Street tires/wheels DOT compliant

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry if this is a redundant thread. New Oklahoma laws allow UTV's on the streets with the requisite signals, horn, etc. I've done all that and would like to find a DOT-certified tire along with new wheels. Preferably, I'd use the exact same wheel/tire on all four corners. I'd also like the tires to be off-road capable. Not looking to increase tire size too much from factory, but would consider some increase in diameter. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

Reactions: Remington
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Since I don't ride in much mud or sand, I'm trying the 30" K02 BFGoodrich All-Terrain TAs, mostly for name recognition. If they're good enough to win desert races, they outta work for me. I'm hoping for more mileage than the 5700 I got out of 6 STI Chicane RX's (2 fronts, 4 rears). I loved the handling of the RX's though. I'm not plated, 😢 so all dirt miles, lots of desert and rocky high country.

I M2V9tfx X2

I 95wSGcm X2

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
This list is on Face book if you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve been using DOT tires for the last three years. LT/MT 30 inch and they’re fantastic in all terrain I’ve been in mud swamp sand and rock. Awesome where and great traction. Even on the street they’ve been fantastic. @BWAF has DOT’s as well
208B7635 8A3D 4147 80E8 70AE3CA2BE78
ACA3F336 73C9 4CBD A085 771F5FD1D266

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sorry if this is a redundant thread. New Oklahoma laws allow UTV's on the streets with the requisite signals, horn, etc. I've done all that and would like to find a DOT-certified tire along with new wheels. Preferably, I'd use the exact same wheel/tire on all four corners. I'd also like the tires to be off-road capable. Not looking to increase tire size too much from factory, but would consider some increase in diameter. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
DOT Tensor Regulators are a very good bet….👍

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I run them on my Pioneer 1000, on the stock steel wheels, same size all four corners. I did so for overlanding treks…..

I see. Right now, I'm thinking about keeping my stock wheels for paddles and buying new 14" wheels for the DOT tires. Probably 30", but maybe 28". Of course, this could all change in a heartbeat. ;)

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I got a rock between the caliper(?) and wheel with 15" wheels on my R in the Utah backcountry; didn't see it until I was mounting the TA's. I have a spare but don't look forward to a tire change out there.
I DHLJ2fB XL.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I see. Right now, I'm thinking about keeping my stock wheels for paddles and buying new 14" wheels for the DOT tires. Probably 30", but maybe 28". Of course, this could all change in a heartbeat. ;)

Steve
That makes good sense….

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t mean to derail the thread, but is this really regulated?

Ive driven my SD legal P1k5 in 3 states (MN, SD, MT) on only the factory tires and never ever hear or seen it checked ever even in large groups. Even had the popo stop and chat with me on several occasions and never a peep.

I understand the why one would want to change tires, just wonder if anyone has ever seen it enforced?

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Ive driven my SD legal P1k5 in 3 states (MN, SD, MT) on only the factory tires and never ever hear or seen it checked ever even in large groups. Even had the popo stop and chat with me on several occasions and never a peep.

I understand the why one would want to change tires, just wonder if anyone has ever seen it enforced?

To be honest, I doubt that it would ever be an issue with local police (unless one was just looking for something to jab you about). But, for me, it's an excuse to shod my Talon with more appropriate tires for both on- and off-road use. I'd like to improve sidewall protection particularly, and an 8-ply tire seems like a step in the right direction. Also, I want to standardize tire/wheel size on all four corners. See, I've got lots of rationale. 😁

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

You’re right, probably not. The last overlanding I did was in the Talon with non DOT’s and had no problems. Wasn’t ever stopped, but not sure that they look for that anyway.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To be honest, I doubt that it would ever be an issue with local police (unless one was just looking for something to jab you about). But, for me, it's an excuse to shod my Talon with more appropriate tires for both on- and off-road use. I'd like to improve sidewall protection particularly, and an 8-ply tire seems like a step in the right direction. Also, I want to standardize tire/wheel size on all four corners. See, I've got lots of rationale. 😁
👍👍

T

T-4

Dec 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Just received these Tusk Terrabite 30 X 10-14 on Tusk Tintic Milled/Black wheels (5) for my new X-4. Now waiting for some parts to the dealer so they can install theirs and I can finally bring it home and add all of mine...including this set w/spare. I like to run all tires and wheels the same and have a spare that is the same so I can rotate them and if I lose one I have the same set up ready to put on.
I ran Terrabites on my RZR 4 fpr 5+ years and really liked them. They still had 55-65% tread when I sold it last month. For the riding I do in the NW which is a lot of two tracks and FS roads into the Sawtooths and Whiteclouds, they work well. These tracks have some knarly rod stuff and when I'm on pavement or hard pack, they are so much quieter. I'm not a mudder of sand guy, so no opinion or endorsement there. I do play in the snow a bit and certainly a more aggressive/blocky tire would work better. Now you know why I have a recovery rope, winch and extra 90' of winch line with me all the time!
Pick something from all of the experience here and your's along with your knowledge of how and where you ride and enjoy them.
T-4

Tusk Terrabite Tintic

T

T-4

Dec 17, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Sorry, didn't mention that they are 8 ply radials and DOT approved, in case you are not familiar with them.
I just bought the set mounted on Monday and they arrived at 5:15 Wed evening. Pure Offroad were very easy and helpful to work with. If you check with them ask for Cort.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry, didn't mention that they are 8 ply radials and DOT approved, in case you are not familiar with them.
I just bought the set mounted on Monday and they arrived at 5:15 Wed evening. Pure Offroad were very easy and helpful to work with. If you check with them ask for Cort.

Are you using spacers in the back to maintain at or near factory width?

Steve

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!