Street tires/wheels DOT compliant

T

T-4

Dec 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
With these 5+2 wheels, I will likely grow to about 66". I am using 1.5" spacers in the back to "align" the front and rear tires. I'm hoping to gain about 1 1/4" in height of tires over stock and about 5/8" clearance. But like I said, I won't have my new Talon to put them on for another few weeks, likely. We are missing one accessory which is holding up all the installations because it involves wiring. When I get the car and get the tires on I will repost here or start a new thread..
Just FYI I ran 14# rear and 12.5# front on my 900-4 RZR. I suspect I will be right in that same range again.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
1-1/2" spacers in the rear is what I've heard is necessary to maintain near factory vehicle width same sized wheels on all four corners. Thanks for the response.

Steve

Reactions: Remington
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
DOT Tensor Regulators are a very good bet….👍

Well, after doing some research and anguishing over the prices, I've made a decision and ordered a set of four, 30"x10R15 Tensor Regulator tires with STI HD9 15"x7" 4/137 6+1 wheels. Bought them from PlanetSxS. Oh, and I'll be running 1-1/2" spacers on the back. I may end up buying one more down the line to carry as a spare.

A sizable chunk of change for sure, but hopefully they'll be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation, Montecresto.

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here they are! Hope to mount them tomorrow. (Yeah, I do RC airplanes too...)

Steve
IMG 1940

smokebuzz

smokebuzz

Mar 5, 2020
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, after doing some research and anguishing over the prices, I've made a decision and ordered a set of four, 30"x10R15 Tensor Regulator tires with STI HD9 15"x7" 4/137 6+1 wheels. Bought them from PlanetSxS. Oh, and I'll be running 1-1/2" spacers on the back. I may end up buying one more down the line to carry as a spare.

A sizable chunk of change for sure, but hopefully they'll be exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the recommendation, Montecresto.

Steve
How much Lift do you have? Why 6+1. I want to stay with 15" wheels, but there isn't as many smaller diameter tires..

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
How much Lift do you have? Why 6+1. I want to stay with 15" wheels, but there isn't as many smaller diameter tires..
I'll speak out of turn until Stellarpod shows up. 6+1 maintains the Talon's steering geometry. 6+1 on all 4 corners gives you the ability to rotate your tires. The stock wheel offsets are different front / rear so you have to run 1-1/2" spacers on the rear to keep your track width close.

advertisement
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

CID is spot on. 6+1 retains as close to stock tracking/handling as you can get with these beadlock wheels. I added RB3 1-1/2" spacers to the back which kept my rear track very close to stock too, so I can use the same 6+1 wheels on all four corners.

Went out for a bit of a test ride on paved roads this evening and I can attest that the handling felt pretty much the same as stock. A little more clearance with the 30" vs. stock 28". But this tire wheel package is heavy, weighing in a 59.2 pounds. AND that doesn't include the weight of the spacers on the back. But the spacers that I purchased from one of our supporting vendors here (RB3) are a work of aluminum art, striking a proper balance of structural integrity while minimizing weight as much as possible. Color me VERY impressed with RB3!

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
For reference - my 30" x 10" x 15" BFG All-Terrain Radials weigh 55.6 front, 57.5 rear on STI HD9 6+1 front, 4+3 rears.

Bouncing your data against mine would support the conclusion that the Tensor Regulator 30" x 10" x 15" is 3.6 pounds heavier than the BFG A/T Radials.

Real-world results are always good to know. Thanks for the input, CID.

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Bouncing your data against mine would support the conclusion that the Tensor Regulator 30" x 10" x 15" is 3.6 pounds heavier than the BFG A/T Radials.

Real-world results are always good to know. Thanks for the input, CID.

Steve
👍

The Tensors are awesome tires with a 'stellar' reputation. My Chicane RX's in 30" lasted for 5700 miles (well, ok, 5699) and I really liked them but I'm hoping for better mileage. HondaBob got over 10k on his Terrabites but they don't play well with beadlocks or I'd be running them right now. Most of my riding is either desert (not much sand) or Rocky Mountain high country (rocks galore, not much mud). I'm curious how the TA's will do. My 'concern' is that BFG doesn't give a ply rating for this tire and since the stock Talon tires are known to be less than tough, I hope the TA's desert heritage = tough sidewalls. 🤔

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
👍

The Tensors are awesome tires with a 'stellar' reputation. My Chicane RX's in 30" lasted for 5700 miles (well, ok, 5699) and I really liked them but I'm hoping for better mileage. HondaBob got over 10k on his Terrabites but they don't play well with beadlocks or I'd be running them right now. Most of my riding is either desert (not much sand) or Rocky Mountain high country (rocks galore, not much mud). I'm curious how the TA's will do. My 'concern' is that BFG doesn't give a ply rating for this tire and since the stock Talon tires are known to be less than tough, I hope the TA's desert heritage = tough sidewalls. 🤔

I'm betting you won't be disappointed with the BFG's. My intent was to have a good mountain trail riding tire that was also robust enough to do some desert work (with tough sidewalls), while still exhibiting good manners on paved roads. Perhaps that's too much to ask in one package, but I hope the Tensors check all those boxes. Like you, I do very little mud riding (in fact none, if I can avoid it). Just too hard on the equipment in my opinion and too much trouble to clean after playing.

The trouble is that tires have gotten so ridiculously expensive that it's difficult for all but the wealthy (which I'm not) to switch tires on a whim. Just as I did on my motorcycles, if I found that I made a less than *stellar* choice, I just gutted it out until the tires were ready to replace. I don't expect this to be any different. BTW - this is my first experience with beadlocks.

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm betting you won't be disappointed with the BFG's. My intent was to have a good mountain trail riding tire that was also robust enough to do some desert work (with tough sidewalls), while still exhibiting good manners on paved roads. Perhaps that's too much to ask in one package, but I hope the Tensors check all those boxes. Like you, I do very little mud riding (in fact none, if I can avoid it). Just too hard on the equipment in my opinion and too much trouble to clean after playing.

The trouble is that tires have gotten so ridiculously expensive that it's difficult for all but the wealthy (which I'm not) to switch tires on a whim. Just as I did on my motorcycles, if I found that I made a less than *stellar* choice, I just gutted it out until the tires were ready to replace. I don't expect this to be any different. BTW - this is my first experience with beadlocks.

Steve
We aren't allowed on paved roads here, plating isn't allowed :confused: so 99% + of my miles are dirt. I don't think yer askin' too much in a tire and like you, I have to live with whatever decision I make, good or bad. I agree that mud destroys equipment and avoid it whenever possible (ick, ick, ick, ick).

I knew the Talon suspensions would never be described as plush so I knew I'd want to try lower tire pressures. I couldn't 'comfortably' do that without beadlocks, so here I am. BTW - this is my first experience with beadlocks AND SxSs. :) And on an unrelated point - I'm headed for Arizona this month, including Weller Racing for a shock revalve, I need a little more plush, potholes and rocks are beating me up.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
We aren't allowed on paved roads here, plating isn't allowed :confused: so 99% + of my miles are dirt. I don't think yer askin' too much in a tire and like you, I have to live with whatever decision I make, good or bad. I agree that mud destroys equipment and avoid it whenever possible (ick, ick, ick, ick).

I knew the Talon suspensions would never be described as plush so I knew I'd want to try lower tire pressures. I couldn't 'comfortably' do that without beadlocks, so here I am. BTW - this is my first experience with beadlocks AND SxSs. :) And on an unrelated point - I'm headed for Arizona this month, including Weller Racing for a shock revalve, I need a little more plush, potholes and rocks are beating me up.

Oklahoma just last year legalized street use for UTV's, so we're getting more use out of the Talon now and a bit more fun. My first sxs as well. It amazes me that Colorado and New Mexico are so resistant to UTV's. We try to ride in Red River every year. We intended to do the Silverton trip in 2020, but family illness (wife's mom) caused us to have to cancel. (I lost about $800 on my B&B on that one). And of course, now Silverton has banned riding on the streets there, I presume because of some inappropriate behavior by a few unruly yahoos that seem to be so conspicuous in this hobby.

We're planning to ride in the Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome area in October. I'm slowly getting the Talon ready for some desert riding between Sedona and Flagstaff too. I've got a Dirt Road Fabricators tailgate on order and have mounted both 2m/70cm ham radio and CB in the cab. Also hope to get another Tensor/STI HD9 before the trip for a spare and will need to find a mount for that above the cargo area. Otherwise, I'll just use one of the factory wheels and tires. I've got a FactoryUTV UHMW 1/2" skid plate and rocker plates that have been sitting in the barn for over a year now that needs to be mounted. Finally, I've got two Rotopax gas cans and will have a 2 gal. white Rotopax mounted on the new tailgate as well. Once I get all this done, I believe we'll be ready for that adventure. :)

BTW - Being that you're in SE Denver(ish), what areas of Colorado do you frequent? My grandfather homesteaded in Aztec, NM (that's where my dad grew up), just south of Durango across the border. I spent a good part of my youth kicking around the San Juans between Durango and Ouray.

Steve

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Oklahoma just last year legalized street use for UTV's, so we're getting more use out of the Talon now and a bit more fun. My first sxs as well. It amazes me that Colorado and New Mexico are so resistant to UTV's. We try to ride in Red River every year. We intended to do the Silverton trip in 2020, but family illness (wife's mom) caused us to have to cancel. (I lost about $800 on my B&B on that one). And of course, now Silverton has banned riding on the streets there, I presume because of some inappropriate behavior by a few unruly yahoos that seem to be so conspicuous in this hobby.

We're planning to ride in the Sedona/Cottonwood/Jerome area in October. I'm slowly getting the Talon ready for some desert riding between Sedona and Flagstaff too. I've got a Dirt Road Fabricators tailgate on order and have mounted both 2m/70cm ham radio AND CB in the cab. Also hope to get another Tensor/STI HD9 before the trip for a spare and will need to find a mount for that above the cargo area. Otherwise, I'll just use one of the factory wheels and tires. I've got a FactoryUTV UHMW 1/2" skid plate and rocker plates that have been sitting in the barn for over a year now that needs to be mounted. Finally, I've got two Rotopax gas cans and will have a 2 gal. white Rotopax mounted on the new tailgate as well. Once I get all this done, I believe we'll be ready for that adventure. :)

BTW - Being that you're in SE Denver(ish), what areas of Colorado do you frequent? My grandfather homesteaded in Aztec, NM (that's where my dad grew up), just south of Durango across the border. I spent a good part of my youth kicking around the San Juans between Durango and Ouray.

Steve
Kalirado hates SxSs. :confused: Sad that Silverton closed their doors to 'us' but some of 'us' are ill-mannered with loud exhausts, loud stereos and party well into the night. Moab is about fed up with some of 'us' too. :confused: I accidentally met Moab Marty between Hancock and Tomichi passes this summer and he recommended the Alpine Loop. Since I had time, away I went and had a great time. Lake City loves 'us'. 😍 I'm not sure if the entire Alpine Loop will be doable if we skirt Silverton, someone will know. I want to go back again this fall.

The desert is my favorite place in the universe, I can't get enough of it. I avoided mountain riding on the dirt bikes, not enough skill for the endless rocks, the Talon has opened all of that up to me. YAY!!! Since I gravitated to the desert on the bikes, I'm really not very versed in the Colorado riding yet. Unlike areas in Utah, Colorado riding is more scattered, few centralized hubs that I've found other than Lake City. Lots of day rides available but frequent moves if I want new trails/roads. Durango and Ouray were way out of my range before the RV and Talon but they're on my bucket list now.

Won't your DRF bed extender carry a spare? Are you wanting 2 spares (I have 2 by happenstance)? My over the cargo area mount is a Factory UTV if I remember right and it allows me to fully open my TSC storage box. I have a 3 gallon Rotopax on the inside of my DRF bed extender. I need some kind of communication that's more universal than my helmet radio if I'm going to be riding with others, communication adds so much to a ride.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Kalirado hates SxSs. :confused: Sad that Silverton closed their doors to 'us' but some of 'us' are ill-mannered with loud exhausts, loud stereos and party well into the night. Moab is about fed up with some of 'us' too. :confused: I accidentally met Moab Marty between Hancock and Tomichi passes this summer and he recommended the Alpine Loop. Since I had time, away I went and had a great time. Lake City loves 'us'. 😍 I'm not sure if the entire Alpine Loop will be doable if we skirt Silverton, someone will know. I want to go back again this fall.

The desert is my favorite place in the universe, I can't get enough of it. I avoided mountain riding on the dirt bikes, not enough skill for the endless rocks, the Talon has opened all of that up to me. YAY!!! Since I gravitated to the desert on the bikes, I'm really not very versed in the Colorado riding yet. Unlike areas in Utah, Colorado riding is more scattered, few centralized hubs that I've found other than Lake City. Lots of day rides available but frequent moves if I want new trails/roads. Durango and Ouray were way out of my range before the RV and Talon but they're on my bucket list now.

Won't your DRF bed extender carry a spare? Are you wanting 2 spares (I have 2 by happenstance)? My over the cargo area mount is a Factory UTV if I remember right and it allows me to fully open my TSC storage box. I have a 3 gallon Rotopax on the inside of my DRF bed extender. I need some kind of communication that's more universal than my helmet radio if I'm going to be riding with others, communication adds so much to a ride.

It's always the few, the loud, the peckerheads, that screw it up for everyone else. Stupid bungholes doing what stupid bungholes do.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!