Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Back when I spent a lot of time on the Rzr forums, I read multiple posts concerning drum strength with rope vs cable winches. Apparently, when the steel cable is spooled on the drum, it doesn't tighten down on the drum when under load because it doesn't squish together so to speak, it takes a lot of the pressure as the cable strands are layered on top of each other . Rope on the other hand is able to squeeze together as it gets tighter and doesn't layer up as well, which has been known to make some drums crack under load.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for elaborating. It's not a twisting force, it's the compression force on the drum if I understand correctly.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have heard this too. About the split drums. But I think it was from people jerking on them or something.
I wan't go back to cable for anything nowadays. I have been overly impressed with the capabilities of the rope.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'd like to see the percentage of wire vs. rope. I've been wire but recently switched but haven't used it. On the Internet it's like Ford/Chevy everyone has an opinion. Hell I thought I was right but there is now synthetic on my reel...

Reactions: joeymt33
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
I'm the only one left I guess, cable all the way. It's all about maintenance you take care of your cable and it will take care of you. Am I Ford or Chevy ? LOL. As far as weight goes, really. Don't eat that donut in the morning and you more than made up for it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did not say I've switched "I'm testing the water for myself " if I hate it it's only a 30$ mistake. If I love it then I was wrong. But I do listen. I'm not good with maintaining or being easy on things and I expect them to work anyway (that's why the Honda)so I guess we'll see. I don't give two craps about the weight 10 pounds either way 18" off the ground you'll never feel on a 1700 pound vehicle carrying five adults and 100 pounds of electronics, I don't buy into that. I just want it to work!

Reactions: MAV and sharp
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
@CumminsPusher let us know. Real old school here. It's not broke why fix it...lol. Cable always done me well, not saying the rope isn't better OR equal. Then again maybe just another product we have to buy.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Will do. I just wanted to see what everyone is raving about. I honestly hope it's better I'm sick of taking the bumper off to replace it ( ya I know guys that like to keep winch on the bumper But I like mine under) At least when I break this as well there's less chance of taking out my windshield.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Two Words: Frayed Strands.

Little wires jabbed in my hands hurt. If you've ever had to wipe mud away to figure out which angle the strand is jabbed in so you can pull it back out, you understand. I love the rope.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
about the second or third time I used my wire rope it got a bad kink/flat spot in it. the bike was laying on its side and I was trying to upright it, so there wasn't much ability to "feed" it correctly. the cable was jammed against one roller on the fairlead. when I finally had a chance to pull the cable back out to spool it up nice, it was all jacked up. I'm gonna have to try the synthetic.

Reactions: ohanacreek
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I got mine in and played with it a little but nothing hard. It feels cheap!! I know its strong but feels so light it's going to take some getting use too! Can't wait to give it hell

advertisement
Toyhauler33

Toyhauler33

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mid Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had an Amsteel blue synthetic rope on my Toyota(9k harbor freight winch) for 10+ years and just now had it break (twice). It's been outside in the sun and submerged so many times I've lost track. Best part for me was being able to tie the hook back on and still use it without weaving cables together.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We used our new synthetic rope last weekend and so far so good I'll say no problems. The only complaint I had was the it retained mud. But we used it and everything good. It's easier to roll up but you have to be a little more cautious.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ive only had one other winch and it's on my Foreman. It is steel also. I chose steel for the Pioneer mainly cause I'm just old school and like metal (same reason I went with aluminum skid). I've only used my winch 3 times and the cable looks like crap. Joey can testify to this. Broken strands everywhere and one place that is mashed flat. Admittedly I was working the hell out of it this last time but I still think it should've lasted better than that. I was stuck good and had so much weight against me it stalled my 4500lb winch even using a snatch block. I'm seriously considering going bigger on winch size. Or stay out of mud (and we know that ain't happening lol).

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ive only had one other winch and it's on my Foreman. It is steel also. I chose steel for the Pioneer mainly cause I'm just old school and like metal (same reason I went with aluminum skid). I've only used my winch 3 times and the cable looks like crap. Joey can testify to this. Broken strands everywhere and one place that is mashed flat. Admittedly I was working the hell out of it this last time but I still think it should've lasted better than that. I was stuck good and had so much weight against me it stalled my 4500lb winch even using a snatch block. I'm seriously considering going bigger on winch size. Or stay out of mud (and we know that ain't happening lol).
Go any bigger you'll be putting a truck winch on there!

Reactions: joeymt33
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go any bigger you'll be putting a truck winch on there!
Joey seemed to think my battery voltage might've been a little low. I have no idea what the actual problem was I just know I need to know for sure it'll get me out of a bind. Any bind. There's a 6000lb winch on Amazon but hate to spend 400 bucks just for an extra 1500lbs. Hopefully it was just overloaded by the mountain of mud it was pushing up. The farther it came along the more mud got pushed up. I'm looking forward to the high mount for the winch on the Strongmade bumper I ordered today. I like having easy access to the winch.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Joey seemed to think my battery voltage might've been a little low. I have no idea what the actual problem was I just know I need to know for sure it'll get me out of a bind. Any bind. There's a 6000lb winch on Amazon but hate to spend 400 bucks just for an extra 1500lbs. Hopefully it was just overloaded by the mountain of mud it was pushing up. The farther it came along the more mud got pushed up. I'm looking forward to the high mount for the winch on the Strongmade bumper I ordered today. I like having easy access to the winch.

Looks like a voltage meter is not to far down the list.

Sent from my iPad 7G

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Oh yeah, I've got two batteries and I see my voltage drop to 10 volts while pulling with the engine running. It dropped that low and I didn't work the winch as long as you did.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like a voltage meter is not to far down the list.

Sent from my iPad 7G
Im thinking you're probably right. That was some serious abuse lol. Headed to bed y'all. Joey I'll see you in the morning.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
10:00am, gotcha. Don't be stuck when we get there.

Sent from my iPad 7G

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
As luck would have it... I needed my winch(s). My son had used the 4-wheeler and the winch had a backlash in it that would rival my fishing reel.
After cutting the cable into 6 pieces to get it out, I installed the synthetic rope (intended for the SxS).

I put 50' of 1/4" synthetic rope on a warn 3500# winch. It is full and I will have to always wind it up neatly or it will be an issue. This winch came with 50' of 3/16" wire cable.

Last edited:
advertisement