P500 Stuck in 4WD.

Y

y2juice

Oct 19, 2015
Hello All,

Newbie here with a new 2016 P500. I just picked it up yesterday and only had time to drive it around the yard a few times. I've noticed that the indicator says it's in 4WD however the Lever says it's in 2WD. moving the lever up and down, shifting up and down, on/off, other simple troubleshooting does nothing.

It literally only has 1 mile on it and has been it that way since I brought it home. Before I take it back and have the dealer check it out does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking maybe there is a cable tension problem. Not sure.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks all

Y

y2juice

Oct 19, 2015
Pretty simple fix once I figured it out. Long story short I took the hood off and disconnected the cable from the adjustment block. Once I did that the machine instantly switched to two wheel drive. Which lead me to believe the cable was out of adjustment.

Pulled the front passenger wheel and found a plastic cover over the cable at the transfer case. Pulled that cover off and found another adjustment point. Little adjustment and we're good to go.

I was bummed to have to work on a brand new machine BUT it was sweet to work on something perfectly clean.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Pretty simple fix once I figured it out. Long story short I took the hood off and disconnected the cable from the adjustment block. Once I did that the machine instantly switched to two wheel drive. Which lead me to believe the cable was out of adjustment.

Pulled the front passenger wheel and found a plastic cover over the cable at the transfer case. Pulled that cover off and found another adjustment point. Little adjustment and we're good to go.

I was bummed to have to work on a brand new machine BUT it was sweet to work on something perfectly clean.

Another built on Friday afternoon quirk :)

Reactions: Russ989
P

Pedel

Oct 20, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 500

Your detailed description helped me take care of the transfer case control cable and now it works as a charm. I did a lot of useless research before a found your article. Thank you very much.