P700 Shifter not engaging N, R, P

S

Spinspun

Oct 24, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey everyone, new to the forum.
I have a 2022 700-4 (non-deluxe) and when use the shifter lever, to reverse, neutral, or drive, it does not always engage. For example, I am in reverse, I use the lever to put it into drive, it does not go into drive, nor does the dash indicator show drive. What is strange, when the Honda engine off, it works 80% of the time the shifter will engage the right gear, that is how I got it home from the ride.
It has ~150 miles on it, oil/filter has been changed at 100 and it is not ridden hard, around the back yard and some off roading. Before I start adjusting the shifter cable and such, wanted to get input from the group.

Thanks everyone in advance

Reactions: Smitty335
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
New member? Time to post pics of your buggy and a "Hello" message.

Shifting issues, you've already stated where I would start:

>> Before I start adjusting the shifter cable and such, wanted to get input from the group.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 2022 700-4 (non-deluxe)
Welcome from Michigan!

First thing is pics of the rig when u first post then we proceed to fixes. Its Rule #4 Pics Or It Didnt Happen!
Also need mileage, mods and such.

Sounds like your rear diff is out of adjustment. I know it makes a difference in the P1’s as to what your describing.
Tip: always use the search up top to find out if your problem has been discussed and answered. Chances are it has. If that fails, then ask the group. But if u figure it out since u started the thread, come back and tell us. It will help others like you when they come to search. Good luck

S

Spinspun

Oct 24, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Where exactly is the "park" position?
Yeah, Park :). Sorry what i meant by Park is really Neutral. So to be clear Reverse (R), Neutral (N), and Drive (D). I purchased cable lubricant and will adjust the shifter cable. Thanks everyone for the help!

Just posted in the welcome forum...thanks for the reminder!!

Cliffy60

Cliffy60

Dec 8, 2020
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hey everyone, new to the forum.
I have a 2022 700-4 (non-deluxe) and when use the shifter lever, to reverse, neutral, or drive, it does not always engage. For example, I am in reverse, I use the lever to put it into drive, it does not go into drive, nor does the dash indicator show drive. What is strange, when the Honda engine off, it works 80% of the time the shifter will engage the right gear, that is how I got it home from the ride.
It has ~150 miles on it, oil/filter has been changed at 100 and it is not ridden hard, around the back yard and some off roading. Before I start adjusting the shifter cable and such, wanted to get input from the group.

Thanks everyone in advance
That happened to my 2021 700-2 also. Shift cable was loose from the bracket under the hood. Very low miles at the time.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sometimes when the engine is cool the shift is a little stiff. Start the engine and wait till you show some temp on the gauge, then shift and ride. Other than that, the shift cable and linkage would be the next route i would take.

Reactions: Spinspun

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!