Street Legal Kit for the Talon

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm soliciting opinions on the best street legal kit for the Talon. Is there a good kit available that includes a stalk-type turn signal switch that would mount to the steering column, rather than the usual two-position slider switch?

What have you used?

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Ryco 3107 kit is almost plug and play. It has 5 wire taps (one at the brake light switch, 2 under the air filter cover so you can use the existing brake lights as turn signals and 2 at the tail light for the license plate light). It is Talon specific and the quality and instructions are top notch. It has an auto cancelling electronic flasher (n case you leave a turn signal on too long) and dash indicator LED lights. It also has DRL's and Flashing Brake Lights (both can be disabled).

Don't know if we are allowed but here is a link to one...

Ryco UTV Turn Signal/Horn Kit

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
The Ryco 3107 kit is almost plug and play. It has 5 wire taps (one at the brake light switch, 2 under the air filter cover so you can use the existing brake lights as turn signals and 2 at the tail light for the license plate light). It is Talon specific and the quality and instructions are top notch. It has an auto cancelling electronic flasher (n case you leave a turn signal on too long) and dash indicator LED lights. It also has DRL's and Flashing Brake Lights (both can be disabled).

That looks great! A bit spendy, perhaps, but more like what I was looking for. Appreciate the heads up, PaulF.

Steve

D

Dwight

Oct 25, 2015
Kansas
I've used the Ryco kits on the last 2 rzr's I've owned. Spendy yes, but I really like them. Wish I had the auto cancellation!

Dwight

Reactions: stellarpod
viceversa

viceversa

Jun 5, 2019
Flagstaff, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
That Ryco kit looks nice! anyone have it installed? curious about turn signal stalk mounting position and any issues with paddle the shifters.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
That Ryco kit looks nice! anyone have it installed? curious about turn signal stalk mounting position and any issues with paddle the shifters.

I agree, viceversa. I'd like to see the mounting instructions or a video specific to the Talon, as I'm concerned about how the stalk mounts to the column. The Ryco kit looks to be the front runner at this point. Maybe I'll give them a call and chat about it.

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have installed it. The Stalk mounts to the bolt where the tilt piston is mounted (bolt replaced with a longer supplied bolt and spacer). I was concerned when I first looked at it but it is solid!

A word of caution! If you are tall and have long legs like me (6' 4" with 36" inseam), your knee may interfere with the turn switch. It took me a few drives to get used to it and make minor adjustments to the wheel tilt and my leg position. Now I hardly notice it but I may still fabricate another mount and move it higher. Or I may fabricate some seat spacers and move my seats up and back a little so I can straighten my legs a little. Or perhaps I may do both :)

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have installed it. The Stalk mounts to the bolt where the tilt piston is mounted (bolt replaced with a longer supplied bolt and spacer). I was concerned when I first looked at it but it is solid!

A word of caution! If you are tall and have long legs like me (6' 4" with 36" inseam), your knee may interfere with the turn switch. It took me a few drives to get used to it and make minor adjustments to the wheel tilt and my leg position. Now I hardly notice it but I may still fabricate another mount and move it higher. Or I may fabricate some seat spacers and move my seats up and back a little so I can straighten my legs a little. Or perhaps I may do both :)

Really good info, PaulF, especially since I am indeed 6'4", albeit with a 34" inseam. I wondered about that very issue, so your post is quite timely. I just got off the phone with the folks at Ryco and they're sending me a PDF of the installation instructions. But, the info you've supplied I suspect will not be covered. ;)

Thanks again!

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Really good info, PaulF, especially since I am indeed 6'4", albeit with a 34" inseam. I wondered about that very issue, so your post is quite timely. I just got off the phone with the folks at Ryco and they're sending me a PDF of the installation instructions. But, the info you've supplied I suspect will not be covered. ;)

Thanks again!

Steve

That 2" difference in leg length is actually quite dramatic. I hear about 6' 4" people that do not have leg room issues and I always have them. I assumed that anyone my height would suffer like I do but that is just not true. Your inseam is closer to someone that is 6' 0" to 6' 2" so your torso must be long like someone that is more like 6' 6" to 6' 8" tall so you probably have some headroom issues and I don't.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
That 2" difference in leg length is actually quite dramatic. I hear about 6' 4" people that do not have leg room issues and I always have them. I assumed that anyone my height would suffer like I do but that is just not true. Your inseam is closer to someone that is 6' 0" to 6' 2" so your torso must be long like someone that is more like 6' 6" to 6' 8" tall so you probably have some headroom issues and I don't.

Actually, my height is more in my torso, but I don't have any headroom issues in the Talon.

QUESTION: Did you mount all three turn signal LED's in the front as per their template? I think it might be good to mount one of them on the side so that it would be visible from the side - especially as I have the Honda optional bumper mounted in the front which could obstruct viewing the LED.

Finally, since their installation instruction photos are not all Talon-specific, would it be possible for you to post a few pics of the switch stalk as mounted, the location of the panel indicator LED's, and perhaps the front signal LED's as mounted? That would be most useful.

Thanks again for your input, as it is much appreciated.

Steve

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My Talon is in for 100 mile service and I won't have it back till next week so no pics available right now.
  • I mounted all 3 turn signals up front (I just have the stock bumper) but the wiring is long enough and there is some separation between the LEDs to provide some flexibility on mounting location. There is enough wire where the LED's separate that you could probably mount the LEDs 6 to 8 inches between each one of them if you wanted.
  • You can mount the inside indicators just about anywhere you like, there is plenty of wire. I had a kit on my previous SXS and mounted the turn indicators in the dash in between the steering wheel spokes. Driving a SXS you tend not to look there so many times I never saw them flashing and I was a blinker geek for miles. On my R, I decided to mount them in the center for 3 reasons.
  1. There is really not a very good place on the dash in the steering wheel area.
  2. I glance at the electronic display a lot so a blinking green light would most likely catch my attention there more often.
  3. My passenger can see them and alert me too if I leave a blinker on.
Here is a generic pic of a Talon dash pointing out what I did.
Upload 2019 7 3 12 31 14

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
My Talon is in for 100 mile service and I won't have it back till next week so no pics available right now.
  • I mounted all 3 turn signals up front (I just have the stock bumper) but the wiring is long enough and there is some separation between the LEDs to provide some flexibility on mounting location. There is enough wire where the LED's separate that you could probably mount the LEDs 6 to 8 inches between each one of them if you wanted.
  • You can mount the inside indicators just about anywhere you like, there is plenty of wire. I had a kit on my previous SXS and mounted the turn indicators in the dash in between the steering wheel spokes. Driving a SXS you tend not to look there so many times I never saw them flashing and I was a blinker geek for miles. On my R, I decided to mount them in the center for 3 reasons.
  1. There is really not a very good place on the dash in the steering wheel area.
  2. I glance at the electronic display a lot so a blinking green light would most likely catch my attention there more often.
  3. My passenger can see them and alert me too if I leave a blinker on.
Here is a generic pic of a Talon dash pointing out what I did.
View attachment 139536

Thanks, PaulF. I hadn't considered your logic on mounting location for the interior indicators, but it makes a lot of sense. I'll probably do likewise. And, because I've already got the accessory switch panel covering that cubby hole in the dash, I'll likely just mount them on each side of the panel.

I'll probably mount one of the three exterior LED's (per side) on the side, unless you think it needs all three up front in order to present a bright enough signal.

I just recently did my 100-mile service on my 1000X (did it myself, as I'm just too cheap to pay Honda to do it). We've got about 150 miles on ours now and we've been overall very pleased.

WHEN you get yours back, if you could snap a quick shot of the mounted stalk and post it here I'd very much appreciate it.

You've been a wealth of information, sir. Thanks again.

Steve

Reactions: Dwight
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Steve,
Here are a couple pics. Not very clear but you should get the idea...

20190710 184913
20190710 184917

tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X

Help!!!!!
Can anyone explain where the tail light harness is located? I'm installing the Ryco kit and the picture is not explaining it or I'm just frustrated. Any pictures or more details would greatly be appreciated. I'm on the bottom side of having it done and don't want to make a mistake.

tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Aug 6, 2017
North Platte, Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
Help!!!!!
Can anyone explain where the tail light harness is located? I'm installing the Ryco kit and the picture is not explaining it or I'm just frustrated. Any pictures or more details would greatly be appreciated. I'm on the bottom side of having it done and don't want to make a mistake.

Lost is found time to call it a day. Finished the install totally impressed with the Ryco kit,
as mentioned plug and play

Last edited:
B

bionicman

Oct 19, 2019
seattle
Ownership

1. Talon X
Anyone have issues with Ryco kit causing passenger tail light only to be inoperative??

fustrated

Reactions: Trlrdr6
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

I assume you’re drilling holes for the front LED turn signals?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, you have to somewhere in the location of your choosing. I originally put mine in the dash just below the first cubby hole but now chosen to move them to install the radio. I have decided to relocate the instrument panel in front of the steering wheel (like I think it should have been from the factory) and this is my new location for my turn indicators. This mod is not for the faint of heart, there are some delicate electronics in there....

Upload 2019 12 10 9 59 6

But on a side note, that module appears to be pretty waterproof. There is an o-ring where it splits apart (it is not glued together like I thought it would be) and a boot on the wire harness.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!