BOX1

P500 Superwinch OUT issue

S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
Used my 2 yr. old winch for the 3rd time today and find the OUT function does not work. It makes a noise and I feel a vibration in the solenoid but nothing at the winch. IN & Freewheel work fine, all connections tight. Any thoughts?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
reverse the connections on the solenoid and see if it will go out when you press in. Could be your switch, solenoid, winch etc.

If you reverse the wires and the problem continues. I would say the motor on the winch will be suspect.

C

Chooglin

I had this very same problem 2 months ago , in my case , it was the Rocker switch that was bad!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Chooglin is yours hardwired? or do you use the handheld remote?

S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
I had this very same problem 2 months ago , in my case , it was the Rocker switch that was bad!
Same result with rocker and remote, would that indicate not a switch issue or not?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have access to solenoid? swap the two wires. the little black and green. the two outside wires on the solenoid. Wire F and G in diagram.

Capture11

C

Chooglin

Same result with rocker and remote, would that indicate not a switch issue or not?
I would say the switch is fine then but I am no expert.

Have you tried tapping on the selinoid to see if it will work ?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a problem with my winch a few weeks back plowing snow. The circuit breaker decided it wanted to quit on me. I removed the winch wire and placed it on the side of my 100a switch feeding my fuse block. no issues since.

S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
Do you have access to solenoid? swap the two wires. the little black and green. the two outside wires on the solenoid. Wire F and G in diagram.

View attachment 62946
Yes easy access to the solenoid but the SXS is at my hunting camp 100 miles away, I'll try the wire swap soonest.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it is important to have it working while you are there. I would suggest bringing a solenoid with you.
Winch is still usable with its current problem. you can always free spool the line you need and power in if needed.

If swapping wires does not work. Try swapping A and B in the above diagram.
That will identify whether the motor or solenoid is faulty.

Reactions: swsebek
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This will sound dumb, but check the wiring at the winch motor. I had the flip issue (reverse worked but pull in did not). The connection on the motor that was hot when “in” was active was grounding out on the mount and tripping the breaker.

Edited to fix stupid autocorrect
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW
S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
If it is important to have it working while you are there. I would suggest bringing a solenoid with you.
Winch is still usable with its current problem. you can always free spool the line you need and power in if needed.

If swapping wires does not work. Try swapping A and B in the above diagram.
That will identify whether the motor or solenoid is faulty.
I have ordered a solenoid won't go down until I receive it. Not sure I understand what swapping positive and negative (A&B) wires will do, except make a lot of sparks, right? Please explain.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
no sparks at all.
The solenoid sends + down A side when you winch in,
The solenoid sends + down B side when you winch out.
or the other way around. the motor on a winch is reversible, which makes it go in and out.

Think of the solenoid as the forward/reverse switch on your cordless drill.

S

sporter

Nov 4, 2014
no sparks at all.
The solenoid sends + down A side when you winch in,
The solenoid sends + down B side when you winch out.
or the other way around. the motor on a winch is reversible, which makes it go in and out.

Think of the solenoid as the forward/reverse switch on your cordless drill.
Really, didn't know that, Thanks.

Marshall

Marshall

Jun 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
I would say the switch is fine then but I am no expert.

Have you tried tapping on the selinoid to see if it will work ?

Hey Chooglin, I am having the exact same issue as the fella who started this thread. I just held the out button on my switch and tapped my solenoid and just like that it started feeding the winch line out. Hit in on the switch and then out again and nothing. Tapped it and out it came. Does this mean my solonoid is buggered?

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Hey Chooglin, I am having the exact same issue as the fella who started this thread. I just held the out button on my switch and tapped my solenoid and just like that it started feeding the winch line out. Hit in on the switch and then out again and nothing. Tapped it and out it came. Does this mean my solonoid is buggered?

It sounds like it or it could just be a loose connection. Did you check all connection ?

C

Chooglin

Connections seem to be all good and tight, no corrosion or anything either.

Well if you are giving the selinoid a tap and it starts to work , I would say the selinoid is sticking !

Marshall

Marshall

Jun 4, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 500
Well if you are giving the selinoid a tap and it starts to work , I would say the selinoid is sticking !

Good to know! I will swap that unit out and go from there. Thanks!!

Reactions: Chooglin
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!