P1000 Studid Mistake when changing the oil

B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1st off my dealer only sold my 6 qts of oil, so I was a little short to begin with! I just did my 1st oil change today, I read all the info on hear about changing it too, so I'm expert right....WRONG!!! I drained my oil and diffs today. While changing my oil, I noticed how hard it was getting the cover off and once I got the cover to come off it popped off and fell out. I changed the filter then did the DCT as well, the little spring popped out and I caught it, then put it back together. Checked the oil and was just a hair short. I thought i'll pick up some more GN4 this week to top it off. As I went to move my drain pan, I saw a large spring laying in the pan. I knew immediately what it was. I took the oil cover back off, and lost several ounces of oil. I was short on oil to begin with, now its not even touching the dip stick. So I had some Castrol 10w30 SAE motor oil laying around. I had to add it to get enough in it so I can put her back in the barn. I just ordered 8 qts from Amazon, It cost me $60. But like I told my wife I'd rather re-drain and put the correct kind in than mix it. I know it probably wont hurt anything but these engines and trannys are so sensitive I didn't want to take any chances..

W

wyodlr

Aug 15, 2016
Cody Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes change it that Castrol is probably not JASO oil so could cause tranny problems

Reactions: pct
B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got all the fluids changed back out, and re-did the filters as well just as a precaution. Expensive $75 mistake, but like said I'd rather be safe than sorry. She runs like a champ and the big girl is a lot quieter when going in and out of gear and seems to shift out smoother as well. Maybe I'm finally getting use to all the noises she makes, or its getting broke in good, who knows. Not sure what oils the factory using but the GN4 Honda oil sure seemed to do the job.

Reactions: joeymt33
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Sorry to hear about this issue. I'm guessing you are referring to the how to guide on the oil change.
If this happened to you, it can happen to another. I will look I to adding a caution note tonight in the guide. I'll let you know and request your opinion on location and text when done.

Thanks

K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry to hear about this issue. I'm guessing you are referring to the how to guide on the oil change.
If this happened to you, it can happen to another. I will look I to adding a caution note tonight in the guide. I'll let you know and request your opinion on location and text when done.

Thanks
Happened to me also that both springs fell out but i seen them fall out so I was OK
And the drain plug washer I lost one in the oil drain pan ..but I think that's in the procedure to watch out for

Reactions: CumminsPusher
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Did you get the same line I got, to keep your warranty in the event the engine blows or transmission s***s the bed you must have Honda oil they check the viscosity and if it doesn't match Honda will null and void all your warranties.

B

Bfree66

Sep 1, 2016
North Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No I didn't get that speech. They did say that really no need to even bring it in, we have no problem with you changing your on oil, even for a valve check unless you hear them rattling. He said we've only had 1 out of the 50 or so 1st oil changes that needed adjusting and it was 1/1000 out.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to change mine 3 or 4 times in a row when I swamped mine. That was a quick 200 out the door. That being said I can do an oil change blindfolded now. Lol

Reactions: SIHunter and sharp