P1000m5 Superatv windshield

D

Dnorris1369

Jun 18, 2016
North Carolina
Anyone have any reviews on the two piece flip windshield for the 1000. I have the Honda two piece but doesn't s mthe not do much for airflow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's not bad, I've had one for a couple months now. The roll bar clamps are not as nice as the Honda clamps, I have to tighten screws up every 100 miles or so. The company doesn't recommend riding with windshield open if you ask them, I've ridden up to 20 mph or so with no problems, and it is nice when it's hot out, cuts down on the dust too.

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like mine so far. I had some issues with bolts backing out so I just added some loctite to everything that doesn't have a lock nut on it. Other than that I have been really happy with mine. I have driven 40+ mph with it flipped open all the way with no problems.

Reactions: Remington and JTW
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Anyone have any reviews on the two piece flip windshield for the 1000. I have the Honda two piece but doesn't s mthe not do much for airflow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If u search on here, you'll find a write up on that windshield that I did with the experiences I had with it and the co. Not saying it's a bad windshield , but it may be worth looking at the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: hardlyworkin
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would hold off on purchasing this windshield. We bought the Super ATV flip windshield for our Pioneer 1000-5 and we are NOT happy. The clamps that clamp to the roll cage pop loose on rough trails and when trailering at highway speeds. We just got off the phone with Super ATV and confidence is low that they will resolve this issue. It is an obvious design flaw and the clamps need screws on both sides of the clamp rather than the screw on one side and a plastic ridge to clip it under on the other side. The people at Super ATV are acting like we are the only ones with this problem and we know this is not the case. To see the exact problem look at the pictures Remington posted. I hope they redesign these clips but would strongly recommend passing on this product till they do. Also I read above where someone said Super ATV does not recommend riding with the windshield flipped open! Kinda defeats the whole reason for buying it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would hold off on purchasing this windshield. We bought the Super ATV flip windshield for our Pioneer 1000-5 and we are NOT happy. The clamps that clamp to the roll cage pop loose on rough trails and when trailering at highway speeds. We just got off the phone with Super ATV and confidence is low that they will resolve this issue. It is an obvious design flaw and the clamps need screws on both sides of the clamp rather than the screw on one side and a plastic ridge to clip it under on the other side. The people at Super ATV are acting like we are the only ones with this problem and we know this is not the case. To see the exact problem look at the pictures Remington posted. I hope they redesign these clips but would strongly recommend passing on this product till they do. Also I read above where someone said Super ATV does not recommend riding with the windshield flipped open! Kinda defeats the whole reason for buying it.

Like wrote in the thread with those pics, they said they had an issue with the supplier that makes the clamps and the replacement windshield they sent out was with those clamps. Well..... They were still the same. I call BS on there part! You got yours a whole month after that and still the same issue. Oh and they never gave an explanation about the so called anti scratch that surly wasn't what was advertised.I sent it back, got my money back, pd the little extra fro the Honda flip. 10 times better clams and durability. U can easily remove the top half and use just the bottom. We rode 150 miles this past weekend and it was superb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hardlyworkin

hardlyworkin

Aug 5, 2016
Beckley, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Obviously others have had a different experience than I have. I talked to them and they said to simply snug up the clamps until they don't move around. I did that and have had no problems with them popping loose. Yes, I think the clamps need to be redesigned but they work fine for me.
There is nothing in the instructions that indicates that you shouldn't drive with the windshield all the way open. So to each their own. Personally, I love mine.

Reactions: Rambo and JTW
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Obviously others have had a different experience than I have. I talked to them and they said to simply snug up the clamps until they don't move around. I did that and have had no problems with them popping loose. Yes, I think the clamps need to be redesigned but they work fine for me.
There is nothing in the instructions that indicates that you shouldn't drive with the windshield all the way open. So to each their own. Personally, I love mine.
I think it's great that it has worked so far for you that way, I think it's a cool windshield. Just the clamps and the co telling some one thing and some another. Tech support there first said to "use a pice of rubber in the inside of the clamp to keep it from having play!" I had to inform them that the clamp ain't loose! It's too dam small! They then said Honda had a quality problem with roll bars in different diameters. What ?????? Then they wanted the pics that I sent in the other thread ( witch is what you guys are discribing) and said " that isn't right at all, will send you new ones!" After 2 attempts of new clamps, they still were still the same and they know there not suppose to be like that cuz of them blowing apart while driving witch WILL happen sooner or later! And now the solution is to simply "snug them up" that tells me there just fishin. I hope they stay together, cuz it ain't pretty or fun when that baby pops out and your just along for the ride then. Ben their done that! Not fun. I want to make clear, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, just want everyone to be aware of the issues and what can happen with those clamps while sung. Jbird is a good example.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5

My clamps are defiantly not loose,they fit very snugly on the bar, and fortunately have not popped open, yet. The one thing I forgot, I didn't receive any printed instructions with mine, fun to install, so I don't know what they're putting in writing for using the windshield. I did email the company and ask about operation with the windshield fully open and the response from them was they do not recommend operating with the windshield open. In their defense, how could they recommend that? not knowing how someone is going to operate their machine. I can tell you, if you were going 30+ and went airborne with the windshield open, the windshield, or occupants might not fair well when the machine came back to ground. Just my 2 cents, because the windshield does have quite a bit flex when fully open.

Last edited:
advertisement
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well we give up. We contacted an engineer at SATV and he said they have discovered that the wrong size clamps were being sent to P1K-5 owners and that the P1K-3 has different size roll cage tubes than the P1K-5 (hard to believe). This engineer sent us 6 brand new clamps to fix the problem. We received them a couple of days later and went out to install them. You guessed it, when we snugged them down they popped open and we can't detect that they are any different from what we had. This leaves us to conclude that either our P1k-5 is a one off with larger tubing, our skirt is being blown up, or their shipping department is staffed with gorillas. So I guess we will safety wire each clamp and endure the pity of our friends who said we should have bought the flip out Honda unit like they did.

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm in the market and looking hard at windshields. I'm not going to pay Honda $599 for their plastic windshield. As far as the others, I've looked at the one on sidebysidestuff.com and that's the one I think I'm going to when I pull the trigger...

J

JTW

I'm in the market and looking hard at windshields. I'm not going to pay Honda $599 for their plastic windshield. As far as the others, I've looked at the one on sidebysidestuff.com and that's the one I think I'm going to when I pull the trigger...
I plan on doing a full review and write up as soon as I have a pioneer to put it on.

Reactions: drfubar
Takostubo

Takostubo

Oct 2, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After much debate, and reading the issues with the clamps. I purchased the SuperATV flip up. I emailed the customer service and first response was ignorance about their being a clamp issue, and after another inquiry stated the issue was fixed.

Anyways.. the biggest issue was receiving no instructions, and this turned the experience into about a 4-hour ordeal.
The clamps they sent are definitely on the small side, and are pain in the ass to even start the screw. After reading much issue, I was extremely cautious to not overtighten them and they definitely have gaps on each side. I did tighten one fully, and it popped the other side off as was stated earlier, from that point forward, I was extremely cautious to night torque them.

I have not used it much, except for about 50 miles of mild to moderate riding. I retightend everything, and to this point, everything appears to be working well.

At this stage I give the windshield about 8/10 for function etc. The biggest pain was the install, and doing this without much guidance or install pictures was brutal, it is not easy to figure out and so much could have gone wrong by blindly installing it with the stupid clamps that are technically too small and prone to damage/stripping.

Reactions: JTW
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For those brave souls willing to ignore that the mule is going blind I can give you one time saving tip. The rubber moulding that you are to install on the bottom of the windshield will go a lot easier if you put it in an old pillow case and put it in your clothes dryer for 16 minutes. Forget the suggestion to soak in hot water. If all else fails on the clamps you might use zip tires or safety wire to keep the clamps from popping open. This is working for us so far. Overall our experience is that this windshield is an innovative idea poorly executed.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine didn't come with instructions either, luckily they are online and I have a PC in the garage, but still a pain in the butt. If it wasn't for the fact the windshield flips open fully, I would have gone with the Honda windshield. The Honda glass is going back on for the winter.

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is the price of this 2 piece compared to Honda . Could you purchase the Honda clamps and utilize them. I have the Honda 2 piece and am happy with it. I did make air deflectors to mount on the front of the ROPS to direct air flow directly onto the occupants.

Reactions: JTW
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is the price of this 2 piece compared to Honda . Could you purchase the Honda clamps and utilize them. I have the Honda 2 piece and am happy with it. I did make air deflectors to mount on the front of the ROPS to direct air flow directly onto the occupants.
Picture of the air deflectors please

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!