20150719_105247.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 214
p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
thanks jak9922 and p500fan.... that makes me feel good
I appreciate craftsmanship & ingenuity in all forms. I was a machinist/fabricator for 20 years before moving to AK. Good design/work is always admired. I encourage my students to combine form & function. Your rig is a good example of that.

Reactions: mrjeff42
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
View attachment 5487 View attachment 5488 Moose ordered a Strong made bumper, got it yesterday installed it today. Very easy to install and did exactly what I wanted....protects the radiator very well. Very high quality and Mike at Strong made was very helpful and was able to answer all of my questions.

@Akfishbum which, winch mount did you use to mount it low in those pictures, all the others I have seen it bolts on top of that bumper? I kind of like it down low, I don't mud and would prefer to keep by center of gravity as low as possible.

If anyone else knows please chime in. Thanks

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
@Akfishbum which, winch mount did you use to mount it low in those pictures, all the others I have seen it bolts on top of that bumper? I kind of like it down low, I don't mud and would prefer to keep by center of gravity as low as possible.

Kfi makes a good low mounting bracket.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Thanks @Moose308 I just like the idea of open air flow to radiator from top of bumper, not that it makes any difference under 15 mph. :)

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Thanks @Moose308 I just like the idea of open air flow to radiator from top of bumper, not that it makes any difference under 15 mph. :)
I agree. This is a strong protectI've setup and cost effective. You don't have to buy a winch plate or brush guard over headlights.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I agree. This is a strong protectI've setup and cost effective. You don't have to buy a winch plate or brush guard over headlights.

You sold me, I like the looks as well appear much more substantial than the Honda add on bumper. ;)

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
You sold me, I like the looks as well appear much more substantial than the Honda add on bumper. ;)
No comparison in quality or cost.I think when you put your hands on one you will be blown away. ;)

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
The Honda OEM winch bracket sits low inside the "pre-runner" bumper/skid plate. It might be just the thing for you @JACKAL.

Reactions: JACKAL
advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The Honda OEM winch bracket sits low inside the "pre-runner" bumper/skid plate. It might be just the thing for you @JACKAL.
Thanks, @p500fan I'm still mulling it over. I like the tucked in outta the way look of that Honda type mount but like stated by others elsewhere the on top location of the strong made bumper would make for easier access, and viewing while winching from inside. Decisions, decision.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Talked to strongmade today and their rear bumpers will be available in a couple weeks. Also they are coming out with a front rack for the pioneer 500 in a couple weeks also. Gotta get me a rear bumper.

Reactions: p500fan
B

BryanC

Jul 17, 2015
Akfishbum - are you using the KFI winch mount? Where the winch is upside down?
Thanks.

edit - i think its the Strongmade winch mount. It helps to google before you type.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
Talked to strongmade today and their rear bumpers will be available in a couple weeks. Also they are coming out with a front rack for the pioneer 500 in a couple weeks also. Gotta get me a rear bumper.
I kinda like the idea of a front rack. Extra storage/cargo capacity would be an asset. The front racks that are available now haven't impressed me, and I'm not sold on the rooftop carriers. I don't like the idea of putting stuff up that high. If anyone has ideas/thoughts on this issue, please respond. I'd like to get some more info.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I kinda like the idea of a front rack. Extra storage/cargo capacity would be an asset. The front racks that are available now haven't impressed me, and I'm not sold on the rooftop carriers. I don't like the idea of putting stuff up that high. If anyone has ideas/thoughts on this issue, please respond. I'd like to get some more info.
Only negative I can think of is if it is loaded too high blocking your vision.

Reactions: p500fan
M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Update. If anyone is interested strongmade rear bumper will be out first week of September. Cost 202.00.

Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500

JACKEL the winch mount is the Oem one from Honda.....I talked the dealership into installing a winch for free as part of the sale I thought about moving the winch up top but I kinda like it down low for the same reason it helps keep the CG lower. I have bighorns on order supposed to be here next week....hope they get here early in the week I head out to moose hunt on the 30th and really want them on it before I go. Built a stable for the Pig today, Added a lean to next to my shed to park her under. Has to the 10 foot pole on the fence it's actually a handle for a really crappy dip net that was given to me.....but it would better as a 10 pole since it really does keep you away from the fish it floats so you can't get the net down.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
Just got a P500 and trying to get her set up. Like the Strongmade rear basket, does it mount directly metal on metal?
Also, does anybody have pics of mounted front basket on P500?
Bolts directly to the rack.However it doesn't require drilling and can be removed easily. Rack is awesome.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!