P1000 Sub transmission

S

Shiney

May 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just wondering if anyone has had issues like I am. My 2017 1000-5 Deluxe model just grinds when I put it in low. Adjusted linkage and no difference. Called local dealer and he said to bring it in. I did today and he is saying he needs to tare apart subtransmission to see if the clutch update they did may have had something to do with this, if not I may be on the hook for the bill!!! 6 months off warranty... Only 2600 trail km on it...

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Just wondering if anyone has had issues like I am. My 2017 1000-5 Deluxe model just grinds when I put it in low. Adjusted linkage and no difference. Called local dealer and he said to bring it in. I did today and he is saying he needs to tare apart subtransmission to see if the clutch update they did may have had something to do with this, if not I may be on the hook for the bill!!! 6 months off warranty... Only 2600 trail km on it...
When was the update? How many miles have you put on since then? When did this problem start?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Phone # for Honda American Support 866-784-1870 ext # 87413

J

JTW

I’d be cautious taking it to the place that potentially f***ed it up to start with... why would they claim it was their fault?

Reactions: seig
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I had this happen on a 2016 1000-5 deluxe, got in a bad bind on a downhill with a bent tie rod. Long story short, trying to get it out even with another machine winching from behind ended up smoking my starter clutch, but also in the process bent a shifting fork in the sub transmission keeping it from fully engaging in Low range.

Without knowing anything about how you used your machine, it is possible the issue you described could be a bent shifting fork if it is not in fact the linkage or cable adjustment.

I was fortunate enough everything was covered under warranty with less than 200 miles on it machine when it happened.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

Shiney

May 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When was the update? How many miles have you put on since then? When did this problem start?

Did the update May 1, 2018 at 1313km, now have 2676km on it. Just started, would go in low but jump when changed gears and now will not even go in low...just grinds

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Did the update May 1, 2018 at 1313km, now have 2676km on it. Just started, would go in low but jump when changed gears and now will not even go in low...just grinds
That's really odd. I know SEVERAL guys with over 15,000 miles on their pioneer and ZERO issues.

Have you had any instances where you put the clutch under heavy load and the wheels weren't turning? Were there any noises coming from the trans or sub trans? Or was jumping when shifting the only symptom? Sounds like it's at the dealer now?

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

Nothing they did with the clutch update should have had anything to do with the sub-trans.

I have had a few after the update that would creep at idle in gear, usually fixed by reinitializing the clutch. Maybe yours was creeping bad enough that it wore the dogs off the gears in the sub trans. I've had one like that as well, but it was reverse gear.

The only issues I've had with not going into low, was a broken shift cable sleeve down near the sub-trans end, that was on a brand new unit off the truck.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Nothing they did with the clutch update should have had anything to do with the sub-trans.

I have had a few after the update that would creep at idle in gear, usually fixed by reinitializing the clutch. Maybe yours was creeping bad enough that it wore the dogs off the gears in the sub trans. I've had one like that as well, but it was reverse gear.

The only issues I've had with not going into low, was a broken shift cable sleeve down near the sub-trans end, that was on a brand new unit off the truck.
I really appreciate you, you are a wealth of knowledge!

Reactions: OleRed and JTW
advertisement
I

Ice

Oct 7, 2017
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just had my clutch cover update done 2 weeks ago at the dealer I bought mine from in Beaver Dam Wisconsin and the day I picked it up I unloaded it and ran it down the road and it worked fine. But then a week later I went to use it and went to shift into low range witch I did not try the week before, It ground going into gear. So I decided to go through all the cable adjustments and still no luck. So I called my dealer and they said it had nothing to do with the clutch cover update and it had nothing to do with them and my machine is one month out of warranty. I decided to research more myself and ended up checking the oil level and it was a 1/4'' high over the full mark in the sub transmission. So i sucked about 2 pints out and the dam thing works just fine.
So something with oil level affect's the way it shift into gear and also it helps if it is not cold weather. So it is important to use the right weight oil and have the exact oil level. It worked for me!!

S

Shiney

May 9, 2017
Sudbury, ON
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an update, took to the dealer that I purchased my bike from today, and they took apart the cover for the transmission and apparently the C clip came off the dampening shaft and all the pieces fell out(something along those lines) My dealer did put a claim in with honda to see if they will come good for this and if there is a reason why this happened. He has never seen this or heard of this before. I also called the Honda good will line and put in a claim. He also wants to drop the oil to make sure no filings in oil. I will let you guys know how this turns out..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!