Street Legal in California

C

Cali4nia

May 9, 2014
I own a cabin that backs up to hundreds of miles of forestry roads I would like to be able to Drive my Pioneer 400 -4 on those roads . There are some sections that are open to UTV and some sections that are not . all sections are open to licensed vehicles . if i can discover a way to make my pioneer street legal i would like to enjoy .

Im seeing alot of posts about Az, Montana and other states , when it comes to California the laws and rules are very alusive and im sure this is by design . California has some of the most persistant people when it comes time to navigating californias laws and being that this is the internet and a honda forum i figure what would it hurt to ask .

1) Is it possible to make a Honda Pioneer 700 -4 street leagal ?
2) no offense to the Pioneers in other states but you telling me what is allowed in your state does not help it just makes me jelouse

2014 - Pioneer 700 -4 ( Green )

C

Cali4nia

May 9, 2014
From DMV > "To be eligible for on-highway registration, 1978 year model and newer off-highway vehicles with an engine size of 50 cubic centimeters (cc) or larger must have an emission label affixed to the vehicle indicating certification by the manufacturer for on-highway use"

i will see what my pioneer has listed

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello, welcome to the community. I have spent a bit of time looking into this for you. Seems the few people who "thought" they successfully received street legal status had it pulled from them. Or were stopped and had it revoked.

I can only find if it is a piece of "farm equipment" you are allowed. Same here in NC. It works around the house/farm. But when traveling longer distance it my be hard to explain.

C

Cali4nia

May 9, 2014
thank you HondaSXS :

I looked up the "Farm Vehicle Plate / IMplements of husbandtry " it looks like you could only go about a mile on the road . I dont think being on the forestry land counts LOL . There was a guy who posted on another forum that made Bumpercars street legal and stated to read the DMV Requirement to make a vehicle street legal . As soon as i see a Sheriff i going to pull him over "routine stop :eek: " and ask him/her . just kidding i will find one and ask

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I don't think it is that easy. I find it hard to be-leave the "Republic of California" allowed a bumpercar to get street legalized and we are finding it so hard to find a answer about a SxS. But. maybe. who knows. I read that it is "all in the paperwork" and how NEW the DMV person is that stamps it approved.
be nice to find a loop hole. Maybe that guy did.

Reactions: HondaOrange
C

Cali4nia

May 9, 2014
this is all going to come down to a Emissions label attached is a doc from CA dmv with the requirements

Attachments

• ch15_off_highway_vehicles_122009ver.pdf
    179.3 KB · Views: 431
C

Cali4nia

May 9, 2014
ok i found the sticker its located on the front frame , passanger side . behind the Radiator reservoir. you have to look from the bottom up this will now become a game of interpretation
Page 15-10 section 15.070 line 7 states "1978 or newer year model with emision lable indicating Off road or Off Highway ONLY "

the lable does not say OFF road ONLY anyware

Itsalljake

Itsalljake

Lifetime Member
Jan 27, 2016
Los Angeles
ok i found the sticker its located on the front frame , passanger side . behind the Radiator reservoir. you have to look from the bottom up this will now become a game of interpretation
Page 15-10 section 15.070 line 7 states "1978 or newer year model with emision lable indicating Off road or Off Highway ONLY "

the lable does not say OFF road ONLY anyware
Any luck?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!