P500 4wd self engagement

M

Mr McH2O

Jun 7, 2022
Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Like the title says… loaded up to go for a ride today.. realized the 4wd light was on after unloading it.. switched it off and back on and 4wd light flickered a time or 2 then popped back on. The only thing I know about it, is on the driver side of the bike on the front chunk there is a small wire, and with this wire I unplugged, the 2wd works. Plug the wire up and the 4WD indicator on the dash illuminates and the bike locks itself in 4wd without the handle in the 4wd location

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s an e-lock. I believe it is a mechanical 2WD/4WD selector arm moved through some linkage by the lever on the dash. Have you looked and tried to adjust the linkage? I don’t have my P5 anymore or I’d have looked to confirm before I posted this.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I could be wrong but I don’t think it’s an e-lock. I believe it is a mechanical 2WD/4WD selector arm moved through some linkage by the lever on the dash. Have you looked and tried to adjust the linkage? I don’t have my P5 anymore or I’d have looked to confirm before I posted this.

That's correct. There's a mechanical linkage just above the front differential, a cable and an adjustment nut. There's a small black plastic cover over it that can be opened up to allow for adjustment. Should be an easy fix.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
What they said ^^^.
And when I pulled the plastic cover off the 4wd lever cable on the passenger side of the diff. for the locker install, it was caked with mud. Learned that periodic inspection and cleaning is good to reduce stress on the cable.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!