P700 Sway Bar removed ride tests

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Completed my test rides with sway bar disconnected and Commander shocks installed all the way around. I raced dirt track cars for years and know a little bit about sliding into corners.

My 700-4 rolled a lot while turning even with the Commander Shocks installed and sway bar disconnected. It was so bad a few times it really got my attention. I also noticed it was a bit unstable over 30 mph on the gravel levy road I completed my "high speed" tests upon. Rode some knarly rocky and sandy desert trails too.

I now know why the sway bar is there and mine is now reconnected and will remain that way unless I am in need of serious (more) articulation. After reinstalling the sway bar, my 700-4 is way more stable during hard cornering and high speed maneuvering.

The Commander shocks are a worthy upgrade.....my second best upgrade to the 700.
The best upgrade so far..... Ezsteer POWER STEERING.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
How would you compare the following:
Stock shocks with the swaybar disconnected -vs- Commander shocks with the swaybar

Reactions: joeymt33
Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
My unprofessional seat of my pants feel test with sway bar disconnected was with the Commander shocks, I can only guess roll might be worse with stock Honda shocks. Without the sway bar connected, any vehicle designed to have one will have less roll control and physics takes over. Think about it.

Honda Engineers designed a sway bar into the suspension for a good reason.......improving roll control......and it works. In my humble opinion, remove the sway bar from your suspension at your's and your passengers peril.

Reactions: tradosaurus
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My old P700 and my buddy's P700 will slide side ways in dry grass and that's with 28" tires.

Which by the way, tires play a big roll in this conversation. Ply ratings and pressure will make a big difference.

Here's a vid of my old P700 sliding sideways in mud. I know that's not a big deal but it shows the capability. After I go by in the P1000, my buddy comes around the corner with his P700

Sent from my iPhone 10s

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My unprofessional seat of my pants feel test with sway bar disconnected was with the Commander shocks, I can only guess roll might be worse with stock Honda shocks. Without the sway bar connected, any vehicle designed to have one will have less roll control and physics takes over. Think about it.

Honda Engineers designed a sway bar into the suspension for a good reason.......improving roll control......and it works. In my humble opinion, remove the sway bar from your suspension at your's and your passengers peril.

I removed mine. I hope that anyone removing the swaybar fully understands the design principle and the risk associated with it's removal.
The addition of a swaybar improves cornering stability, which under certain circumstances means prevention of a complete rollover. It also results in a rougher ride on uneven ground.

The price for this added stability is reduced articulation of the suspension. I'm my case it meant one wheel off the ground, loss of traction and me having to winch my way out of a rut.

I will not put the swaybar back on, but I will not advise anyone else to take theirs off.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
My old P700 and my buddy's P700 will slide side ways in dry grass and that's with 28" tires.

Which by the way, tires play a big roll in this conversation. Ply ratings and pressure will make a big difference.

Here's a vid of my old P700 sliding sideways in mud. I know that's not a big deal but it shows the capability. After I go by in the P1000, my buddy comes around the corner with his P700

Sent from my iPhone 10s
I can get the rear to kick out into a controlled slide around corners on dirt with the sway bar connected whenever I want to have some fun. I don't like the whole Rig sliding sideways.....I think that would be called out of control! LOL!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Sent from my iPhone 10s
Joe do run swaybar?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
Mines disconnected, but my machine rarely sees speeds over 25mph, and that's driving down the road to get to the trail. The wife and I are the only ones who drive it so donuts and "driving it hard into a corner" are not anything we are into. As said above, I'd rather keep all four on the ground while traversing the rough terrain I ride. I also agree, disconnecting it may not be for everyone and that by doing so one assumes a certain level of risk.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joe do run swaybar?

I will not be removing the sway bar on the P1000, it already feels a little too heavy to me with all the weight of extra battery, speaker, lights, roof, etc.

It wouldn't be to hard to disconnect it and try it but I don't think it's a good idea for me.

I had it removed completely on the P700 and loved it.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I can get the rear to kick out into a controlled slide around corners on dirt with the sway bar connected whenever I want to have some fun. I don't like the whole Rig sliding sideways.....I think that would be called out of control! LOL!

Oh yeah, he's out of control! That was his first time driving a SXS as he just bought it from me. I would say that turn was a little slick for him. I came around the turn in a controlled drift and I always laugh at the video of @DGann spinning left and right slinging mud.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh yeah, he's out of control! That was his first time driving a SXS as he just bought it from me. I would say that turn was a little slick for him. I came around the turn in a controlled drift and I always laugh at the video of @DGann spinning left and right slinging mud.
I thought there was a bee in the sxs

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2

Now that doesn't mean out of control, That means he's having fun.

Reactions: DGann and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My Ol lady knows when I screw up my hand is tighter on the steering wheel then my beer:)

tradosaurus

tradosaurus

Jun 2, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-4

Old post but I was considering removing my sway bar on my stock 700-4.
Don't think I will after reading this.
All our riding is either 10 mph or less on our property doing chores or 35 mph on paved roads riding around the country.

SwampFox112

SwampFox112

Nov 19, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Completed my test rides with sway bar disconnected and Commander shocks installed all the way around. I raced dirt track cars for years and know a little bit about sliding into corners.

My 700-4 rolled a lot while turning even with the Commander Shocks installed and sway bar disconnected. It was so bad a few times it really got my attention. I also noticed it was a bit unstable over 30 mph on the gravel levy road I completed my "high speed" tests upon. Rode some knarly rocky and sandy desert trails too.

I now know why the sway bar is there and mine is now reconnected and will remain that way unless I am in need of serious (more) articulation. After reinstalling the sway bar, my 700-4 is way more stable during hard cornering and high speed maneuvering.

The Commander shocks are a worthy upgrade.....my second best upgrade to the 700.
The best upgrade so far..... Ezsteer POWER STEERING.

4x4 people buy and install high dollar anti sway bars for a good reason.
I'll leave mine on.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Watch this video on the difference in ride and articulation
I posted this in the other thread too.

Good job with the video. I will save it for showing the seemingly hundreds of questions (including my own a couple years ago) that show up here and on the FB groups asking why remove the bar.

BUT I also need to know what you did for behind the grill lighting that you can see at the end of the vid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!