P500 Super ATV Windshield Modification

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I chose the Super ATV full flip windshield and love the design. Works very well and when fully closed keeps the heat in for cold weather benefit. BUT, I missed being able to take the hood off more than I thought and want to use the space for storage. I did a modification that allows the bottom section to tilt. I can get the hood off in about one minute. I’ll post some pictures and description if anyone is interested. Super ATV should just do this and they would sell more!

Sounds a bit silly BUT I canabalized a couple of old common interior door hinges to make the pieces i needed. Then I cut the existing bracket at the bend, brazed the hinge pieces i made to the two pieces (could be bolted).
Lastly, I took out the lower mounting screw and replaced it with a 1/4 bolt with a wing nut brazed to it and brazed the nut onto the clamp part. Seriously, one minute and the hood is off. No change in the stability of the windshield clamping. Hope this makes a bit of sense!

18B9C96C 8BE2 43F0 ABCE B1E9E1F2A258 5C72A992 8CCE 415E AE40 C32AAA1CA5BB 8E3621C7 D5EE 4F0E B801 DB8E18C743F3 2BB490FB 743A 43AA 8FEC 5DAC7D8458C7

Last edited:
luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I chose the Super ATV full flip windshield and love the design. Works very well and when fully closed keeps the heat in for cold weather benefit. BUT, I missed being able to take the hood off more than I thought and want to use the space for storage. I did a modification that allows the bottom section to tilt. I can get the hood off in about one minute. I’ll post some pictures and description if anyone is interested. Super ATV should just do this and they would sell more!
Interested,pics would be great

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I have the same windshield and the same concerns. I would love some more info on this.
Glad to, here are a few more pictures from another angle. I’m not an engineer or pro...just always got by with what I had on hand. Cutting the common houhold door hinge gave me the two pivot points which I brazed to the existing angle bracket. I cut the bracket at the bend. The lower clamp on each side works much better with a 1/4 bolt, a wing nut brazed to it and the nut brazed to the back of the clamp. Once you do it a few times the hood is off in a minute. 1. Undo wing nut/bolt on each side. 2. Lift rear of hood up and pull one front corner out. 3. Same on other side. 4. Remove hood. If you zoom the photos from a bit earlier and these, it becomes fairly obvious.

8010AEF9 9E1A 4095 A964 583D44DA8BA7 C6C9D482 D7AB 40E1 8E3F D99464736AF1

Reactions: 1border4manu
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Glad to, here are a few more pictures from another angle. I’m not an engineer or pro...just always got by with what I had on hand. Cutting the common houhold door hinge gave me the two pivot points which I brazed to the existing angle bracket. I cut the bracket at the bend. The lower clamp on each side works much better with a 1/4 bolt, a wing nut brazed to it and the nut brazed to the back of the clamp. Once you do it a few times the hood is off in a minute. 1. Undo wing nut/bolt on each side. 2. Lift rear of hood up and pull one front corner out. 3. Same on other side. 4. Remove hood. If you zoom the photos from a bit earlier and these, it becomes fairly obvious.

View attachment 54925 View attachment 54926
I like your design for sure. Having the same concern as you about accessing the storage under the hood, I put the 15" half windshield on, removed the unclamps and put on the ROP clamps to secure the windshield. Can have it off in a minute.. and access the storage. I designed the top half of the windshield to lay on top when not in use, but then I can lay it down where it sits over the bottom half if it's cold or raining. It's hinged using the plastic golf cart windshield hinge kit. Haven't a clue how it's gonna work, but I'll know in a few weeks after banging around in Idaho and Colorado deer hunting.

Sticktime

Sticktime

Dec 25, 2019
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500

View attachment 54925 View attachment 54926
I'm resurrecting an old thread but I'm new to the p500 addiction. I started the installation of this windshield tonight and instantly had buyers remorse. Would you be interested in performing those mods on my mounts for a fee if I shipped them to you?

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Good to see someone brazing...it's getting to be a lost art.

Sticktime

Sticktime

Dec 25, 2019
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I wanted to add an update with my solution since you guys helped me out!
I ended up going to tractor supply and using some small strap hinges, I cut the bracket that came with the windshield and then drilled and ground them down a bit. I trimmed the hinges and had to do a bit of grinding on the plexi glass to make sure there was no rubbing. then I just hit the hinge with some bed liner in a can to make them black.

For the bottom bolt, I replaced it with a multi position hitch pin. I can get into the hood in less than 30 seconds with this setup. I'd like to find some better hinges eventually
20200221 1422091
20200221 1422021
20200221 1421591

20200221 1422091 20200221 1422021 20200221 1421591

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!