P1000 Switch Wiring

DerekC

DerekC

May 19, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I'm using the OTRATTW 5pin switches. The bottom right prong says to hook to a wire such as a lighting wire that will be activated when you turn lights on. I can't for the life of me get this to work. There are 4 colored wires coming from light switch; white, blue, black, tan. I tried to tap into both blue and white with no luck.

I've driven around in the wilderness long enough. It's time to stop and ask for directions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mystic1219

mystic1219

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jul 3, 2015
I believe it's tan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

DerekC

DerekC

May 19, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tan did not work. Cbab5cba1586e3fc5c3fb0c1a1e2e16a

DerekC

DerekC

May 19, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys! I've got some troubleshooting to do!

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure you are getting the wire pierced? We all have the same wiring...Your's won't be any different.

DerekC

DerekC

May 19, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you sure you are getting the wire pierced? We all have the same wiring...Your's won't be any different.

Oh, there's no doubt I'm doing something wrong just can't figure out what that is.

advertisement
DerekC

DerekC

May 19, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You also have to have the ground side... Grounded!

Ha! If you're judging me by my pic then I had already taken some stuff back apart. I do have a question however. Are you able to hook 2 different gauge wires together; such as a 12 g to a 16g?

Reactions: Hondasxs
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha! If you're judging me by my pic then I had already taken some stuff back apart. I do have a question however. Are you able to hook 2 different gauge wires together; such as a 12 g to a 16g?

Anything can be done, I have used a sheet metal screw in place of a glass fuse to get home for example. But to your question...

There is basic electrical protocol that should always be followed, that's why NEMA is about a gazillion pages long. Follow that protocol and immediately your project is professional. I'm not saying you need to follow NEMA or any other standard to the letter, but look at how the factory puts things together and you'll get a good picture of how it's done.

So...
Don't mix gauges of conductor (wire) unless it goes through a terminal/fuse/breaker block and is properly overload protected (fuse or breaker).
Keep colors consistent throughout the project.
Solder and shrink tube is always a good idea.
GROUND, GROUND and check your ground. More problems come from bad ground than you can imagine.
Etc., etc...

It's hard to judge from the internet, but you may be in over your head on this project. To save grief or damage, get some help from someone who knows what they are doing or STUDY up on proper electrical procedures/protocol.

GOOD LUCK with your project!!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. Splicing a 12 and 16g together is not a big deal. But don't go any bigger. But recommend sticking to the same.

Did u get it figured out yet?

Going off the picture of the switch above.
If you...
Ground 7, jump it to 8.
Connect 6 to the brown wire on the switch wires.
Then, turn lights on then switch lights should work.

But keep in mind. There are several different brands and styles of switches they can wire differently.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: DerekC
DerekC

DerekC

May 19, 2017
Little Rock, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with @Plongson. Time for some hands on help.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Hard to find...if anyone lives near the central Arkansas area, I would gladly drive my stuff over for a tutorial!

Reactions: Ragnar406
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hard to find...if anyone lives near the central Arkansas area, I would gladly drive my stuff over for a tutorial!

Are you coming next weekend? @my99svt and @Tigermark can make your wiring pretty... I just make a rats nest. But my wiring all works. Ask them both how much they have had to rewrite... lol seriously though, if I had a problem it would take me days to figure out in my rats nest. There will be plenty of guys there who can help you.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!