Street tires/wheels DOT compliant

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have the high mount, strictly for angle of departure because I had no point of reference. @Lil_Steve got the low mount so he could actually see out the back. He has a great photo of me tryin' to keep up in the rear view mirror if he can find it. I don't have a rear view mirror because the over bed spare pretty much blocks that view completely. I don't know what the answer is.

Glad you found an option to use your bumper with the DRF and a receiver hitch. When DRF was able to point me to the Dragon Fire (with part number), I placed my order (no rear bumper though).

The large blob that looks like a huge rear view mirror is the over bed tire. And that's the DRF high spare.
View attachment 322794

Very helpful, CID. Thanks!

Steve

Reactions: Dankathy and CID
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another question that comes to mind is, IF I opt to include a spare carrier, should I mount it high (as yours is) or low? I know that from an exit angle standpoint, high would be better. But I like the thought of the lower mounting position allowing better visibility behind me via the mirror. Your thoughts?

On another note: One rather minor aspect that I want to address is adding a receiver hitch. I currently have a Honda rear bumper and receiver hitches have not been available that would allow such with the Honda bumper. Since DRF says its design allows the mounting of a Dragonfire receiver hitch, I was resigned to removing my rear bumper. Otherwise, I'd order the DRF fitted to attach to my existing bumper. But... ALAS! I see that CA Technologies now offers a receiver hitch that WILL fit with the Honda bumper. So, I'll likely have the DRF reconfigured to mount to my bumper. And that's a good thing.

Steve

I have the high mount, strictly for angle of departure because I had no point of reference. @Lil_Steve got the low mount so he could actually see out the back. He has a great photo of me tryin' to keep up in the rear view mirror if he can find it. I don't have a rear view mirror because the over bed spare pretty much blocks that view completely. I don't know what the answer is.

Glad you found an option to use your bumper with the DRF and a receiver hitch. When DRF was able to point me to the Dragon Fire (with part number), I placed my order (no rear bumper though).

The large blob that looks like a huge rear view mirror is the over bed tire. And that's the DRF high spare.
View attachment 322794

High vs low DRF spare mount, @CID and my machine visual comparison..... (apologies for the pic bombardment)

I Tb5Fj7r XL

I T5Z3bjc XL

I wBpGwXJ XL

I QX7CSBN XL

I ZmZjbpp XL

I LfsvNfw XL

I rWPXMgh XL

If @CID did have a rear view mirror, he wouldn't be able to see much out of it with the high mount spare.

I 5BH3Djm XL

Here's what I can see in my rear view with my second spare carrier removed but with the DRF low mount equipped.

I 9SwNXz6 XL

Not much in the way of a departure angle here, but it's not even remotely a concern.

I SJ2BpWM XL

The height of the "high" mount makes it very unlikely to ever be a problem, especially with casual use.

I NBmcHkB XL

I did not have the DRF spare carrier in these photos but there would be no clearance issues if I did.

49337619902 6ffbbcf493 b

49336934388 ca03f53a56 b

Another reference, I followed a few of my buddies on their bikes for 3 days/over 350 miles of mostly dirt/varying terrain on the AZPT while using an ATV cargo carrier. Anytime I thought the carrier might be at risk of contact I'd ask them to have a look, I wasn't even close.

I 7vD2Kns XL

Here's an example, not extreme but it's the only example I have pics of.

I d2J88JS XL

I 8tcZD86 XL

Hitch receiver, yes, the DragonFire is compatible with the DRF bed extender but it's pretty thin walled steel. I previously had the KFI receiver and it's much more stout. When my buddy repaired my broken frame he also made a couple of cutouts so I could reuse the stronger KFI receiver with the DRF bed extender.

I xVPQRqB XL

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
KenThomspon: Do you have any pics of your rig?

Steve
Here’ some pics of the different things I have done. Some pics don’t have the latest upgrades. I need to get it out and take some new pics with everything done. Radiator is for a small block chev, so it will never overheat no matter what the ambient temp. is. The shift handle is hand made. I couldn’t find one that I liked I could afford. The rear cooler rack swings out. The reinforcement plate at the rear doubles as a strap connection point. I use that to winch the Talon up onto the aluminum truck rack. The Donaldson filter can had the 90 deg. Elbow to start, but I added the top spin unit. The filter rarely gets any dirt in it. Since I’m kind of an old f***, I made the center caps and added the Crager knock offs. I will have to get o m ass and are some most recent pics.

298E670B 479B 47E6 8221 B8A1D9751EEE C868A685 BBD3 432F 9BB3 BFFC735D5A3F BA289B66 31B2 42CD 8F08 59A720BA054F 145D13AC 1D5C 49DA A720 E609BD0624EE F6CE57C8 56DD 4A42 B1CA C3FF9C544F47 11E22674 C5E0 409A AD30 903591CEFDAB 39D7F7E0 CDF9 43FF BC7C 43A77B245FFA 6DECF53B DF06 4FC3 8912 C7454225E964

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
High vs low DRF spare mount, @CID and my machine visual comparison..... (apologies for the pic bombardment)

View attachment 322832

View attachment 322833

View attachment 322834

View attachment 322835

View attachment 322836

View attachment 322837

View attachment 322838

If @CID did have a rear view mirror, he wouldn't be able to see much out of it with the high mount spare.

View attachment 322839

Here's what I can see in my rear view with my second spare carrier removed but with the DRF low mount equipped.

View attachment 322840

Not much in the way of a departure angle here, but it's not even remotely a concern.

View attachment 322841

The height of the "high" mount makes it very unlikely to ever be a problem, especially with casual use.

View attachment 322842

I did not have the DRF spare carrier in these photos but there would be no clearance issues if I did.

View attachment 322843

View attachment 322844

Another reference, I followed a few of my buddies on their bikes for 3 days/over 350 miles of mostly dirt/varying terrain on the AZPT while using an ATV cargo carrier. Anytime I thought the carrier might be at risk of contact I'd ask them to have a look, I wasn't even close.

View attachment 322845

Here's an example, not extreme but it's the only example I have pics of.

View attachment 322846

View attachment 322847

Hitch receiver, yes, the DragonFire is compatible with the DRF bed extender but it's pretty thin walled steel. I previously had the KFI receiver and it's much more stout. When my buddy repaired my broken frame he also made a couple of cutouts so I could reuse the stronger KFI receiver with the DRF bed extender.

View attachment 322848

Exactly the kind of pics I was looking for! You have made my decision for me, Lil' Steve (I'm BIG Steve BTW 😁 ). I'll be going with the spare carrier on the DRF in the low position like yours.

Appreciate it!

Steve

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here’ some pics of the different things I have done. Some pics don’t have the latest upgrades. I need to get it out and take some new pics with everything done. Radiator is for a small block chev, so it will never overheat no matter what the ambient temp. is. The shift handle is hand made. I couldn’t find one that I liked I could afford. The rear cooler rack swings out. The reinforcement plate at the rear doubles as a strap connection point. I use that to winch the Talon up onto the aluminum truck rack. The Donaldson filter can had the 90 deg. Elbow to start, but I added the top spin unit. The filter rarely gets any dirt in it. Since I’m kind of an old f***, I made the center caps and added the Crager knock offs. I will have to get o m ass and are some most recent pics.

View attachment 322824 View attachment 322825 View attachment 322826 View attachment 322827 View attachment 322828 View attachment 322829 View attachment 322830 View attachment 322831

That is a sensational looking rig, KenThompson! I do recall seeing your tailgate after you first fab'd it and posted pictures. I was impressed then and certainly am now.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Reactions: Smitty335
K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks a lot! I love fabricating custom parts. I always strive for perfection in every part I make. Teaching myself how to tig weld aluminum has been one of the hardest things, but after 3 boxes of rod, and numerous bottles of argon, I’m not so embarrassed when people look at the welds. As I’ve always said, I’m not a good welder, but I am a good grinder.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks a lot! I love fabricating custom parts. I always strive for perfection in every part I make. Teaching myself how to tig weld aluminum has been one of the hardest things, but after 3 boxes of rod, and numerous bottles of argon, I’m not so embarrassed when people look at the welds. As I’ve always said, I’m not a good welder, but I am a good grinder.

I understand. I would say the same, but I'm not sure I'm even a good grinder! Lol

When I retired six years ago I decided to learn to weld. I spent my entire career in the oil/gas valve manufacturing sector and worked closely with tool/die machinists and welders. Although I worked in Engineering and Sales, I always respected those guys. So, I bought a little Lincoln 180 Dual MIG welder and started dobbing. I got relatively proficient at that and decided to try my hand at TIG. Bought a relatively inexpensive Everlast 210 EXT and started working on TIG welding. My attempts were less than *stellar* - even with steel (I've never even attempted aluminum). I now have even MORE respect for anyone who can do that. I should have started this learning curve many years earlier when I had the hands and eyesight of a younger man. At 66 I struggle to keep the hand steady. I spend more time regrinding my tungsten than I do welding, as my shaky hand is prone to dipping the tip into the puddle.

I know what should be written on my headstone:

"Here lies Steve. It is a certain truth that whatever endeavor he attempted, it was a sure bet that he had more equipment than talent."

:p

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I understand. I would say the same, but I'm not sure I'm even a good grinder! Lol

When I retired six years ago I decided to learn to weld. I spent my entire career in the oil/gas valve manufacturing sector and worked closely with tool/die machinists and welders. Although I worked in Engineering and Sales, I always respected those guys. So, I bought a little Lincoln 180 Dual MIG welder and started dobbing. I got relatively proficient at that and decided to try my hand at TIG. Bought a relatively inexpensive Everlast 210 EXT and started working on TIG welding. My attempts were less than *stellar* - even with steel (I've never even attempted aluminum). I now have even MORE respect for anyone who can do that. I should have started this learning curve many years earlier when I had the hands and eyesight of a younger man. At 66 I struggle to keep the hand steady. I spend more time regrinding my tungsten than I do welding, as my shaky hand is prone to dipping the tip into the puddle.

"Here lies Steve. It is a certain truth that whatever endeavor he attempted, it was a sure bet that he had more equipment than talent."

Steve
First thing I did after retiring was signing up for welding classes. I was obsessed with the science of welding. What I learned was that the more I learned, the less I knew. :oops: Almost none of that knowledge translated into skill. :confused: I bought a TIG waaaaay back before there were hobby welders just so I could learn alum. That was long before the internet and youtube, the learning curve was painfully steep. My problem is that I compare my welds to those gifted few who can free hand an alum intercooler, titanium header, etc. and beat myself up mercilessly. 😢 I have 7 angle grinders. 😊

My welding library, read most of most of them - o_O
IMG 7661 XL

Last edited:
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
There's still time to have him add the spare tire carrier, IF you decide that that cantilevered weight is OK. I've ridden at some 'enthusiastic' speeds through the AZ desert rocks, chasing @Lil_Steve and haven't had any problems with that weight waaaaay back there. Please understand - I know that this is your Talon to build as you want; I'm just offering up information to use as you'd like, options are good. It's easier to remove that bracketry than to add it later.

Best pic I have of the mount -
View attachment 322786
Do you know the weight of the carrier?

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X

Steve
My first tig machine was a Miller machine, which was a decent quality machine. It wasn‘t water cooled and would weld 1/4”, but it struggled. My new Miller machine is water cooled, newer, and will weld 3/8”. It’s newer, so it has better features and simpler controls. I’m totally stupid as far as wave length and all of the other tech settings. I need simple! I definitely weld better with the newer water cooled machine.

• Love
Reactions: stellarpod and CID
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Weller is familiar with this tire carrier, and they do a good job revalving and respringing the shocks for it. Their setup works as long as there is some weight on there, if you ride without a spare and/or other equipment in the back it will be a bit pogoey.

Reactions: stellarpod and CID
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I think I heard my name mentioned. Sorry for the slow response.

I had good intentions to do a suspension comparison, but it kind of derailed on me a little. Here is what I wrote about that to another forum member who inquired about the WR suspension.

Lil Steve offered to loan me his ST shocks, so that I could do a comparison between stock, ST, and Weller. It started out well. I ran a route on the stock shocks near my home, on all of the types of terrain that I commonly ride. That includes sandy trails, sand washes, rocky trails, gravel roads, and paved roads. Obviously, I knew what my stock set up felt like, but I wanted to do a back to back comparison with the ST. So after the initial run on the stock suspension, I installed the ST shocks, adjusted the ride height, and went out to do the same loop. About 1/4 mile into the ride, my wife and I looked at each other and smiled. It was a great improvement. Nice plush ride, which is what I was looking for. I went on to put about 1000 miles on the ST shocks and was very happy with them.

I had heard good things about Weller, so the plan was to get my shocks/springs redone by WR. There was a few weeks delay getting into their shop to do the job. Meanwhile it was HOT here, so I wasn't riding much. I took my machine into WR, not just the shocks, as I wanted them to set the ride height. (that was an extra $125 or $150) My contact with James at WR was entirely pleasant. They did the work in about 2 hours. He told me that they would revalve the shocks once "for free" if I had any issues. I got the machine home, and went for a ride. It was very harsh, back almost to stock ride. I was very disappointed, having spent $1800. I ride a fair amount of rocky trails, and that is where I really felt the harsh ride.

I called WR and told James what I was experiencing. He seemed surprised. We scheduled a return visit for them to rework the suspension. Again, I took the machine in. They revalved the shocks and adjusted the crossovers. James told me that my tires were the cause of my harsh ride. I had been running these same tires for 2700 miles, on stock, ST, and WR suspension, and this was explained to James. He kept bringing that up, which really pissed me off. When I got home I took it out for a test ride and it was definitely better. The problem is that with the elapsed time, and the harsh WR setup in between, it is hard for me to accurately evaluate it compared to the ST setup. I think the WR setup is not quite as plush as the ST setup, but it is very hard to quantify. I have decided to let it ride (ha!), at least for now. As I said, I wish I had bought the ST shocks from LilSteve. I would have had less money in them, and I would still have the stock shocks which I could sell.

Since this thread started out about DOT tires, I will say that I am very happy with my BFG K02s. They work well on every type of terrain that I ride (see above). I try to avoid mud as much as possible! As CID mentioned earlier, 10 PSI is the sweet spot for me. At that pressure, I thought the tires rode essentially the same as the stock tires. I don't have much opportunity to ride dunes, but I was at Sand Hollow in October. The Talon did surprisingly well on my KO2 tires. I didn't even lower my tire pressure below my normal 10 psi. I have about 3300miles on these tires now. Checking the tread depth, it looks like I should get around 10k miles out of them. I would like more, but that isn't too bad. When I bought them they were only about $145, which I thought was a great price. Like everything else, that price has increased over the last year.

I have a thread on here somewhere about this shock comparison. I never got around to writing up the WR shocks, because of how it kind of went south on me.

I hope this is of some help.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
@Boundertom Sorry to hear that WR is pointing fingers, that's a bad business model IMO. I've talked to James and he seemed knowledgeable.

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
@Boundertom Sorry to hear that WR is pointing fingers, that's a bad business model IMO. I've talked to James and he seemed knowledgeable.
Yeah, overall James was pleasant and did seem knowledgeable. He just really got under my skin with blaming the tires. It will be interesting to see if you get any of that. Since you have those evil TRUCK tires too! :D Maybe if you get yours done, we can get together for a comparison?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yeah, overall James was pleasant and did seem knowledgeable. He just really got under my skin with blaming the tires. It will be interesting to see if you get any of that. Since you have those evil TRUCK tires too! :D Maybe if you get yours done, we can get together for a comparison?
You can bet on it.
x.gif

Reactions: Boundertom
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Great write up. I also run LT tires (goodyear wrangler authority-walmart specials :)), 7000 miles on them currently, expect 13-14000 or until that perfect rock! IF there's a downside to them I'm ok with it and I'll replace with the same as needed

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!