P1000 Synthetic Winch Cable

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a new winch, viper max 5000. I ordered the steel cable and I’m regretting it, I don’t like the way it winds up. I think it’s just got too much cable on it and in going to try taking 5 feet off. I’m eventually going to order a synthetic cable but I see a lot of reviews about them snapping and I don’t want to be stranded. Does anyone have any suggestions for an after market synthetic cable that will pull a 1000-5 out of whatever I get stuck in. There are a lot of options on eBay and Amazon. I would prefer to go with a proven one.

Reactions: JACKAL
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I buy 3 at a time, one for each winch and a spare. I use the winches heavily around the homestead and occasionally on the trail.

Make sure you replace any fairlead youve used with the steel rope as any scratches or burrs will immediately damage a synthetic rope.

I’ve bought these since I’ve owned a Pioneer and haven’t had them snap yet, I do take care of my ropes though.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a new winch, viper max 5000. I ordered the steel cable and I’m regretting it, I don’t like the way it winds up. I think it’s just got too much cable on it and in going to try taking 5 feet off. I’m eventually going to order a synthetic cable but I see a lot of reviews about them snapping and I don’t want to be stranded. Does anyone have any suggestions for an after market synthetic cable that will pull a 1000-5 out of whatever I get stuck in. There are a lot of options on eBay and Amazon. I would prefer to go with a proven one.
The amsteel blue ropes that come on the viper winches are pretty reliable, I have a viper elite widespool and haven’t had any issues with my rope. You need to switch sooner than later, as that cable pulls tights it will scratch up the drum which will shorten your rope life when you switch.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I buy 3 at a time, one for each winch and a spare. I use the winches heavily around the homestead and occasionally on the trail.

Make sure you replace any fairlead youve used with the steel rope as any scratches or burrs will immediately damage a synthetic rope.

I’ve bought these since I’ve owned a Pioneer and haven’t had them snap yet, I do take care of my ropes though.

That’s cheap, I might have to grab one of those to keep as a spare.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've never snapped a synthetic rope and I probably don't take real good care of them. I maybe wash it once a year. Ill never own another steel cable. Frays, kinks, and the fact its a lethal weapon every time you use it. Synthetic is the way to go.

Make sure you clean up the drum too when you switch.

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

X2 This is what I have had for years and for the price if your really worried buy 2

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another question. If you can’t tell. I’m new to the sxs world. I’m figuring out that if have a question of how to do something somebody else has already figured it out. What’s the best way to use your winch to get a deer in the back of your 1000?

Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put this in google

honda pioneer 1000-5 deer in back

and liked this ne the best (google is your friend)

advertisement
S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was thinking a pulley or roller mounted high enough off front bumper to clear hood then a pulley hanging down the front and rear roll bar. Then lift the deer up into the bed with the winch. I’ve got a windshield that opens all the way I think I could rig it up.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I was thinking a pulley or roller mounted high enough off front bumper to clear hood then a pulley hanging down the front and rear roll bar. Then lift the deer up into the bed with the winch. I’ve got a windshield that opens all the way I think I could rig it up.
I looked also as I thought someone did this before.
For just a deer and not recovery. I think a custom built roller on a tube that slid over the bumper tube and allowed you to clear the window all together may be something to look at.

Kinda like this. The green is a pipe with a roller or something smooth on the end to change direction. at the top B pillar woudl be a pully.

Reactions: 1Ktrailrider
S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s an idea too. It may be easier to mount the pulley on the tube then on a bar going up to clear the hood. The more I think about it and after looking at your picture I think one pulley on the back roll bar would do it. I just went and looked at it , I’m going to use a piece of square tubing and mount it to both bumper cross bars with ubolts, put a plate on bottom so it sets on top of fairlead. I’m going to Rig an old fairlead up on top as the roller. Put a snatch snatch block pulley on the back roll bar. I will run the winch rope through the cab with windshield swing all the way up. I’ll share pictures if it works.

S

Scamih

Jul 9, 2020
Marshall Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m going to make a riser. I’ve got an extra winch bracket that I’ll use as base, weld square tubing to it secure to the bumper with ubolts. I’ll share a picture when I’m done. I think it’s going to work. I am going to run the cable straight to the back roll bar and use the snatch block pulley that came with my winch . I think I’ll have 20$ in it when I’m done. I plan to keep this pioneer forever and I plan to kill a lot of deer and haul them with it.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if anyone had tried using 3/8" synthetic line over the 1/4"? Probably have to drill the hole in the barrel out but I had to do that on another with when going from cable to synthetic.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have several of those, one being 18K for winch on rear of skidsteer.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wonder if anyone had tried using 3/8" synthetic line over the 1/4"? Probably have to drill the hole in the barrel out but I had to do that on another with when going from cable to synthetic.
I bought a 3/8" line and could only get about 30' on my spool. I went back to the 1/4" on the winch and kept the 3/8" for an extension cable.

Reactions: BigOL3 and TripleB
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How often do you replace them? Btw I ordered what you suggested.

Had mine for 3 years with no problem. I do clean it after we get home anytime I use it and get mud all over it. I pulled a Razor 4 seater out of some super deep sand just the other day.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!