

L

lukebuz

Jun 22, 2020
Bowling Green, KY
Ownership

1. 500
Well, they gave me 10% off coupon to complete my tire purchase. Got the 26" BH 2.0 coming for $610 after tax, free shipping. Seems fair price! 26x9 and 26x11.

Now, just need wheels. Same as before, looking for value. Would like to go steelies, but there are no 12" rims at 8" for some reason?!? What would y'all recommend? Would like to capture offset without spacers, if possible...

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I seem to remember having to tell the e-tailer's website to search for wheels for a Rhino (I think) to get the right lug spacing.
Also, I think I used the search function here to find the actual model number for the wheels needed (posted by another member/s).

@KYgal83, can you help?

Reactions: hallic and KyGal83
KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
I seem to remember having to tell the e-tailer's website to search for wheels for a Rhino (I think) to get the right lug spacing.
Also, I think I used the search function here to find the actual model number for the wheels needed (posted by another member/s).

@KYgal83, can you help?
@lukebuz

I did 27 inch Big Horn 2.0's with the 5+2 off set Delta steelies and no spacers. Ordered mine from Dennis Kirk.

(here is the link to the exact ones) ITP Black Large Bell Delta Steel Wheel - 1225553014 - Dennis Kirk

On the Big Horns I did 27x9x12 front and 27x11x12 on the rears. My only disappoint with the tires are they do not measure 27... they measure about 25.5. Had I known that I would have went with 28s. Other wise I have very happy with the set up...
Tires

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Well, they gave me 10% off coupon to complete my tire purchase. Got the 26" BH 2.0 coming for $610 after tax, free shipping. Seems fair price! 26x9 and 26x11.

Now, just need wheels. Same as before, looking for value. Would like to go steelies, but there are no 12" rims at 8" for some reason?!? What would y'all recommend? Would like to capture offset without spacers, if possible...

You're looking for 7" wheels, not 8's.

Reactions: hallic and KyGal83

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!