Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
FYI reminder, for new or 2nd hand owners. Many good past posts on the emergency shift tool under the drivers seat, and nut near the oil fill. As they say, ..Don't leave home without it! I've needed it once already. Example post... P500 - wont start or shift :-(

IMG 0515

Reactions: Peter_72
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does this come with the machine?
Do you have a part number owners can reference when they call their parts department?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
@Neohio , The tool came with the machine, sometimes called a backup emergency manual shift tool. As others have posted, it's a 5/16 or 8 mm, but the longer OEM tool is easier for me to handle, and it has storage clip under drivers seat. Some pictures of wrench on gear shifting nut, a tight fit behind shaft. Good to do a practice find in comfort of garage, and not in a mud puddle... LOL. Found this on parts fiche, but no further description, 89227-HP5-600

IMG 0516 IMG 0517 View attachment 53864 IMG 0518 View attachment 53866 IMG 0522

Last edited:
B

Bomersteve35

Jan 9, 2021
Portland or
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I second the practice it at home. Or in our case at least watch a video on it. Appalachian Mountain has a good YouTube video. The factory wrench only shifts up on one side and down on the other. You have to flip it over as it hits stuff not letting you shift up and down at the same time. Also from the top side there is no way to see the bolt head to turn. It's behind the drive line kinda low. Our 520 died first day we picked it up from the dealer and I was thankfully I had watched a video and had a clue what to do

Peter_72

Peter_72

Supporting Member
May 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
One of the guys I ride with had to use his a couple of weeks ago. His P5 started flashing an error and wouldn’t shift, he used the tool to put it in 3rd gear and got it back to our RV site.

Reactions: Mudder
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!