P700 Sway bar removal?

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone removed the sway bar? Does the rear articulate any better? Does the ride feel smoother?

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a P1K and that was one of the first things I did, it does articulate better but can't tell that the ride is any different but I changed tires and wheels at the same time.

Reactions: JenElio
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I disconnected the SB on my Talon and, yes, it articulates and rides better. The ride is improved because a SB ties the left and right sides together increasing both spring rate and shock valving over the individual side alone. Since the Talons will never be accused of being undersprung, body lean is minimal wo/SB and I'm not a Racer Dude anyway. It's a free experiment and well worth trying since we all ride differently.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I haven't done this, but will eventually. Having done this on my 500, I wished I had done it on the 700 before that. I just want to re-acclimate to the 700 before pulling it.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I removed the swaybar long ago.
Huge difference. Yes, it sways a little more (not terribly). But in exchange, I get to keep both my kidneys.

Most of us disconnected the sway bar and changed the shocks.

If you want to compare... Lay some 2x4's out in the yard and run over them. Disconnect the lower sway bar linkages and use zip ties to hold the sway bar up. Now go run over the 2x4's again. I was impressed enough to go finish the removal.

1972Demon

Aug 10, 2020
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just did it this afternoon.. probably won't test it till next week.

IMG 20200817 130854360

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I removed the swaybar long ago.
Huge difference. Yes, it sways a little more (not terribly). But in exchange, I get to keep both my kidneys.

Most of us disconnected the sway bar and changed the shocks.

If you want to compare... Lay some 2x4's out in the yard and run over them. Disconnect the lower sway bar linkages and use zip ties to hold the sway bar up. Now go run over the 2x4's again. I was impressed enough to go finish the removal.
The best reply thus far! in a day or two I will see! Thank you sir!

Reactions: Mudwing
DBD

DBD

Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone removed the sway bar? Does the rear articulate any better? Does the ride feel smoother?
Yes much smoother on softest setting. No more teetering on rocky terrain. Be careful with body roll especially with 4 ppl in cab. I have aggressive 28×10 tires and a 2" lift and have had it on 2 wheels on turf. But as for hill climbing or rocky stuff it is much better. With it removed I've probably avoided a few rolls so far on gnarly trails.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yes much smoother on softest setting. No more teetering on rocky terrain. Be careful with body roll especially with 4 ppl in cab. I have aggressive 28×10 tires and a 2" lift and have had it on 2 wheels on turf. But as for hill climbing or rocky stuff it is much better. With it removed I've probably avoided a few rolls so far on gnarly trails.
Thank you so much for the reply! It will be a done deal tomorrow!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should have mentioned I took mine off a few weeks ago. Yes, there is a noticeable improvement, esp on twisty stuff. It's not (to me) as dramatic as it was on the 500, but on the other side of the coin, the "sway" in the corners doesn't seem that much worse either.

I'd imagine it might be worse on 4 seaters with passengers or with a load in the back, but hauling weight and ass at the same time seems like asking for it anyway, so mine will collect dust in the corner...right beside the 500's old bar.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I am manly in a lot of ways, but with a wrench I am more like a 4 year old 😅 . Took me a solid 4 hours to put on a rear light with a rocker switch
I'm not sure on the 700 but the Talon needs both links removed and the sway bar tied up or it will hit the upper trailing arm when articulating.

You can see the upper trailing arm in the lower right with the brake line. The end of the sway bar will hit it if both links aren't removed and the SB tied up. Just an FYI

I 9P5S7w3 L

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm not sure on the 700 but the Talon needs both links removed and the sway bar tied up or it will hit the upper trailing arm when articulating.

You can see the upper trailing arm in the lower right with the brake line. The end of the sway bar will hit it if both links aren't removed and the SB tied up. Just an FYI

View attachment 228461

So all that needs to be done is remove the links and tie up the bar?

Reactions: Isaiah
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
DBD

DBD

Jun 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did the same thing except I put the bolts back the the frame.
I sprayed the tubes up and down with fluid film, like I do with about every hole I find, or make. That is a great thought though, I'm putting them back in as I type... Well actually taking a drink of beer as I type, in between bolts. At this rate I should finish the beer as I tighten the last one😎🍺

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!